April 21, 2014, 02:12:07 AM

Author Topic: Neck strap alternatives  (Read 32830 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Neck strap alternatives
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
I have tried mine on the body and on the ring with a gripped 5DII 70-200 f/2.8 combo and I much prefer the ring due to the balance issue.

Yeah, but the f/2.8 version is nearly twice the weight of the f/4 version, and an inch or so longer as well.  That makes a pretty substantial difference, which is probably why Canon includes the ring with the f/2.8 lenses and not with the f/4 lenses (the f/2.8 mounted on a ballhead by the camera body will cause a problem for many ballheads, the but the f/4 mounted like that will not).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »

gferdinandsen

• Rebel T5i
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »
I have tried mine on the body and on the ring with a gripped 5DII 70-200 f/2.8 combo and I much prefer the ring due to the balance issue.

Yeah, but the f/2.8 version is nearly twice the weight of the f/4 version, and an inch or so longer as well.  That makes a pretty substantial difference, which is probably why Canon includes the ring with the f/2.8 lenses and not with the f/4 lenses (the f/2.8 mounted on a ballhead by the camera body will cause a problem for many ballheads, the but the f/4 mounted like that will not).

I use the Bogen 410, and cannot mount my 70-200f2.8 with the battery grip on my 5D2 and tripod ring unless I remove the quick release plate from the body or add a teleconverter to the the lens.  It's somewhat annoying, and I don't recall it being a problem with the original 5D.
1v HS, 5D3, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »

I use the Bogen 410, and cannot mount my 70-200f2.8 with the battery grip on my 5D2 and tripod ring unless I remove the quick release plate from the body or add a teleconverter to the the lens.  It's somewhat annoying, and I don't recall it being a problem with the original 5D.

Hmmm...that's annoying!  Which QR plate?  I use the RC2, and have no problem with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II on my gripped 5DII or 7D, with either the 488 or 468MG head.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gferdinandsen

• Rebel T5i
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »

Hmmm...that's annoying!  Which QR plate?  I use the RC2, and have no problem with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II on my gripped 5DII or 7D, with either the 488 or 468MG head.

410PL on a 5D2 (w/ BG) attached to a 3275/410 head.

I have 3 solutions
1) Remove the QR plate from the BG
2) Remove the BG
3) And I hesitate to do this, attach the BG directly to the head, though I'm, sure the body can handle the weight of the lens.
1v HS, 5D3, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

EELinneman

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
I'm using a Black Rapid RS7 with the BRAD attachment for a gripped 5D II with a 70-200 II and find it to be a lot more comfortable than a neck strap.  I also recently purchased the belt system from Think Tank for lugging lenses, flash, water bottle, etc.  So, far it's helped my back with carrying all the weight.

My father, who is shooting a G12, is using the Sun Sniper since I just got him one as a gift.  I'll let you know, but the concept is very similar to the black rapid.

mreco99

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
As im having to get a new camera strap, i thought id add this info here...

I had a sun sniper "the one" rated to 2.5kg. As my combo now weighs nearly 2.3kg thought it was time to get a higher rated strap.
The sun sniper pro is rated to 5kg, not bad, but i thought id check the black rapid rs7. Interestingly theres no info anywhere (that i can see) about loading. Which is strange as its pretty fundamental as to what the thing is for.

So emailed customer services at Black Rapid, and got a reply.
"On all of our straps, our hard ware is rated at 300 lbs"

Now i know thier first language isnt English, but unless my basic maths is failing me, thats about 136kg or a very large human.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
As im having to get a new camera strap, i thought id add this info here...

I had a sun sniper "the one" rated to 2.5kg. As my combo now weighs nearly 2.3kg thought it was time to get a higher rated strap.
The sun sniper pro is rated to 5kg, not bad, but i thought id check the black rapid rs7. Interestingly theres no info anywhere (that i can see) about loading. Which is strange as its pretty fundamental as to what the thing is for.

So emailed customer services at Black Rapid, and got a reply.
"On all of our straps, our hard ware is rated at 300 lbs"

Now i know thier first language isnt English, but unless my basic maths is failing me, thats about 136kg or a very large human.

They said "hardware" so they might only be referring to the metal caribiner and fasteners.  I'm more surprised by the 2.5-5kg rating of the Sunsniper.  That's not much, I think a couple strands of dental floss could hold that.  A large human could easily hang from even a cheap caribiner, a solid metal d-ring, or a nylon strap.... ok I wouldn't go mountain climbing with the little one on the Blackrapid straps and it probably wouldn't withstand the impact force a falling mass but I bet a static mass of over a 100kg could hang from it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:29:19 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

mreco99

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
ordered the black rapid rs7 anyway, mainly because the sun sniper is bulky

emailed again asking about guarantee if one should break, the responce...
"We have never had one break from weight. And we would work with the individual if this were to occur."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:59:47 PM by mreco99 »

Harley

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
I've tried a couple different neck strap options on my 7D, but recently switched to a hand strap.  I've really enjoyed not having a neck strap to deal with anymore.  I have a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home shoulder bag and a Tamrac 517 holster bag with a strap, so at least for mthere's really no need for a neck strap, too.

Search eBay for "Herringbone camera hand strap" and you'll find one from a seller in Korea called Light-n-Space.  The Type 1 strap is $39 and comes with an aluminum universal tripod mounting plate.  The Type 2 is $33 and doesn't come with the plate. 

Mine is black padded leather with red stitching, so it looks pretty slick with an L lens on the camera.  Lots of other colors available.

I was a little nervous about ordering from overseas, but the customer service was excellent, you can purchase via PayPal, it was delivered fast, and the packaging and product really exceeded my expectations.

The universal plate is Manfrotto compatible, plus the head of the plate's screw has threads so that you can screw something else into it.  I have a Gorillapod and the mounting plate for it will attach to the bottom of the universal plate.  I never need to remove the plate.
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
ordered the black rapid rs7 anyway, mainly because the sun sniper is bulky

I've tried the sun sniper but prefer my black rapid RS sport - I find it's very handy to have the 2 clips on the strap to limit the travel of the camera along it to suit your needs, whether it's to limit posterior travel of the camera, or to lock the camera at a specific position.

mreco99

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
Nothing wrong with a good hand strap, but the two are different, personally i like both hands free and i dont want to put my camera on the wet grass.

fotto

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
I use a peak design capture for my 7D body + 28-70L on my hip when my 1DmIII+50mill hangs around my neck for concerts. I also used it for some extended backpacking trips on the backpack strap, and guess what; I love it! Now I am thinking to change my 1D mIII body for a 5DmII or 5DmIII when it comes out soon, just to have a more compact 1st body that is even more compatible with this system...

http://www.peakdesignltd.com/

pro's:
- fixed to your body so it is not swinging when moving.
- compatible with handstrap
- compatible with area-swiss style QR plates (really important to me!!!)
- fast
- secure with the button

contra's:
- not really good for body's with battery grip or 1D style body's
- when on the hip I had to get used to put the camera back without thinking...

mreco99

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
I use a peak design capture for my 7D body + 28-70L on my hip when my 1DmIII+50mill hangs around my neck for concerts. I also used it for some extended backpacking trips on the backpack strap, and guess what; I love it! Now I am thinking to change my 1D mIII body for a 5DmII or 5DmIII when it comes out soon, just to have a more compact 1st body that is even more compatible with this system...

pro's:
- fixed to your body so it is not swinging when moving.
- compatible with handstrap
- compatible with area-swiss style QR plates (really important to me!!!)
- fast
- secure with the button

contra's:
- not really good for body's with battery grip or 1D style body's
- when on the hip I had to get used to put the camera back without thinking...

NICE but no UK dealers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »

Harley

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »

+1  Nice solution -- I may have to try that out!  BTW, I believe the Herringbone hand strap universal plate is also Arca-Swiss compatible.
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
I've never used them myself, but the crumpler neck straps look devishly comfortable, and they always use the best quality materials (even though they're still overpriced)

https://store.canon.com.au/en/Our-Products/Merchandise/All-Merchandise/CDE-Strap

Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »