July 25, 2014, 02:50:52 PM

Author Topic: New to Canon Rumors  (Read 2297 times)

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
New to Canon Rumors
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum so please be gentle with me.. I have been reading through the forum for the past six months tracking the slow progress of the 1DX and other things that have caught my eye during this time..

A little about myself if anyone is interested.. Im 23 ( just ) and am living in "sunny" North Devon in the UK, I work in a nation wide camera shop ( If you live in the UK then will know what shop I'm on about ) I truly enjoy my job working with photographic equipment and giving my advice to people.. Iv been into photography for over 8 years starting off with a Fuji S5000 bridge camera ( got to start somewhere ) and loved it..

Within the past 13 months I have seriously invested in Canon and mac equipment.. My kit list is rather long so I do apologise.. My first DSLR was a Canon 7D which was closely followed by the 5D MKII, Lens that I have in my kit are as following ( All canon lens )
15mm 2.8 Fisheye
50mm 1.4
24-70L 2.8
16-35L MKII 2.8
100mm L macro 2.8
70-200L 2.8 IS MKII
1.4x MKIII
2x MKIII
2 x 580 EX II

That was my entire kit until as of yesterday 03.09.12 where I was able to pick up my long awaited 1DX and 400mm 2.8 IS MKII and 24mm T&S .. One word to describe them AMAZING!!! With the little testing that iv done the results have just blown me away..

Now comes the sad part for me, as I was playing around with my new toy today I was taking some pics of my 3 year old black lab playing with a coiled pipe.. I got some great shots as she was jumping on this pipe right up until I got a mechanical error... I didn't think much of it as I thought it was a firmware issue. Removed the battery fired it back up fine, go to look through the viewfinder to see a weird looking line across... So I took the lens off and BANG out fell the focus screen on to the floor :( so now I have a scratched dirty focus screen.. I tried compressed air to knock off anything before placing it back in the camera but its not good... I feel a little miffed, Im going to contact CPS tomorrow and see what they will do.. I should have photographed it with one of my other bodies before I did anything, now I feel like they might turn around and say I have to pay for the repairs :(

Anyway sorry that was such a long intro to me, hope to hear back

Cheers
Alex

canon rumors FORUM

New to Canon Rumors
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New to Canon Rumors
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum so please be gentle with me.. I have been reading through the forum for the past six months tracking the slow progress of the 1DX and other things that have caught my eye during this time..

Now comes the sad part for me, as I was playing around with my new toy today I was taking some pics of my 3 year old black lab playing with a coiled pipe.. I got some great shots as she was jumping on this pipe right up until I got a mechanical error... I didn't think much of it as I thought it was a firmware issue. Removed the battery fired it back up fine, go to look through the viewfinder to see a weird looking line across... So I took the lens off and BANG out fell the focus screen on to the floor :( so now I have a scratched dirty focus screen.. I tried compressed air to knock off anything before placing it back in the camera but its not good... I feel a little miffed, Im going to contact CPS tomorrow and see what they will do.. I should have photographed it with one of my other bodies before I did anything, now I feel like they might turn around and say I have to pay for the repairs :(

Anyway sorry that was such a long intro to me, hope to hear back

Cheers
Alex

Alex, Welcome to Canon rumors.  I'm sorry to hear about the focus screen, it is probably not a big deal.

Indeed, it might have been you accidentally releasing it.

The focus screen will drop down if you happen to press the tiny release tab for it at the top of the mirror box.  If you miss seeing that happen, it will drop out and get dirty.

The good news is that a new one is relatively cheap, they come as a kit with a tool to remove and install them.  Its a easy job you can do yourself.

Forget cleaning one, its a waste of effort.

In the USA, dealers sell the stock screen for about $35, but in the UK, they might come more dearly.  I'm not sure if the 1D X stock screen is the same as the older models, I know that some of the older ones mess up exposure if used in the 1D X due to the new exposure system.

See pg 327 of your manual.

Installation instructions come with the replacement focus screen.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:21:52 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Thats what I thought at first that I had done something, but since I bought the camera the only lens I used on it was the 24-70 up until the focus screen fell out so it ruled out a fault that I may have caused.. I spoke to CPS in the UK the guy was extremely helpful and has arranged for it to be picked up and hopefully sorted out..

Appart from that the 1DX is an amazing camera I have a few test shots on my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/66876906@N06/

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and I have to say that picture you got of the blue moon is sweet!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Wow at 23 you can afford some seriously sweet gear! What kind of (if any) discount do you get working in a camera store?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and I have to say that picture you got of the blue moon is sweet!

Thank you.. The moon pic was single exposure with the 1DX, 400mm2.8 and a 2x mkiii converter

Wow at 23 you can afford some seriously sweet gear! What kind of (if any) discount do you get working in a camera store?
Thank you, I didn't get any discount on my other kit because I wasn't working for Jessops then.. But I did get discount on the 1DX, 400mm and 24mm T&S... The amount I saved on the 1DX and 400mm bought me the 24mm T&S and a MR-14 macro flash and 2x 32gb extreme pro CF cards.. Very grateful to my area manager for that deal.. I dealt with Jessops way before I worked for them and they were and still are a great company from a customers point of view, always willing to help with problems and don't argue if there are... I would rather pay a little extra and be treated with respect and honesty then save £50 and just be fobbed off and fight to get things sorted out..

russ

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »
This same thing happened to me tonight. I was setting up and started doing some test shots which worked fine then at some point I got "ERR" on the LCD and it asked me to take the battery out. I finally took off the lens and there the focus screen was. Popped it back in and shot 600+ frames without a problem. This is the first time I've had a focus screen just pop out and I've been a Canon user since the EOS-1 (film). I guess it's possible to hit the tab when inserting a lens. I don't see the tab is any different than my 1D-mkIV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »