October 02, 2014, 04:35:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.0.6  (Read 8262 times)

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.0.6
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
i have mountain lion and no card reader. i can't update it. ha!
Usually I update camera body firmware through Canon software directly via USB cable. So I don't need card reader at all.

Is it me or did the menu speed up also? It feels faster when selecting menu-items...
You know that feeling when you have updated video card driver on your computer from version 162.31 to 162.62 and the colors became juicy, motion pictures smoother and everything started working faster. That's how self-deception works  ;)

Ah, so you mean how people just guess on something without having any means of knowing?
I don't speak English often, so my statement could have been got wrong. It was a joke which I think is very close to phrase "every frog praises its own swamp", which means "we are so proud of something that we're not able to see things as they really are". I've recalled myself in similar situation  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
Both the 5D3 and 1DX have issues with the 200/2.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

scokar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
interesting ... none are the standard Canon "rare" phenomenons

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
i have mountain lion and no card reader. i can't update it. ha!
Usually I update camera body firmware through Canon software directly via USB cable. So I don't need card reader at all.

Is it me or did the menu speed up also? It feels faster when selecting menu-items...
You know that feeling when you have updated video card driver on your computer from version 162.31 to 162.62 and the colors became juicy, motion pictures smoother and everything started working faster. That's how self-deception works  ;)

Ah, so you mean how people just guess on something without having any means of knowing?
I don't speak English often, so my statement could have been got wrong. It was a joke which I think is very close to phrase "every frog praises its own swamp", which means "we are so proud of something that we're not able to see things as they really are". I've recalled myself in similar situation  :)

I knew what you meant.  Just like my car always seems to run better/smoother when I wash it.   :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
Sorry to keep asking questions but I really would hate to mess this up.

If Canon says the file is 33.04 MB then that should calculate to 33,812,480 bytes (33.04 X 1024).  The extracted FIR file that I have downloaded is 32,988,060 bytes according to the "properties" function. 

I confess I am not a computer person but it sounds like my file is not complete.  Any help appreciated.

Mine says 33 MB on disk (32,988,060 bytes).  You're fine, just go for it. 

BTW, your math is wrong, you need two factors of 1024: bytes to kilobytes then kilobytes to megabytes (meaning 32,988,060 bytes = 31.46 MB), but also hard drives have a minimum block size that means files take up more room than their actual size, and that minimum block size increases with larger drives, and is dependent on the OS.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Virgil Quick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Just a little over cautious I guess.

If Canon says the file is 33.04 MB then that should calculate to 33,812,480 bytes (33.04 X 1024).  The extracted FIR file that I have downloaded is 32,988,060 bytes according to the "properties" function. 

I confess I am not a computer person but it sounds like my file is not complete.  Any help appreciated.

BTW, your math is wrong, you need two factors of 1024: bytes to kilobytes then kilobytes to megabytes (meaning 32,988,060 bytes = 31.46 MB), but also hard drives have a minimum block size that means files take up more room than their actual size, and that minimum block size increases with larger drives, and is dependent on the OS.

heheapa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
Just updated the firmware. The Err80 issue is gone. The AF at Extreme low light works better than before. Will test the Micro Adjustment later this weekend if that works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
Ah good catch on the two factor.  I think most of his error is related to the extra bytes from the large block sizes.

I would also hope that Canon provides internal CRC checking to make sure the FIR is intact and not corrupted.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
Ah good catch on the two factor.  I think most of his error is related to the extra bytes from the large block sizes.

I would also hope that Canon provides internal CRC checking to make sure the FIR is intact and not corrupted.

From wikipedia: 
The megabyte (abbreviated as Mbyte or MB) is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information storage or transmission with three different values depending on context: 1048576 bytes (220) generally for computer memory; and one million bytes (106, see prefix mega-) generally for computer storage.[1][3] In rare cases, it is used to mean 1000×1024 (1024000) bytes. The IEEE Standards Board has confirmed that mega- means 1000000, with exceptions allowed for the base-two meaning.

So it kinda depends, huh?

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »
The AF at Extreme low light works better than before.

Really? I'll be sure to try out asap! Thanks for the tip.

*UPDATE* Nope, absolutely no difference with mine with the same tests I did yesterday against the 5d2...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:08:40 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
For some reason. AF auto adjustment isn't working for me. Neither is saving the serial number!.. I manually input my 85 1.2 serial and gave it an AF Microadjustment setting. Turned off the camera, did the same for the 50 1.4.. Turned off, put back the 85 and it's not recognized (now it appears as[01]EF85mm f/1.2L II USM.

arrghhh~!

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:27 PM »
*Update* seems to be working now. Will do further testing.

bkorcel

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
So here is the thing.  I'm not sure this is related or not but if the lens doesn't report the serial number to the camera, entering it into the AFMA setting doesn't help.  The camera will still revert back to the what is read from the lens.  If the serial number isn't readable, it will still save the AFMA value for the lens (identified as serial 00000000) you just cant save AFMA values for multiple copies of the same lens.  You can only do that for lenses that actually report back their serial number to the camera.

Is it that the lenses are not reporting their SN or is it the camera not saving it once it's detected and read from the lens?

For some reason. AF auto adjustment isn't working for me. Neither is saving the serial number!.. I manually input my 85 1.2 serial and gave it an AF Microadjustment setting. Turned off the camera, did the same for the 50 1.4.. Turned off, put back the 85 and it's not recognized (now it appears as[01]EF85mm f/1.2L II USM.

arrghhh~!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
So here is the thing.  I'm not sure this is related or not but if the lens doesn't report the serial number to the camera, entering it into the AFMA setting doesn't help.  The camera will still revert back to the what is read from the lens.  If the serial number isn't readable, it will still save the AFMA value for the lens (identified as serial 00000000) you just cant save AFMA values for multiple copies of the same lens.  You can only do that for lenses that actually report back their serial number to the camera.

Is it that the lenses are not reporting their SN or is it the camera not saving it once it's detected and read from the lens?

I "thought" it wasn't saving it once detected. After further testing, I can safely say that if you manually input a serial number (it's being SAVED); same goes for the AFMA setting.

arrghhh~!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »

There are three situations that I've encountered with various lenses, before this firmware update (which I haven't yet applied, but with Orientation Linked AF Point disabled, AFMA seems to behave normally):

• Serial number reported automatically by lens, AFMA values can be stored for multiple copies of the same lens.  This applies to the newest lenses, like the 40mm f/2.8. 
  • Serial number not reported automatically by lens, can be entered manually, AFMA values can be stored for multiple copies of the same lens.  This is the case for most of my lenses.
  • Serial number not reported automatically by lens, can be entered manually, AFMA values cannot be stored for multiple copies of the same lens.  This is the case for relatively old lenses, including the 135L and the 100-400mm.  For these lenses, on the screen where you manually enter the serial number, there is a asterisk to the left of the row of boxes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »