September 19, 2014, 10:06:18 PM

Author Topic: Where can I find a 24-70 Series 1 sample file?  (Read 1637 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Where can I find a 24-70 Series 1 sample file?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
All,
I will be upgrading and have preordered a 24-70 Series 2. But for my current Series 1 I would like to know how the sharpness and/or CA stacks up. Can anyone contribute the location of sample files that can be reliable comparisons with which I can judge the performance of my existing lens? I know the subjects of my tests will be different but I think I can judge based on knowledge of the subjects I see in the sample files.

These files would have to be available at 100%, preferably not jpegs... a tough requirement. I will look on the www.slrgear.com site run by Imaging Resource (www.imaging-resource.com); I would like more than one source.

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions.

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

Where can I find a 24-70 Series 1 sample file?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find a 24-70 Series 1 sample file?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
The QC on the 24-70  f/2.8 MkI varied like crazy. Some fortunate photographers have absolutely stellar copies while others have ploughed through multiple copies in the hope of landing a good one. I have have had four 24-70 MkI zooms and they have all been inconsistent dogs. I have high expectations of the MkII.

So sample image files  won't really tell you much more than how good that particular copy is at the particular aperture at the particular camera to subject distance. Wait for the properly done technical articles on this lens. There will be plenty to read, as this is one of the more highly anticipated lens releases from Canon for some time.

-PW

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
Sample images won't tell you much, many of the lenses are not up to par, all of the lenses have curvature of field.  Lens testers have had a tough time trying to find even one good one, even after sending them to Canon for adjustment.
I have some from the 5 24-70mm L lenses I've had, but they are so bad, I don't post them.
The really good ones (apparently there are some) don't seem to appear on the used market.
I'll not consider the new one until I see a few carefully done tests.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »