November 26, 2014, 06:50:13 AM

Author Topic: Neck strap alternatives  (Read 36130 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Neck strap alternatives
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »
'm thinking of trying to find some black medical tape to wrap the corners in, but I think it'll get gooey over time.  Did anyone do anything to cover the metal part's outsides up?

I've not had any issue like the Amazon reviewer described, and I often store my bodies with the RS-4 attached in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW or 75AW.

However, I did previously cover the FastenR-2 D-rings - not for protection, but rather because when walking with a heavy-ish lens (70-200/2.8 IS II, 100-400) hanging on the strap, the metal-on-metal contact of the ConnectR-2 with the FastenR-2 made a clicking sound, presumably because of the shape of the D-ring on the FastenR-2 (it has a slight angle at the top of the ring, rather than being a complete semicircle).  The click was annoying, and louder than my footsteps when walking on a trail - loud enough to startle birds/wildlife. 

Initially, I tried what you mention, wrapping the D-ring in some black electrical tape - and yes, it got a bit gooey.  So, I removed the tape and cleaned the metal, then coated the D-rings on my FastenR-2s by dipping them in Plasti Dip (available in the paint section of Home Depot). 

I specifically mention the FastenR-2, because once the FastenR-T1 (which mounts through a Manfrotto QR plate for easy switching between strap and tripod/monopod) came out, I replaced my four FastenR-2s with FastenR-T1s.  The -T1 has a smaller, fatter, completely semicircular D-ring, and importantly it does not make noise when the camera moves.  I suspect the FastenR-3 that is now shipping with BR straps and has a round hole would also be silent.

I wouldn't worry about that. I've used the Black Rapid on two different cameras now and so no signs of it's use at all.

I wish I could say the same.  After over a year of frequent use, mostly with the RS-4 supporting a gripped 7D + 100-400mm, the edge of the nylon strap where the ConnectR-2 sits is showing signs of wear (fraying).  So far, it's not frayed to the point where I'm worried about failure, but it will need replacement in the near future.  Still, the performance of the strap is sufficiently good that another one would be a worthwhile investment (actually, I will probably just get two, since I've recently been considering a second one so I don't have to switch them from body to body, or maybe the DR-1 double strap to carry both cameras at once - something I haven't done to date).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:34:03 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »
Wow.  You guys are frickin fearless.

I've taken about 2000 shots since I got my DSLR a few months back and I'm still walking around clutching it in a death grip like Gollum.

How banged up does your stuff get with these (the Black Rapids types you posted)?

Can anyone post non-stock pictures of them mounted/hanging with a medium sized lens/body? 

Last question, I currently have a modified handstrap (strap and padding from a canon E1, base of the Opteka pro strap) that is mounted into the tripod mount, with a tripod mount beneath the screw (basically a male/female screw) -- it's sturdy enough to mount the 60D + zoom on a tripod but I'm not so sure about hanging from one of these straps --- what do you think?

Thanks guys.

Why would a camera get banged up with a black rapid strap??  Its held pretty securely, and does not swing out like a camera on a neck strap does when you bend over.

I guess if you go thru a door way and forget its at your side, you could hit the door frame, but I've never done that.

The best way to see how it works is at the Black Rapid web site.  http://www.blackrapid.com/

You can do a search for Black Rapid Strap and see what others think, they sell a ton of them.  Not every one likes them, but the number who do is pretty high.

mreco99

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
wow plasti dip, im loving the look of that. I can already think of lots of applications.
Can you get it in the UK?

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
Not wanting to resurrect an older thread...  but I am planning on buying a Black Rapid product today.  I'm just having a hard time deciding between the RS-7 which has the curved strap or an RS-Sport 2.  I probably won't bulk it up with any of the storage compartment accessories, but I kind of liked the idea of a curved strap.  Suggestions?  Comments?  Thanks!

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
Not wanting to resurrect an older thread...  but I am planning on buying a Black Rapid product today.  I'm just having a hard time deciding between the RS-7 which has the curved strap or an RS-Sport 2.  I probably won't bulk it up with any of the storage compartment accessories, but I kind of liked the idea of a curved strap.  Suggestions?  Comments?  Thanks!

I've had the RS-Sport 2 for 2 months. Highly recommend it, especially as you said you don't need it to store any accessories. Whilst this strap is the light version, shoulder cushion isn't lacking - I'm 6 feet tall and it's very comfortable. Plus the extra under-arm strap is actually very useful for stopping the shoulder pad from slipping whenever you pick up the camera from the hip to shoot - if you've seen the RS website videos, there are tips for reducing this slippage with one of the other without-under-arm-strap models.

Ultimately, I went with the RS-Sport 2 because it is lighter/slimmer (less conspicuous?). I have not tried the other models. I am very happy with mine.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:03:59 PM by Redreflex »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
I have an r-strap super comfortable to wear and puts the camera exactly where you need it...  expensive for what they are, but worth it...

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »
I have an r-strap super comfortable to wear and puts the camera exactly where you need it...  expensive for what they are, but worth it...
I have an R-strap as well. They are great! No more sore neck :D
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
Update --- I've been on the blackradpid since everyone suggested it; head over heels improved.  If you give a little care to not letting the camera get banged, it actually seems safer than just around your neck.  You can 'drop' it to your side if something/someone comes really close to your chest quickly . . . which is awesome.

Also, on the 60D, you can easily control the motion of the camera by your side by cupping your fingers under the outcrop where the flash is built in . . bonus :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

One last question: any suggestions for quick-change from the strap to using a monopod?  So far, I've just been resting the butt of the connector atop the monopod if I need to take the shot quick but that obviously isn't as stable. 

I never noticed how much my hands shake until I got this camera.   ::)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 09:10:37 AM »
I bought the R-sport yesterday...  it should be here today, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've heard that they make a simple adaptor to hook up to a Manfrotto tripod, so I'm wondering if a similar adaptor would work for you dstppy, on a Manfrotto monopod?

kiig

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
I stumpled upon this thread this morning by chance, - and I went out and got the Rs-Sport 2, - and I like it, alot! thanx guys. Never knew I missed one before today  :P

I have a C-loop allready (for those of you familiar with that) and it easy'er to tighten that down firmly due to the construction with the open hinge/flap, - so I noticed right out of the box that thigtning this thing on, - by hand, - is not enough. Maybe it's because the rubber is new, but it's quite impossible to tighten it enough by hand, so it's not possible to unscrew it again quite easy actually - by hand, - so for those I saw was concerned with the fastening on the camera, - use either a tool or turn it with the clamp/strap in place sÃ¥ you can give it that extra jerk. My experience with the C-loop is that if its firmly fitted, it will never 'fall out', and I was indeed worried and double checked in the beginning :-) 10K shots ago....  so tightened firmly, I see no problems with this construction.

Kim.

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
One last question: any suggestions for quick-change from the strap to using a monopod?  So far, I've just been resting the butt of the connector atop the monopod if I need to take the shot quick but that obviously isn't as stable. 
last week i bought the FastenR-T1 so i could more easily use the r-strap with my tripod. i don't use a manfrotto quick release plate and it fits just fine. there's only one thing you should watch out for, on the screw of the FastenR, there's a kind of a little bump on the bottom (see attachment) wich is pretty annoying. i had to buy a new QR plate so it would fit. but i'm really happy with it now :D
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
last week i bought the FastenR-T1

I use Manfrotto RC2 plates, and I have FastenR-T1s on four of my six QR plates.  They work great, and it's quite easy to remove the strap and connect the plate to my tripod/monopod heads.

Deeohuu

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
I'm confused about the necessity of the FastenR-T1. The ring that is standard on the Manfrotto quick release plate will accommodate the clip on the Blackrapid straps. Is the FastenR-T1 more secure in some way?

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
I'm confused about the necessity of the FastenR-T1. The ring that is standard on the Manfrotto quick release plate will accommodate the clip on the Blackrapid straps.

It's not necessary at all...provided you're comfortable with the very real possibliity that your gear will all go crashing to the ground.

See my post on TDP discussing this, including some images of a the disassembled Manfrotto RC2 D-ring which you are (or, hopefully not!) trusting to support your gear.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
Okay, I started this thread almost four months ago. You all quickly convinced me that the Black Rapid is the way to go, I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

One reason, though, is I still have one concern: there is just something about attaching the camera to the tripod socket and relying exclusively on that to keep my camera from crashing to the ground that has me a little nervous. I'm worried that the screw could work itself loose when I'm not aware and there is no safety strap or anything as a back-up. Making me even more paranoid is the fact that I use a battery grip, so in my mind there are two possible points of failure: the lug that attaches to the strap and the connection between the battery grip and the camera.

Is this an unrealistic fear? I've thought about fastening some sort of a "safety loop" attaching the regular camera strap lugs to the Black Rapid strap. Anybody consider doing that, or do you all have complete confidence that the Black Rapid lug won't work itself look while the camera is dangling from it?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »