November 26, 2014, 01:59:02 AM

Author Topic: Neck strap alternatives  (Read 36121 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Neck strap alternatives
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
Anyone out there have any actual experience with some of the newer alternatives to neck straps? I'd love to find something a bit more comfortable when hiking but many of the things I see advertised look more like gimmicks than practical alternatives. Anyone have any experience with these?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Neck strap alternatives
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Neck strap alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
The BlackRapid RS-7 and RS-4 seem to be popular choices.  Many good reviews online.  Not sure how well it will work for hiking, but since they are so popular the resale value on eBay or whatever would likely mean very little financial loss if it doesn't work for your needs.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
After using a home made version pieced together from surplus store bits for several years, I now use a Blackrapid RS-Sport.

Works great.  While I haven't worn it hiking, I have worn it mountain biking.  Works well. I would just suggest moving the camera higher up on your hip for activities involving a lot of motion, it will keep the camera from swinging too much.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
I highly recommend the Blackrapid RS-4.  I find that it works very well for hiking, which I do quite frequently with my 7D + 100-400mm.  The camera hangs at my side with the lens extending behind my back (I attach the strap to the tripod ring), and grabbing it for a shot is easy and fast.  The weight is on the shoulder, so it's a lot more comfortable to carry.  I can wear it over a backpack (e.g. Lowepro Flipside 400AW).  I also like that unlike a neck strap, it can be easily detached from the camera (I use E1 handstraps on both bodies, and when not around the neck I always found the neck strap got in the way). The little zip pocket on the RS-4 holds two CF cards in their cases.

Not sure what support system you use, but I use Manfrotto (tripod and monopod), and I connect the RS-4 with the FastenR T1 (replaces the D-ring on the Manfrotto QR plate), which makes it easy to disconnect the strap and attach the camera to a monopod or tripod.  If you use Arca-type plates, I think they have a second 1/4"-20 hole which you can use for the regular FastenR.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:36:06 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
I'd third the Black Rapid strap recommendation.  I bought mine a year ago based on recommendations from users and it far exceded my expectations.  I can carry my heavy camera and lens all day and hardly know its there.  With a neck strap, it starts bothering me in just a few minutes.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
While I know many may not qualify, my favorite neck strap I got for free with my Canon CPS membership.  It's a lot like the Black Rapid design.  It's slightly awkward to install but once it's on, it's very comfortable and is really high quality.  It takes the weight of the camera system and is professional looking as well.  Plus every year Canon sends me a new one with the renewal of my membership.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
Agreed. I have a BlackRapid RS-7. An excellent alternative.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
I also use the Black Rapid RS-4 and I know people who use it with the optional BRAD strap. The sport model comes with the underarm BRAD stabilizer strap. I have also attached a heavy duty Ty-Rap to my RRS L-Bracket and it is rock solid and very flexible. See picture below...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5506308711_ff6fa2a8e1.jpg

prestonpalmer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
I like the Canon CPS strap myself! :)

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
I highly recommend the Blackrapid RS-4.  I find that it works very well for hiking, which I do quite frequently with my 7D + 100-400mm.  The camera hangs at my side with the lens extending behind my back (I attach the strap to the tripod ring), and grabbing it for a shot is easy and fast.  The weight is on the shoulder, so it's a lot more comfortable to carry.  I can wear it over a backpack (e.g. Lowepro Flipside 400AW).  I also like that unlike a neck strap, it can be easily detached from the camera (I use E1 handstraps on both bodies, and when not around the neck I always found the neck strap got in the way). The little zip pocket on the RS-4 holds two CF cards in their cases.

Not sure what support system you use, but I use Manfrotto (tripod and monopod), and I connect the RS-4 with the FastenR T1 (replaces the D-ring on the Manfrotto QR plate), which makes it easy to disconnect the strap and attach the camera to a monopod or tripod.  If you use Arca-type plates, I think they have a second 1/4"-20 hole which you can use for the regular FastenR.

Ditto on the BlackRapid RS-4 and FastenR T1 with my Manfotto tripod.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

WarStreet

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info,  I never knew about these products !

Once I discovered ThinkTank, I never bothered to look for alternatives, but they don't have anything similar to these straps.

Anyone know how usable RS-4 or RS-Sport are when used with a belt system and a holster on the same side where the camera will hang? I end up holding the 70-200 2.8 IS II all the time, but if I connect this strap on the tripod ring, I could leave it hanging without much stress on the mount.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:05:26 PM by WarStreet »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
Anyone know how usable RS-4 or RS-Sport are when used with a belt system and a holster on the same side where the camera will hang? I end up holding the 70-200 2.8 IS II all the time, but if I connect this strap on the tripod ring, I could leave it hanging without much stress on the mount.

On the same side?  Seems like it would be awkward.  I often walk around with a Lowepro Toploader Pro (65AW or 75AW) on the other side (put that on, then the Blackrapid strap over it, the two shoulder straps cross over my chest).   The RS-4 has to be on top, if another strap is over it that will impede the camera from sliding up the strap when you raise it for a shot.

If you just want to carry another lens, there are lens cases with shoulder straps that could go on the other side (e.g. Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 200AW

For a 'small' lens, I often just sliplock a Lowepro Lens Case 1W onto my belt opposite the camera - that holds lenses like the 17-55/2.8, 24-105/4L or 16-35/2.8L.  With my 7D + 100-400mm or 5DII + 70-200/2.8L II on the Blackrapid strap, when I need the standard/wide zoom I just let the big white zoom hang on the strap by the tripod ring, and handhold the camera+short zoom.

Another option would be the Blackrapid double strap - intended for two cameras, but could also be used for one camera and a lens with a tripod ring.  The problem is that both lenses would actually need tripod rings (else, how would you hang the lens without a ring when not in use?).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

WarStreet

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
I will also have other attachments on the belt, for lenses, general stuff and something to drink (Here in Malta temperature can be very hot in summer). Since I am very thin, I don't have much space around my waist to put stuff  :) If I place the holster on the other side, I will end up with some other attachment on the opposite side.

I will try to change my setup, maybe putting some stuff on the back and leaving some space on the side. The Double strap is also an interesting option, since in the future I would like to use 2 bodies and avoid changing lenses, but currently I am in the present !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »
Alright.... I'm here in line to recommend the Black Rapids setup (in fact, I like it so much I bought the snapR for my Fujifilm X100. Unfortunately, it won't take it with the lens hood, but otherwise I have no complaints.)

For my 1D4, I have both the RS-5 and Thinktankphoto camera strap attached. The good thing about TTP's strap is that it's thin and flexible enough for me to loop it, so it won't be swinging around when the camera is dangling on the waist. Though not the best solution, it works.

However, I've had two minor problems with Black Rapids - the pad tends to shift (which can be a bit awkward when you try to reach for the cellphone stored in the strap's pocket) and the camera+lens will be exposed to the elements (prepare for scratches here and there when you maneuver through crowded places). Other than that, I have no problems with it.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
Wow.  You guys are frickin fearless.

I've taken about 2000 shots since I got my DSLR a few months back and I'm still walking around clutching it in a death grip like Gollum.

How banged up does your stuff get with these (the Black Rapids types you posted)?

Can anyone post non-stock pictures of them mounted/hanging with a medium sized lens/body? 

Last question, I currently have a modified handstrap (strap and padding from a canon E1, base of the Opteka pro strap) that is mounted into the tripod mount, with a tripod mount beneath the screw (basically a male/female screw) -- it's sturdy enough to mount the 60D + zoom on a tripod but I'm not so sure about hanging from one of these straps --- what do you think?

Thanks guys.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »