September 16, 2014, 03:35:55 PM

Author Topic: EOS 5D3 - shooting first wedding on Saturday  (Read 12621 times)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D3 - shooting first wedding on Saturday
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »
I have a wedding coming up in 1 month and I have been going round and round in my head about 5d3 and 5d2. I dont have either camera yet but I sure want one of the two. I see a lot of you have been saying not to be fearless with ISO on 5d3 but what about 5d2? Is the 5d3 a ISO beast compared to 5d2? Basically can you be a bit fearless with 5d2 still?

no brainer - get the 5d3 - better high iso...much better AF...6fps when needed..quiet shutter is so helpful at times...several other small advantages.  also important, in 3-5 years when you're itch'n to upgrade again to the 5d4, the 5d3 will be worth about $1500 more than the 5d2 if you sell it or trade it in.   
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

rhommel

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
brendon, no worries, i just used Adobe Raw's NR for these ones and didn't do much processing. the desaturated look can be blamed from the fog machine... they used it heavily during the first dance (the 2nd image) and the last dance (about 5 minutes before i took the 1st photo)

I am just saying that the 12,800 is still good enough for web posts where the couple (b&g) can post online (facebook, twitter, etc).

this was my first wedding using the 5D3 and wanted to test out the ISO capabilities of the 5D3...

Here are Ryan Benizer's photos using the 5D3 at 12,800

Rest of his 5D3 photos are here:
http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2012/03/a-nikon-users-review-of-the-canon-5d-mark-iii/

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon 5D mark 3 with various L lenses
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 05:30:06 AM »
What do you guys recommend for removing digital noise?
Some of the late interior shots are quite noisy - despite not being shot at "very" high ISO settings.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
How of ISO's are we talking?  There are a variety of ways to reduce digital noise.  I use ACR or LR, but when I did weddings I used NoiseNinja.  I hope others have more suggestions because right now noise removal hasn't been a huge issue for me.  Stay tuned.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Richard Lane

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
What do you guys recommend for removing digital noise?
Noise Ninja and Topaz Labs DeNoise are both great!

They both do an excellent job, however after doing a free demo of each (hint-hint), I purchased Topaz Denoise because I preferred it's user interface better.

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:42:04 PM by Richard Lane »

Richard Lane

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Double Post.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
Thanks Richard.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
A couple of shots from the wedding shoot.

O73C9512_S by Scott_McPhee, on Flickr

O73C9462_S by Scott_McPhee, on Flickr

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:35 AM »
A couple of shots from the wedding shoot.

O73C9512_S by Scott_McPhee, on Flickr

O73C9462_S by Scott_McPhee, on Flickr

Looks great! Though I would have liked a bit more light on both their faces in the top pic, but thats just me.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
I only had a few mimutes to shoot these shots and no reflector or assistant on hand to help.
The light coming in the window to the left was beautiful.

....and I did have to put up with another photographer trying to get shots too.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
Anyone shooting a wedding for the first time should really have some experience behind them first, owning some gear doesn't really qualify you to do a good service to a couple. Most of the advise here is not going to help. Go out there and shoot some events. Learn what works. Even better, shoot with a professional and learn firsthand how to approach things. It's funny how many posts like this end up on various forum sites. What you need to shoot a wedding isn't gear, it's skill and knowing how your gear works in various situations, and even more - what are you capturing - what many call the best day of their life. If you don't know how to do it, should you?

I shot my first wedding with my wife for free, because the couple didn't have a budget for photography. We did a good job considering we were new to weddings, but we were also far out of our depth. You really need to be a second shooter to get some experience.

i agree and disagree with this for various reasons.  Where I agree - yes, shooting more makes a difference, learning ,putting yourswelf in hard lighting situations --- all that helps gain experience, with experience comes more comfort, then you can really start working on technique.  But as far as second shooting, this is hit or miss.  While yes, you always learn a thing or 2, it really depends on the primary shooter.  Some primary shooters are very comfortable with themselves and their business and have no issues with teaching.  But many see you as a threat and treat you as such.  One big issue is files.  Yes, how you shoot and what you shoot at a wedding is important, but, you need to have some time in PP on those shots to ever consider yourself a primary shooter.  Some primary shooters can be freaky with that, and I get that, they are hiring you to work for them, they aren't hiring you to train you to go out on your own.  Sometimes the primary shooter won't even let you come with on the formal shots (for me and my learning, setting up shots like that, guiding people, that's more than just shooting and does require learning!) - the good old, why don't you just get candid shots from coctail hour while I handle the formals. 

Not every primary shooter is like this --- and I aqm not saying don't second shooter, but, be careful choosing who you work with and if the intention is to learn - then try shooting with a few.  Seeing different techniques does help a lot.  And more times than not, if you second shoot you get to see some larger scale productions which is valuable learning!!!

As to the whole, don't ever take on a wedding with no experience thing.  We all gotta start somewhere.  If you are honest with the client and charge them accordingly to your skill level, this shouldn't be a problem I think.  (remember, some primary shooters don't take on totally green second shooters, or if they do, have fun earning $50 on the day)
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »
I was doing this for free for my cousin as money was tight - I am reasonably experienced or I would not have taken on the job at all.

I got some great shots and in most situations the 5D3 performed perfectly.
Metering/exposure was very impressive - on the mark 99% of the time.

I did have to put up with another (Nikon user) photographer trying to shoot the wedding as well and this was really starting to piss me off until I met a retired wedding pro who was there.
We got rid of the Nikon guy and he was excellent help setting up poses and shots - I learned a lot from him over the rest of the day.

It was hard work but I really enjoyed it - and after a wee bit of Lightroom magic we will have some great shots.
5D3 is a dream to use in this situation.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
I use denoise from topaz labs, also i set sharpening to 0, run denoise then i use unsharp mask. I find using sharpening before eliminating image noise is a loosing battle in IQ

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
I was doing this for free for my cousin as money was tight - I am reasonably experienced or I would not have taken on the job at all.

I got some great shots and in most situations the 5D3 performed perfectly.
Metering/exposure was very impressive - on the mark 99% of the time.

I did have to put up with another (Nikon user) photographer trying to shoot the wedding as well and this was really starting to piss me off until I met a retired wedding pro who was there.
We got rid of the Nikon guy and he was excellent help setting up poses and shots - I learned a lot from him over the rest of the day.

It was hard work but I really enjoyed it - and after a wee bit of Lightroom magic we will have some great shots.
5D3 is a dream to use in this situation.
Your shots look good, I prefer to use DPP to convert raws mainly becuase i like the quality over lightrooms conversion of canon raws, granted lightroom is far better from a work flow perspective. But then again your shots look perfectly fine as is.The curve tool in lightroom, photoshop could help brighten midtones

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »