July 31, 2014, 05:04:22 AM

Author Topic: What will happen to 5Dii prize when/if entry full frame (6D?) is announced?  (Read 7634 times)

Setazo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I'm strongly considering buying a 5dii, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to wait until photokina and see if prize goes down.

What do you think? will the prize of the 5dii change if a new entry full frame is introduced?

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I was really hoping to see a lower priced Full Frame by September.  I am beginning to have my doubts.  With the 1DX and the 5D III selling well (dispite the price  >:(), plus the recent firmware upgrade to the 7D I'm afraid we may have to wait until next year for a 7D II, 70D or 3D.  I got about $2,400 hundred but away now, and am socking away $150 a month so if they continue to "hold out" I will be in 5D III territory in the late Spring.  I'm hitting the limits of my 50D (resolution, low light performance, focusing) so I'm looking to upgrade.  Good camera but I do so want to upgrade.  A 5D II is 4 year old technology and a 7D is 3 years old.  I'll continue to be patient
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
Hi there,

I'm strongly considering buying a 5dii, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to wait until photokina and see if prize goes down.

What do you think? will the prize of the 5dii change if a new entry full frame is introduced?

Cheers

Price will go UP
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Price will go UP
I don't see that. If the new full-frame is announced at $2000, the 5dII price will plummet. If it's announced at $2500, then the 5dII price will stay the same. Remember, the 5dII is now retailing at $2200, so, they'll either discontinue it or have to drop that retail price when they announce a new version.

If no new version is announced at Photokina, then I think you'll see prices go lower a little bit. There will be some holiday sales, etc. Nothing major.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
Body prices have never gone up upon being replaced.  It will go down.  Everytime a model goes out, the price drops dramatically sometimes.  Just look at the 1Ds2, 1Ds3 models.  Now the interesting one is the 1D4, didn't drop much, but it still dropped.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Big question is whether or not a 5DII will even be available if a new "entry-level" full frame is announced.

Look at what happened to the 580 EXII. New ones are almost impossible to find and the price has gone up well above what it was before the announcement of the 600 EX. I don't know if Canon bought back the old stock or what, but they seem to have done a pretty good job of scrubbing them from the market. (B&H seems to be about the only major retailer who still lists them in stock – if you want to pay more than what they cost at introduction.)

Granted, strobes are not cameras, but if I were sure I wanted a new 5DII, regardless of what the entry-level full frame camera might be like, I think I'd be shopping now. If you are not sure, you better resign yourself to accept that new 5DIIs could be impossible to find once a new full frame camera is announced. If you are willing to wait a year or more after the introduction of the mystery full framer and buy used, the price might go down. But then, you'll be buying technology that is at least five, and possibly six, years old at that point.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

mhvogel.de

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
nothing.

canon rumors FORUM

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
wouldn't the D600 make the 5D2 price drop?

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
I don't think the price can go any lower. If Canon launches a 2K FF camera, I'd assume they would immediately discontinue the 5DII. The result could then raise the 5DII's price from smaller dealers. Just look what happened to the 24-70L as soon as it was discontinued!

Also, what if Canon releases a 2K FF camera that has worse build quality than the 5DII & no changeable focusing screen?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
Also, what if Canon releases a 2K FF camera that has worse build quality than the 5DII & no changeable focusing screen?

My guess is that the build quality will be very similar to the 5D2 since that does still put it below the 5D3.

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
Price will go UP
Lol.  Please go to buy hundreds of 5D3, so you can sell them to make profit later.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Look at what happened to the 580 EXII. New ones are almost impossible to find and the price has gone up well above what it was before the announcement of the 600 EX.
In the new market, yes, in the used market, not so much. That's one of things I think a lot of people are forgetting, there are a TON of 5dII's that were bought in the last year, and those people would probably upgrade to a better AF system if possible. There's also still the refurbished route, which Canon maintains on products they've discontinued like the T1i for example. I can get a refurb 580EX II for $339 +tax right now, and its $399+tax normally. I can't imagine the 5dII refurb disappearing from the Canon store, so, at worst, that price will stay the same

I don't think the price can go any lower. If Canon launches a 2K FF camera, I'd assume they would immediately discontinue the 5DII. The result could then raise the 5DII's price from smaller dealers. Just look what happened to the 24-70L as soon as it was discontinued!
And that is because there is no replacement. Simple supply and demand; a lot of people need the 24-70 in their kit, and its impossible to get a new one from an authorized dealer. If Canon completely killed off the 5dII (0 stock anywhere, no refurbs) and didn't deliver the 6D for a year, then yes, 5dII prices would go higher. But they'd all be used, and it'd be a different story. It'd be a secondary concern to the fact they'd have destroyed their reputation and lost a lot of photographers who bought Nikon instead

Also, note that lenses hold their value much better, often rising in price over time. The same isn't true of camera bodies, where you are lucky to hold 50% of its value 5 years after its released.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:45:34 PM by preppyak »

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
Price will go UP
Lol.  Please go to buy hundreds of 5D3, so you can sell them to make profit later.

;D ;D ;D....we all know that 5D II is NOT a collectable item
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

jdramirez

• View Profile
Price will go UP

;D ;D ;D....we all know that 5D II is NOT a collectable item

Seriously.  So why have I not taken the wrapping off the box?  :(
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Price is likely to be same for now. There is a good chance that 5D2 will be discontinued if Canon releases "another" entry level FF camera.

For now, 5D2 is a perfect entry level FF with a very good sensor. All that Canon need to do is take 5D2, swap the AF system with the one from 7D, improve ergonomics a little bit, may be add pop-up flash and couple of new features and sell it with a price tag of $2500 or below. If Canon does that, than 5D2 will be discontinued.

canon rumors FORUM