April 16, 2014, 07:42:14 PM

Author Topic: Time from Announcement to Release  (Read 2635 times)

mattneto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Time from Announcement to Release
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
Can anyone tell me how canon handles avalability of their new releases? From what I've read it seems there is a significant wait time (or maybe it was only for that specific model).

My dilema is this. I'm taking a business trip to London in November and my wife will accompany me. She wants a new camers (shes been using my T2i a little too much) so we decided she would inherit my T2i and I would get some new gear.

If something similar to the 70d or 7Dmk2 is announced in September at Photokina, what are the chances I can get my hands on one before my trip in November? Is this realistic or should I just (reluctantly) grab a 7D?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:23:37 AM by mattneto »

canon rumors FORUM

Time from Announcement to Release
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »

nebugeater

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Time from Announcement to Release
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
Probably very small chance of having it in hand if announced.

On the other hand, what about just waiting?  If it is not announced and available a couple weeks before your departure can't you just get the 7D then and you will not be kicking yourself for missing what you MAYBE wanted instead.

mattneto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely going to wait it out and see. Was just curious if anyone knew the time table. Thanks!

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »
Yeah, with the T4i, the availability was pretty fast, but, with the EOS-M system, they've waited a few months. A new 70D would probably release faster, but, chances are it'll be very similar to the current 7D. And a new 7d mkII is pretty unlikely to be announced. And if they announce a new full-frame, I'd bet they would want it out in time for holiday sales, but, who knows.

They've generally been better with bodies than with lenses

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Rent a 5d mkiii for your trip.

chabotc

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
+1 to renting a 5Dmk3 for your trip - the release time sort of depends on the market positioning and, well, how lucky Canon gets with getting things finished and manufactured.

But the thing is, there really -isn't- a dependable release schedule that I would bet something like a trip on, for instance it was pretty much 9 months between the announcement of the Canon 1D-X and it being available, the 5D Mk3 and Xti4 were a good bit faster though, so a camera like the 70D or 7Dmk2 is likely to be available somewhere between 1 to 9 months of announcement ;)
Canon 5D Mark III and a big bag of primes

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
There is typically a longer delay for high end products than for consumer ones.  As to why ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »

mattneto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »
Thanks Guys!  It didn't even occur to me to rent one. That's a great idea.

DWLsp

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Careful with the renting idea though; 5D MkIII file format is not compatible with anything but the newest releases of Lightroom, Photoshop etc.  Updating won't work, you got to spend money.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
Careful with the renting idea though; 5D MkIII file format is not compatible with anything but the newest releases of Lightroom, Photoshop etc.  Updating won't work, you got to spend money.
It works fine with DPP, and the send to photoshop function in DPP, as well as adobe DNG.
Its no big deal using the 5D MK III with older software.

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »

Also be sure to arrange to receive the camera a little before you depart so as to allow some hands on time.  I don't have a 5D3 myself (wish I did!), but from what I have read here there would be a significant learning curve when stepping up from a T2i - especially for the AF controls.

Do the rentals typically come with the factory default setup or have they been configured to work well for a first time user?

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
While I'm usually all for renting, I'd suggest you do the math.

14 day rental of the 5DIII will run you about $400 (with damage waiver and you definitely don't want to rent without the waiver).

Ask yourself which is the better deal: Rent the 5D or pick up a refurbished 7D ($1,360) or 60 D ($800) and sell it later when a new model comes out. If you think you can sell the 7D or the 60D for more than the price less rental, you could be money ahead buying. Plus you'll both have cameras until the next model comes out.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
....or rent locally, so you haven't got the hassle of carting it around on flights, with the risk of damage and you can pay for a shorter rental period.  The flip side being that you don't get to play with it prior to travel.

Calumet stocked up for the Olympics so should still have plenty to rent out in November.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/services/rental.cfm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »

mattneto

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
While I'm usually all for renting, I'd suggest you do the math.

14 day rental of the 5DIII will run you about $400 (with damage waiver and you definitely don't want to rent without the waiver).

Ask yourself which is the better deal: Rent the 5D or pick up a refurbished 7D ($1,360) or 60 D ($800) and sell it later when a new model comes out. If you think you can sell the 7D or the 60D for more than the price less rental, you could be money ahead buying. Plus you'll both have cameras until the next model comes out.

You're math makes sense. Might not want to spend that much for a rental.  Maybe I will just get a 7D for the time being and just sell it for the next release. But then there is the 5d mark ii for a tad bit more. Haha.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »