April 17, 2014, 12:22:48 PM

Author Topic: Colour consistency  (Read 822 times)

YellowJersey

Colour consistency
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
I'm curious to hear what people do in regards to getting consistent colour across prints and various monitors. I'm by no means pro, but I've got an online gallery and I want my photos to be as consistent as possible between monitors. I just got my brand spanking new laptop (Lenovo T530) a few weeks ago and am completely gobstruck by the colours on this thing (calibrated using an eye one) They're extremely vibrant and it's an utter joy to look at photos on it. But while things look awesome on my new laptop, they look really dull and boring on the other monitors (not calibrated) in the house.

How does one achieve consistency? Is that even possible? Would it make sense to edit photos for posting online using one of the other monitors and then use the new laptop's screen for prints?

canon rumors FORUM

Colour consistency
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
Re: Colour consistency
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »
The best option, of course, is to use a calibrator.
If you don't have that, but your monitor has a blue-only mode, this is nearly as good for most:
http://www.videouniversity.com/articles/color-bars-and-how-to-use-em/

EELinneman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
For me, I'm using a passport color checker in the field - then create a profile in Lightroom and apply to the pictures.  On my monitor, I've got an Xrite that works well.  I guess the next step is to get my printer profiled, but paying tuition on 2 college students and the printer has a clogged black print head are putting that off.

Take a look at the online seminars that X-rite offers.  It's easier than it seems if you get a workflow and stay consistent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »