July 24, 2014, 11:29:22 AM

Author Topic: Lens align pro or Spyder lenscal  (Read 11324 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Lens align pro or Spyder lenscal
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »
Print off test result pdf files to save rerunning if you update Canon firmware or reset camera.

Firmware updates don't clear out the AFMA data (at least, they never have for me - maybe a firmware update gone bad where you power off the camera in the middle?).  Even if you Reset All Settings, that doesn't clear out the AFMA values (it just sets the function to No Adjustment, the values are retained).  Only deleting all settings from within the AFMA menu itself can clear them out. 

Still, I keep an Excel table with all my AFMA values, just in case.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 06:42:23 AM »
Print off test result pdf files to save rerunning if you update Canon firmware or reset camera.

Firmware updates don't clear out the AFMA data (at least, they never have for me - maybe a firmware update gone bad where you power off the camera in the middle?).  Even if you Reset All Settings, that doesn't clear out the AFMA values (it just sets the function to No Adjustment, the values are retained).  Only deleting all settings from within the AFMA menu itself can clear them out. 

Still, I keep an Excel table with all my AFMA values, just in case.   ;)

/quote]

Same here! Just have to do one more test for my 70-200 + 1.4 extender! Then it'll be complete.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
Reikan FocCal too... much better than anything else I've tried.

Which version did you choose and why?

Thanks,

-PW

Pro if you can. It's not that much money compared to other solutions, and this have real analisys tools and does pretty much all for you.
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:13:24 AM »
Yep, FoCal Pro here too.  Works great for my 1D4 and 1DX.  Best tool I have ever bought.  It is aware of the camera body so it knows that a zoom has two adjustments for the 1DX or 5D3 (near and far).
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Stay away from the Lens Align MkII version, it's an expensive piece of junk.  >:(  Leaving the tool setup for a short period of time on a tripod, you will find that the rule sages to a point where your measurements will be off.  I'm sure this is why the pro version and metal ruler became available. 

There is a learning curve, documentation is scattered on the web, good luck. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
Stay away from the Lens Align MkII version, it's an expensive piece of junk.  >:(  Leaving the tool setup for a short period of time on a tripod, you will find that the rule sages to a point where your measurements will be off.  I'm sure this is why the pro version and metal ruler became available. 

?

Actually, the MkII vesion replaced both the LensAlign Pro and the LensAlign Lite (both of which have been discontinued), although the MkII does seem to be more of an updated Lite version.  Personally, I have the LensAlign Pro.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

?

Actually, the MkII vesion replaced both the LensAlign Pro and the LensAlign Lite (both of which have been discontinued), although the MkII does seem to be more of an updated Lite version.  Personally, I have the LensAlign Pro.

Not sure which version replaced what and when they were released.  This is the version I bought and I would avoid it:
http://www.amazon.com/LensAlign-MkII-Focus-Calibration-System/dp/B004G3PANY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346769490&sr=8-1&keywords=lens+align+mk2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
I have a lens aligh, but it now stays packed away in its box.  I was a early adopter of Reikan FoCal Pro, its automated for my 5D MK II (semi automated for 5D MK III and 1D X).
Its by far the easiest and most accurate, since it does not require you to make a guess at the sharpest image.
It does require that you print out a target and mount it to a flat surface.  Once you have it setup, the only thing is to be careful not to vibrate the camera while its shooting, and have enough light so the AF system can be at its most accurate and have the least variation.

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

?

Not sure which version replaced what and when they were released.  This is the version I bought and I would avoid it:
http://www.amazon.com/LensAlign-MkII-Focus-Calibration-System/dp/B004G3PANY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346769490&sr=8-1&keywords=lens+align+mk2

mine's been on the tripod for the past 5 months and i've not experienced what you've mentioned. Which ruler do you have? I have the regular one.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

?

mine's been on the tripod for the past 5 months and i've not experienced what you've mentioned. Which ruler do you have? I have the regular one.

The one in the link above is what I have.  It's just a flimsy plastic ruler, same material as the tool--probably polystyrene.   I did find a post on Michael's website suggesting to remove the ruler for storage.

I had it setup for about a week as I was going thru all my lens.  Never looked at the tool up close until I was finished with my last lens.  That's when I discovered the top end of the ruler sagging backwards. 

Briand

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Thanks for the input about FoCal. Rather than buy windows 7 and parallels, I will wait for mac version, which company states it almost ready for release.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/08/focal-mac-update/#

bkorcel

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
I tried out the latest version (1.6) of Focal this past weekend and it definitely is an improvement over 1.5.  Takes far fewer shots than before and actually gave me an AFMA that I can agree with based on the graph and test images.  They really kicked it up a few notches.

To everyone else, don't bother with all of the other testers unless you want to have a second opinion as a sanity check.  Reikan Focal 1.6 Pro is what you want (make sure your camera is supported though).

I have a lens aligh, but it now stays packed away in its box.  I was a early adopter of Reikan FoCal Pro, its automated for my 5D MK II (semi automated for 5D MK III and 1D X).
Its by far the easiest and most accurate, since it does not require you to make a guess at the sharpest image.
It does require that you print out a target and mount it to a flat surface.  Once you have it setup, the only thing is to be careful not to vibrate the camera while its shooting, and have enough light so the AF system can be at its most accurate and have the least variation.

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Where, in the USA, can one purchase the FoCal software?
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
Where, in the USA, can one purchase the FoCal software?

It's download only, no box version.  PayPal converts US$ to British £, since they're based in England.

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »
I stumbled upon this thread and was previously looking at tools to adjust my lenses too.

Ive got 2 bodies, a 7d and a 5d3 and a bunch of lenses etc.

For the Focal software, is the Pro version worth the premium over the Plus version?

I don't do photography for a living, it's just a hobby (albeit an expensive one) so was wondering which version i should get.

Also, does the software offer a full step by step guide on how to microadjust my lenses? How easy would it be on a 1 to 10 scale to do it via FoCal compared to the lens align and other similar product?

thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »