July 28, 2014, 06:38:35 AM

Author Topic: What is meant by Shutter count in 5D Mk III menu?  (Read 5193 times)

hhawk

What is meant by Shutter count in 5D Mk III menu?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
I opened the box after receiving what I thought was a brand new 5DMk III from Adorama and was going through the menus and found a menu titled, "Shutter count" and to the right the number 209...Canon support tells me that this is some form of file numbering system in place from the factory and totally unrelated to shutter count  as it is labeled. Why would it mean anything other than shutter count? That's like saying that the white balance setting is really the aperture setting isn't it? : ) I think I purchased a used camera under false pretenses. Would any of you concur?

canon rumors FORUM

What is meant by Shutter count in 5D Mk III menu?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »

apw100

Re: What is meant by Shutter count in 5D Mk III menu?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
Did you try taking a picture and seeing if the Shutter Count went to 210?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
As in pg 338 of your camera manual??  Its the number of shutter actuations since the battery was recharged.  Did you put a new battery  in it, or one from another camera.
The number should go to zero after you recharge your battery.

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
As in pg 338 of your camera manual??  Its the number of shutter actuations since the battery was recharged.  Did you put a new battery  in it, or one from another camera.

THE Guru!
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »

is it really going to get the shutter count from the battery?? weird..

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »

No no... only shutter actuations since the battery was changed. The *REAL* shutter count is still different.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

thebowtie

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • You want me to rant? Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

What it says to me is: "Hey, here's how much capacity is left in the battery - you have shot a whole bunch of frames on this one".
Much more useful to me than "it's probably fully charged", "it's somewhere between fully charged and flat" and "charge me now" - which is all I get from the 'fuel-gauge' style of charge indicator on my old 50D.

Definitely, this is a sweet feature!  :)
A Camera. Some Lenses. Some accessories. Talent on back-order

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

skip_dye

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »
I opened the box after receiving what I thought was a brand new 5DMk III from Adorama and was going through the menus and found a menu titled, "Shutter count" and to the right the number 209...Canon support tells me that this is some form of file numbering system in place from the factory and totally unrelated to shutter count  as it is labeled. Why would it mean anything other than shutter count? That's like saying that the white balance setting is really the aperture setting isn't it? : ) I think I purchased a used camera under false pretenses. Would any of you concur?

Wouldn't you expect some kind of quality control testing after the camera comes off the assembly line? I know I do. I work in manufacturing, so I might have different expectations.

Maybe that camera was off a little. Say it only got 5 fps. Some Canon pulled it back and tweaked it to get it up to spec.  That is done in manufacturing all the time.

Alan

hhawk

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
Since posting this message, I made contact with Canon support again and this time I actually received some logical answers. The shutter count sub- menu within the battery info menu measures battery condition by counting how many shutter actuation's you have taken per battery. Every time you recharge a battery, the count goes to 0. Over the life of a battery this number will drop. To measure the actual shutter actuation's , I had good results with EOSCount.com. Its cheap and accurate. : )

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
Since posting this message, I made contact with Canon support again and this time I actually received some logical answers. The shutter count sub- menu within the battery info menu measures battery condition by counting how many shutter actuation's you have taken per battery. Every time you recharge a battery, the count goes to 0. Over the life of a battery this number will drop. To measure the actual shutter actuation's , I had good results with EOSCount.com. Its cheap and accurate. : )

Lol did you even read any of the responses?  Two people answered this for you....
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »