October 22, 2014, 10:01:28 PM

Author Topic: What will happen to 5Dii prize when/if entry full frame (6D?) is announced?  (Read 7866 times)

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Who knows how long we gonna wait for the new FF body from Canon. Photokina is in about 3 weeks, Nikon discontinued their D700, they got more images of the D600, the middle of September release dates are floating around, so yeah... things are happening on the Dark Side. As for Canon.... well, I don't see anything more or less solid here... I'm not gonna be surprised if we see the new FF way after Nikon's announcement - closer to the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong - I need a new FF badly. As for MKII pricing - most likely the used market will be quite good, so i would look there...
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Price will go UP
Lol.  Please go to buy hundreds of 5D3, so you can sell them to make profit later.

;D ;D ;D....we all know that 5D II is NOT a collectable item

Seriously.  So why have I not taken the wrapping off the box?  :(

Not enough AF points  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Can't say if there will be a new FF "entry camera". 

Can say - the 5Dii is already all but discontinued.  Canon's way is not "officially" retire a model until well after their own stocks have been depleted and then more time, to allow dealer's shelves to be depleted.  They have always, with maybe one exception, done it that way.

As for a "6D", you wont see that number in Canon's nomenclature for a single digit camera.  Never has happened since day one.  Its always been 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, not necessarily in that order. 

I think the long rumored 3D is getting more likely every day.  Maybe we'll see that as the "killer" and the 5Diii move down some more.  Thats another thing that Canon has done traditionally.  I think they're at mid level bloat right now... low end should drop some more, mid level spread out a little and/or be trimmed. 

Canon has had very predictable marketing - for the most part - its just what feature set they'll offer thats up to being questioned.

I can see them doing a 5Ds (or similar suffix other than "X"), as a lower end 5 series, but not a 6 series, or sensor upgraded 7 series.  The niches Canon carves are carved deeper in stone - traditionally - than you might realize, unless you have followed the company since the late 60's.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hell the 5DIII is being sold for less than $3k all over the web, I'm surprised the Mark II price hasn't tanked more.  But I've been seeing more and more being sold in the $1400-$1500 range used.  Wondering if I should go ahead and get rid of mine or not...
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Hell the 5DIII is being sold for less than $3k all over the web, I'm surprised the Mark II price hasn't tanked more.  But I've been seeing more and more being sold in the $1400-$1500 range used.  Wondering if I should go ahead and get rid of mine or not...

Really 5D3 less than 3k$? I havent seen that yet, maybe I dont look hard enough! I honestly can say I dont see a entry level full frame camera coming out. It would have to be just barely better than the 5D2 because I dont see the 5D3 as that much different than the 5D2. I know the ISO is better and its got a nicer screen with better ergonomics, faster FPS, better processor. I would put my money on something better than the 5D3 coming out, something with more megapixels and a considerable amount more. Thus like others have said here moving the 5D3 down a notch and 5D2 going away after some time. I just think that the 5D2 and 5D3 arent separated by a large enough gap to have another camera slammed in the middle of the two.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
From what I've seen in the past, prices of a existing model drop severely before a new model is announced, and then rebound afterwards.
However, the 5D MK II has held its value very well over the years and may very well go down a few more dollars if a new $2,000 model comes out.  However, Canon has not been shy about pricing of new models, so I'd expect more like $2700.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
As with new releases price will probably be higher than the previous model it replaces. It cannot be much higher though because it will compete with 5DMkIII. Even so I do not expect the price of 5DMkII to drop a lot.

canon rumors FORUM

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
From what I've seen in the past, prices of a existing model drop severely before a new model is announced, and then rebound afterwards.
However, the 5D MK II has held its value very well over the years and may very well go down a few more dollars if a new $2,000 model comes out.  However, Canon has not been shy about pricing of new models, so I'd expect more like $2700.

Now this seems a tad more realistic for me. I seriously would be blown away if canon put out a new entry level FF for 2k$ it seems far to inexpensive to me. I couldnt imagine the entry level FF would be on par or have less features than the 5D2 it would have to be an upgrade from that. I think you're right 2700$ seems correct unless the 5d3 is going to be 3000$ then who knows!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

stevenrrmanir

the real question is what will the 5D MKIII do when the Nikon D600 at less than $2000 come out?

the 6D is dead on arrival at this time when compared to the competition - sure, it may be an achievement for Canon, but it will be insignificant in the larger scheme of things...

lukaszb

Hi there,

I'm strongly considering buying a 5dii, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to wait until photokina and see if prize goes down.

What do you think? will the prize of the 5dii change if a new entry full frame is introduced?

Cheers

If you need it for work then just buy it.  If it's a hobby just wait.  The price of cameras will always go down, it doesn't mean it will drop significantly right away.

5DMKII has been very popular for such a long time.  The future/upcoming camera's specs and price will determine by how much the MKII will drop.

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
All that Canon need to do is take 5D2, swap the AF system with the one from 7D, improve ergonomics a little bit, add pop-up flash and couple of new features and sell it with a price tag of $2500 or below.

Yes please! This is EXACTLY how I would want an entry FF to look like.

My guess is that they also would probably add the articulating screen? Think big brother of 60D.
(Although I would prefer the 7D/5D setup with magnesium body, weather sealing, and fixed screen)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I feel that the new camera will not be a superset of 5DMkII. For example the 5DMkIII although superior to 5DMkII in so many things it has no user replaceable screen and a debatable (for still shouters) stronger AA filter.

In a similar way I assume that a new (say 6D) FF camera will have some improvements but it will lack in other points. We'll see...

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Who knows how long we gonna wait for the new FF body from Canon. Photokina is in about 3 weeks, Nikon discontinued their D700, they got more images of the D600, the middle of September release dates are floating around, so yeah... things are happening on the Dark Side. As for Canon.... well, I don't see anything more or less solid here... I'm not gonna be surprised if we see the new FF way after Nikon's announcement - closer to the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong - I need a new FF badly. As for MKII pricing - most likely the used market will be quite good, so i would look there...
Historically, in terms of product announcement to product availability for purchase, the difference between Canon & Nikon is that when Nikon announces a product it takes really long before it becomes available for purchase ... Canon on the other hand is much quicker to get the product available for purchase ... I know there will be people who will dispute this by pointing out EF 200-400 lens (which by the way is an exception) ... but for overall availability Canon is much quicker ... so I would not be surprised if Nikon announces D600 at Photokia but still does not get it to the stores until Canon releases their 2nd Full frame (if there is one). Take for example the D800 which was announced ahead of 5D3 but it is still not widely available at stores ... B&H still has it as "Pre order. Released in limited qty", whereas 5D3 is readily available for purchase ... before any of you jump on that to say that to say that "5D3 does not sell as much as D800", read further, B&H clearly states "Supply from Nikon is extremely limited".

Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

twdi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I've bought a 5DmkII two months ago and used is in august during a 21 days trip through British Columbia Canada. If BIF is your major goal, don't buy it, for everything else:

BUY IT.

it's amazing and I'm very happy with it. I've shot great looking picture with differs a lot from the 30D it replaced. I've compared it with a 7D. Also an amazing camera bit if you like to crop your pictures you'll defenately see the difference. The 5DmkII IQ remains great at pixellevel.

So, I'm a very happy 5DmkII user and from the money I've saved compared to the 5DmkIII, I could almost buy the 300F4IS. Just see:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tdieltjes/5DmkIISamples#

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
So, I'm a very happy 5DmkII user and from the money I've saved compared to the 5DmkIII, I could almost buy the 300F4IS. Just see:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tdieltjes/5DmkIISamples#
Nice
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM