August 22, 2014, 07:42:31 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark II or a Real Video Camera?  (Read 10070 times)

l1nkje

Canon 5D Mark II or a Real Video Camera?
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
Hello guys,

Well the Subject kind of talk for itself but let me be clearer about it ;

I'm a french camera man/editor (so i already apologize for my poor english :P) and i've been willing to get a video camera for a couple of years now. I'm also a passionate of photography so here is my dilemma :

I wanna do both (videos / pictures) which means i wanna include my work within my passion into the same device, so my first choice went for a DSLR (such as the 5D mk2).

But, for my job, i do a lot of interviews which can be very tricky for a DSLR; I'd rather have some XLR microphone(s) that i can plug than some jack ones; I know there are some adapters (such as dxa-5d) but that's pretty huge & heavy i think. Maybe there are some other choices to have proper audio during interviews, and i'd be thrilled to hear them, but is a 5d mk2 a good choice for certain purposes in videos?

I've rent and used the 7D and 5dmk2 for 2 years and i always used the sennheiser mke400 but i need some real mics for now on.

I don't know if i explained myself very clearly to you guys, but i'm around if you need more details.

Thanks!

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark II or a Real Video Camera?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
Many Videographers who use a DSLR for video use something like the Zoom H4n. It's a separate audio recorder, and you just sync the audio in post. It has 4 track recording, 2 XLR inputs and isn't that expensive.
I've got one and they're great

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
If you're shooting run and gun documentary/interview stuff I'd go with a large-sensor camcorder.  DSLR's aren't ideal for interviews, especially the 5DII with it's 12 minute recording time limit.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
If you're shooting run and gun documentary/interview stuff I'd go with a large-sensor camcorder.  DSLR's aren't ideal for interviews, especially the 5DII with it's 12 minute recording time limit.

True that. Adio synching can easily be done in post, but you can't change the recording time limit.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
Go for a T4i: Flip out screen very very useful for single operator.  Recording cap not so much of an issue.
Look at Beachtek DXA-5Da or DXA-SLR for a way of getting proper microphones into any canon DSLR.
Gives you single files & single unit to hold no synching or forgetting to hit record!

The APS-C cameras have more forgiving depth of field for video (you can still acheive the shallow DoF look) exhibited slightly less jello shutter too.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

Based on the OP's comments, I would recommend the 5D3, with a Zoom H4n for audio recording.  The combination meets all the requirements he laid out.

A large sensor camcorder is better for video, in the sense that the controls and features are more optimized for video, but it doesn't do stills.  The OP indicates that he wishes to do both.  The 5D3 has a longer time limit for recordings, and the Zoom is so cheap ($250) it isn't much of a consideration in the overall purchase.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:39:26 AM »
Based on the OP's comments, I would recommend the 5D3

That he had twice the budget he was actually talking about?  I reckon if he wanted to spend the money on a 5D3 he would be asking that question.

This is the one thing I HATE about this forum.   A lot of posters wanting folks to double their spend.  And this just isn't possible in the current climate for a lot of people.

l1nkje

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Well of course i was thinking about a 5D3 but that is way too expensive and i don't think the difference between a 5D2 & 5D3 is really THAT big.

I'd rather have a good customized 5D2 than a 5D3 with clearly less stuff to work with!

I've been looking on some websites about DXA-5Da, and it actually fits what i need i guess. It doesn't seem as heavy as i thought, so it could be nice to pair it with some awesome microphones ; i was thinking about Sennheisers (ew100 or if you have any ideas i'm all ears)

So basically if i'm on about 5d2 + DXA-5Da + mics (but not a priority as i got a MKE-400 to start with), i would either need a tripod or a glidecam (i was thinking glidecam hd-2000) to get some really smooth footage and enjoy it in Paris_by_night !

What do you think?

M.ST

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
I recommend to use a good video camera and a DSLR that fits you budget.

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
Go for a T4i: Flip out screen very very useful for single operator.  Recording cap not so much of an issue.
Look at Beachtek DXA-5Da or DXA-SLR for a way of getting proper microphones into any canon DSLR.
Gives you single files & single unit to hold no synching or forgetting to hit record!

The APS-C cameras have more forgiving depth of field for video (you can still acheive the shallow DoF look) exhibited slightly less jello shutter too.

+1...totally agree.

I have a 5D2, T2i(550D) and XF100 camcorder.

For any work that requires flexibility the APS-C sensor is that bit more manageable. I definitely use the 550D for video more and with the updates now present in the T4i I imagine it is much more user friendly. It is possible that the 5D2 would be too limited if there is much impromptu/fast moving footage required.

I really like the XF100 - the sensor is average - but it has a great codec for edits (especially premiere pro)...but it is not good for stills.

A good tripod is a necessity - I use a Sachtler FSB4 and am really happy with it.

Overall, it comes down to what you really will do the most. 5D2 is great if you want good value with excellent still image quality, but if more than 50% of your use would be video I would look elsewhere.

good luck with it.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:38:08 AM »
If you're doing any professional video I'd suggest getting a real video camera. I get frustrated with my attempts at non professional video on a DSLR. Poor focus control, poor live controls, poor viewing screen, poor audio control and input. If you're a poor indie filmmaker, or a Photog who wants occasional video it is nice, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

l1nkje

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »
If you're doing any professional video I'd suggest getting a real video camera. I get frustrated with my attempts at non professional video on a DSLR. Poor focus control, poor live controls, poor viewing screen, poor audio control and input. If you're a poor indie filmmaker, or a Photog who wants occasional video it is nice, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Well you seem to forget that i also wanna shoot pictures.
Also, I don't really agree with you on certain points; tried 7D (latest firmware) + 5d2 (magic lantern 2.3 firmware) and i didn't notice any of those things you mention.

I also tried real video cameras such as Z7, it of course feels nice, but i always prefer the colors & the DOF on a DSLR.

l1nkje

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
God, real video cameras are SO MUCH expensive compared to a DSLR :<

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
THey aren't the same hammers: they crack different nuts.

Sometimes I wouldn't be without my ENG, sometimes I wouldn't be without my HDV, sometimes I wouldn't be without my DSLR.

If you don't need long record runs (suchas for documentary) then DSLRs can give you a visually richer end result - with the right settings, right audio and right light, DSLR footage can look incredibly expensive.

Unless you get a 2/3rds type camera conventional video always looks like video.