Rumors > Lenses

Any suggestion before buying Zeiss lens or Canon L* lenses

(1/4) > >>

ssrdd:
hi everyone,

First of all i would like to say my ''thank you'' to administrator, for running such a useful website.

here, i am buying few lenses in near future combination of zeiss and canon L series.
major usage is video. so pls any one share ur experience about these lenses :-

Canon  EF14mm[L2.8 II USM]                                         
Canon EF24mm[L1.4 II USM]                                           
Zeiss   35mm[ZE2Distagon  ]                                             
canon   85mm[L1.2 II USM]                                             
Zeiss  100mm[ZE2MAKRO PLANAR FOR CANON]                
Canon EF135mm[L2 USM]                                                   
Canon EF200mm[L2 IS USM]                                           

pros and cons?
any practical experience and or opinion can be appreciated. thank u.

CR Backup Admin:
Look at the Zeiss Compact Prime video lenses, they are setup for video, and work properly with a focus puller.  Canon EF lenses with full time manual focus have a slip clutch to accomplish this.  This means that you must be extremely carefull with a focus puller, if that clutch slips, all the focus marks you have setup are worthless and may result in a serious misfocus. 

The Zeiss lenses are pricey, about $4K each, but a whole different level from EF "L" lenses as far as use for video.  It depends on what you can afford to spend.  The CP lenses are aimed a studio video, so they do not come in telephoto lengths over 100mm.

http://www.zeiss.com/compactprime

You can also rent them from many places, including Lens Rentals, and get just what you need for a job.  http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/specialty/zeiss-cp.2-25mm-t2.9-ze

They are pricey, but so is that list of lenses you have posted.

LFG530:
Pros: these are all great lenses and you're rich
Cons: I'm jealous.  And if you don't think using the 135 L for action shots you might reconsider having a 100 and 135 since you won't want to detach the zeiss from the body once you'll see the colors and contrast it produces... Since money doesn't seem like you biggest problem you could consider the zeiss 35 1.4 (or not if you prefer the compact size of the 2).

Personal opinions: I've tried the 35 zeiss and it was good altought not mind blowing, I've tried the 85 1.2 and it's worth every penny, I've tried the 100 zeiss and I feelt like I was going to cry when I had to remove it (simply magic, no canon lens can do this), I've seen a lot of results from the 135L and it's obviously a great lens too.

If you can get your hand on a 200 1.8 used instead of the 2 it could be an idea, from what I've heard and seen there's a little something special (a bit like with zeiss lenses) with the 1.8 that just isn't there for the 2.

Ooops, I missed the part where the major usage is video, in this case you might wan't to consider going nearly all zeiss since the manual focus is just wonderful... And a zoom can come in handy while doing video, the 70-200 IS II is great for this since the is is really effective.

ssrdd:

Mr. Scalesusa
Mr. LFG530

i agree with you on CP2 lenses over canon lenses. the main problem is they r too expensive,
plus in india they r even expensive( double as per dealer) to buy them, in the end i wanted take that heck for the quality sake, the main problem is they cant delivery them not before the least 6 months !!!

renting is not an option in india, that to in south india.
besides, i have a project to start immediately.

what about ur opinion on zeiss SLR lenses instead of canon L series( i had the focussing thing in my mind), apart from it?

i appreciate it man.
bests
ssrdd

CR Backup Admin:

--- Quote from: ssrdd on April 26, 2011, 08:24:26 PM ---
Mr. Scalesusa
Mr. LFG530

i agree with you on CP2 lenses over canon lenses. the main problem is they r too expensive,
plus in india they r even expensive( double as per dealer) to buy them, in the end i wanted take that heck for the quality sake, the main problem is they cant delivery them not before the least 6 months !!!

renting is not an option in india, that to in south india.
besides, i have a project to start immediately.

what about ur opinion on zeiss SLR lenses instead of canon L series( i had the focussing thing in my mind), apart from it?

i appreciate it man.
bests
ssrdd

--- End quote ---

Right now, HDDSLR's are manual focus, but that is going to change.  While Zeiss Compact Cinema lenses are, and will be professional grade choice.

For someone with a more limited budget, the Zeiss Manual focus lenses are great, and many professionals do very well with Canon EF lenses, as long as they learn to work around the focus clutch issue.

The final version of House was filmed with a 5D MK II, and primarily a Canon EF 24-70 lens last spring.  They can afford the best of the best, but chose the Canon lens, so it will do just fine.

Do not forget that Audio is 50% of the final product.  The finest and most beautiful images will be spoiled by poor or noisy audio.  You should have a audio person who knows his thing doing the audio with a external recorder.  The on-camera audio is not up to professional quality.

Then, there is the matter of tripod.  Pro grade ones are incredibally expensive, $30K, so you will have to compromise there, but get or rent a good model.  You cannot get professionally smooth pans with a low end tripod, so get the best you can afford.

Lighting is the same, you can spend big bucks, or do it fro a few hundred, but do pay attention to lighting, one of those little on-camera video lights might be fine for home videos, but you will want better if your wanting a professional result.

As you are beginning to see, the Camera part of the system is so cheap as to be almost free, iits the video accessories that pile on the dollars.

So, don't put all your money into lenses, make do with a couple, and save some for the sound, tripod, lighting, and other accessories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version