April 16, 2014, 03:48:27 AM

Author Topic: help-bizarre happening with 1DX and canon 50mm/f1.2L  (Read 4738 times)

transit105

Re: help-bizarre happening with 1DX and canon 50mm/f1.2L
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Anybody else notice the complete lack of EXIF data on the images?  Are they really from a 1D X.  I haven't seen anything come out of my 1D X looking like that and I too own a 50/1.2L...
I did notice the largest images posted are significantly smaller than the 1D X's s-raw-size of 2592x1728. I'm assuming resampling here, which probably caused the moire. Without knowing which software was used to what extent, can't say I'm suspecting the camera or the lens of the eerily discrete 'ghosting' area either.

And about the flare: that would be flare. If all flare would be controlled, we wouldn't have enough UFO sightings :)

Thanks for the reply- the ghosting and moire were there on the full size raw image.  I'll attempt to post the full size image for reference sake when I get home later. 

I really appreciate all the responses. This is a wonderful forum with great and helpful users.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »
It certainly has a lot or moire and he looks like he has neon tiger print boxers under his thin khaki's lol.
Doesn't look like lens behavior at all. Id suspect the camera personally.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

sweetcancer

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »
Anyone else notice strange color transitions on the side of the gentleman's right arm?

@!ex

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »
Anybody else notice the complete lack of EXIF data on the images?  Are they really from a 1D X.  I haven't seen anything come out of my 1D X looking like that and I too own a 50/1.2L...

Yes they are indeed from a 1dx.  For some reason the metadata is not transferring to flickr.  Just so there's no questions about the authenticity I'm posting a couple of screenshots from lightroom 4.1 with the metadata. 

I must admit I'm pretty shocked by this happening.  The 50 f/1.2 is not producing this effect on my other bodies.  It is a new lens, perhaps it is the combo of lens and body.  I did know going into the purchase that the lens did have a reputation for strange and often annoying "behavior" but these happenings are a little bit more than I expected. 

I suspect that the problem could be with a faulty anti-aliasing filter.  I'm going to attempt to return the body to the local dealer I bought it from 15 days ago.  Hopefully they'll take it.

I'm a little miffed with Canon's track record as of late.  Seems the last few bodies I've bought have had problems out of the box.  It's a real shame.

That is from light hitting the side of the lens.  PUT THE LENS HOOD ON!  here is a very similar example from my 50L from today.  I've seen it happen a bunch under the right conditions.  It is a sort of ghosting flare that happens when light hits the side of the lens and has nothing to do with the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »