September 15, 2014, 11:20:38 PM

Author Topic: Flat lens discovered in Harvard  (Read 4075 times)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Flat lens discovered in Harvard
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
Have you read this: http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news-events/press-releases/flat-lens-offers-perfect-image ? It's not Canon yet, but if patent won't be closed to any manufacturer, what we'll see in some time? Just guess and turn your imagination on :)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

Flat lens discovered in Harvard
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Flat lens discovered in Harvard
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
It will take some time until we see a lens with this technology. As I understand it (from another article, about the same lens) the system so far works only for a certain wavelength, and the light transmission is only about 1%. But who knows, maybe they turn it into something useable.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
It's an interesting concept as far and it will take a long time when (if) this will go to photography. But if it will be followed by another discoveries in this area, then next generations will guess how it was even possible to make photos with glass lenses :)

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »
After reading the article, the new lens sounds very much like a variation on a diffractive optic, only intended for use at IR and beyond (they make no claims for visible light).

We know Canon already uses DO, without much success (judging from the reviews).

I wonder how long a 60nm thick lens would last in an open environment?  A fast moving raindrop might not end well.

Sounds like some cool basic physics, but it will be a long time before we see it used for anything in photography.  On the other hand, I would expect to see these things show up at the end of fiber optic data cables in short order.  Replacing the tiny glass lens with something made of silicon would be excellent.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
Here comes the science! Where's Neuro? (I half expected to see him in the picture of the physicists, presumably explaining it to them)

;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
Here comes the science! Where's Neuro? (I half expected to see him in the picture of the physicists, presumably explaining it to them)

;D

Neuro must be burning some silicon right now, melting some gold and preparing it for diffusion process. After having him made some initial resolution comparison to 70-200 2.8 II we'll read the final statement :)

bkorcel

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »
Too bad it only applies to wavelengths we cant see with our eye.  Great for the datacom guys but dont see the usefulness in photography unless maybe it is used for an off lens AF system...but that kind of defeats the point!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
Actually, its time for Universities to apply for government research grants, and the big ones like Harvard and Mit have large PR departments that churn out praises of their projects.
Nothinng wrong with that, thats how you are successful in getting research dollars.  Just don't confuse it with being something practical or usable.  Its research only, the same as the supposedly 1 trillion frame per second video that is written to make you believe there is a camera that can do that.  Black silicon has been after $$$ for many years now.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »
This tech will in military and security use before it will ever hit the consumer market. :P

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
This tech will in military and security use before it will ever hit the consumer market. :P
Yes, DARPA gives out quite a few grants for research to both Universities and to companies.  In fact, thats how we got the internet.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
Yes, DARPA gives out quite a few grants for research to both Universities and to companies.  In fact, thats how we got the internet.

.... and a few other technologies beyond Internet :)

bkorcel

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
Including 1 megawatt lasers that can bore holes into rock on other worlds.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

Yes, I've visited the DARPAheadquarters and bid on some projects as well as briefing them on our research before I retired. 
I first used the internet back in the mid 1980's before it really caught on.  Back then, it was unix commands only. We had dumb terminals networked to a VAX.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:20 AM »

Yes, I've visited the DARPAheadquarters and bid on some projects as well as briefing them on our research before I retired. 
I first used the internet back in the mid 1980's before it really caught on.  Back then, it was unix commands only. We had dumb terminals networked to a VAX.   

I'curious when They finally will find a way to diffract the light using elecromagnetic field with a reasonable about of power :) the other intersting solution would be spherical sensors. Anyone knows about sth like that?

bkorcel

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
Yeah they tried that already.  It was called the Philadelphia Experiment.   ;D

I'curious when They finally will find a way to diffract the light using elecromagnetic field with a reasonable about of power :) the other intersting solution would be spherical sensors. Anyone knows about sth like that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »