December 19, 2014, 12:49:08 PM

Author Topic: Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?  (Read 5154 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »

"Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention "

-Frank Sinatra
My Way

I just looked at a picture of a saguaro cactus and suddenly realized I never took a picture of one. From 1996 to 1999, I lived in Tucson -- could have stepped out on my balcony anytime and got a picture. Sadly, I wasn't taking pictures during that period. I don't think I took more than one or two rolls of film pictures in those three years.

Anyway, it got me thinking about missed pictures, ones that good, avid photographers might regret having missed. What was a picture that, for one reason or another, you just didn't get -- one you could have but it didn't happen? I don't mean going to the moon and snapping one of Armstrong's footprints. I mean one you probably could have taken, one you missed, one that failed that will never happen again.

Mine may be a saguaro in a desert sunset, maybe up in the purplish light of Sabino Canyon. I'll have to think about it. I don't think I'll ever get back to the Sonoran Desert, so that's a regret.

I'm curious. How about you?
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »

DCM1024

Re: Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
This is one on my regrets, and perhaps someone more talented with post could make it better. I had just purchased the T2i, find't realize that it was on auto ISO. I got a noisy 3200, background too dark for the black swans - it could have been lovely.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »
This is one on my regrets, and perhaps someone more talented with post could make it better. I had just purchased the T2i, find't realize that it was on auto ISO. I got a noisy 3200, background too dark for the black swans - it could have been lovely.
If you crop out the leaves on top, you do have a lovely picture. Just look at the reflection of the swan on the left. May be the t2i does have a creative side ;)

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
I regret... well...

Once upon a time, I traveled to the Florida keys to take some pictures of whatever we could.

Sunrise... and on Big Pine key there was an estuary.  You'd think it was the west side of things, but since the road is heading west at that point, it was actually on the east side of things.  Great sunup.  Oh man, to die for, big round sun, and hoards of wading birds, and roosting birds.   I was shooting a Nikon F2 with a 400/5.6, and my buddy was shooting a Bronica S2a with a 150 Nikkor on it.

I told him to wait... I was fiddling, trying to make sure the film was advancing... trying to set up a "Leitz Tiltall" tripod in the semi-mud that we crawled in on, so as not to disturb the birds.  Almost ready...

KERRRRAAAAACK!

That S2a went off like an explosion.  Those Bronicas were focal plane cameras... loud as hell.  No sneaking up on anything with those.  He got the shot, I got skunked.  Ended up begrudgingly taking a few sunrise pictures, and made sure he got to walk a lot in Key West, carrying that Godawful heavy Bronica, while I had a nice 24/2.8 on my F2.

Dunno if that counts as a missed shot, but... there ya go, from 1977.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »
A missed video, actually.

One of our cats developed a great ability - he would give a massage.  Seriously, he would get in there and knead a sore muscle (and he knew which one was sore) like a pro.  Both front paws kneading away, with his whole body swaying and pushing to really apply some pressure (quite an impressive amount for an 8 pound fellow).  I always wanted to get a video of it...but kept putting it off.

Then he passed.

Since then, when I see something worth photographing or filming, I try to make certain I get it immediately, without delay.  'Cause you never know when time is up.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
You can view my missed shots at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdphotography79/

:P 8)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
99% of my shots are "missed" shots!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:15 AM »
A large seagull landed near me with a trophy (a small fish) in its beak. The moment I missed was throwing the fish into its mouth shot in macro. I was so fascinated with other birds in the sky, that I didn't even looked on my girl-friend's reaction to what was happenning  ???

Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:38 AM »
well last year for xmas I gave my camera to my little sister so I could upgrade - which I haven't done it yet - I was waiting for 5d mk3 but too expensive when it came out and then when i made my mind to get the mk2 it started rumours of this new entry level FF - so I'm waiting for photokina now..

Anyways in January I was in Paris and stayed with a friend. Her place had the most amazing view over paris, the eiffel tower and some other interesting buildings.. 1 evening there was this AMAZING sunset and I was just wishing to have my camera with me.. might go back to visit her again when i have a new camera just for that shot!!

jspiteri

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Not so much a missed picture but lost pictures.

I spent a month in Peru in my teens, travelling through the amazon rainforest, climbing a 5500m peak in the andes, helping to rejuvenate a school for Quechuan speaking locals of a rural mountain village. All during this time i was backing up my photos to an portable storage device which i then proceeded to naively/stupidly pack into my check in luggage for the flight back...it never came out the other end! Well, that was my lesson learn't. Thankfully I had a fair number of images left on memory cards and photos from those I was travelling with, but i'll never know what my shots were like from the Rainforest, from which none survived.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:34:12 AM by jspiteri »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »

"Regrets, I've had a few

-Frank Sinatra
My Way

I just looked at a picture of a saguaro cactus and suddenly realized I never took a picture of one. From 1996 to 1999, I lived in Tucson -- could have stepped out on my balcony anytime and got a picture. Sadly, I wasn't taking pictures during that period. I don't think I took more than one or two rolls of film pictures in those three years.

Anyway, it got me thinking about missed pictures, ones that good, avid photographers might regret having missed. What was a picture that, for one reason or another, you just didn't get -- one you could have but it didn't happen? I don't mean going to the moon and snapping one of Armstrong's footprints. I mean one you probably could have taken, one you missed, one that failed that will never happen again.

Mine may be a saguaro in a desert sunset, maybe up in the purplish light of Sabino Canyon. I'll have to think about it. I don't think I'll ever get back to the Sonoran Desert, so that's a regret.

Shouldn't this thread be Sans Photos?  :-X

DCM1024

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »

"Regrets, I've had a few

-Frank Sinatra
My Way

Shouldn't this thread be Sans Photos?  :-X

To me, a photo I wanted that went wrong is still a missed shot.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »
also once i lost a SD card from an underwater camera that i had - really cheap one.
inside that card I had amazing pictures of reefs in fiji and me swimming with reef sharks! got really close to them. a  tourist girl that went with me asked me for the pics so I gave her the card, she returned back and Im pretty sure that I put it back in my bag. but next day wanted to use and couldn't find the bloody card..!

these were pics of once in a lifetime! im not swimming with sharks so soon i believe! neither going to fiji :(
so not really a missed shot but a lost memory card :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
Oh that’s easy!
On holiday in Sorrento, and out of one of those really narrow streets came what looked like the oldest guy in the world pushing a vespa it looked like it was killing him. The composition was perfect and the crowd seemed to part to allow a perfect framing. My daughter had the (shared) camera, didn’t see the picture then it was gone, lost in the crowd. Ah well not the end of the world but lesson learnt – shared camera not a good idea!!  ::)

And on a different type of lost on honeymoon many years ago got my camera stolen when we were at a dinner dance. My wife was wearing a fabulous dress she looked stunning – all pictures gone. She never wore the dress again. >:(

Thanks distant for reawakening the memories I’m all sad now! :'(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:15:05 AM by zim »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »
I wish there were more pics of me with my grandparents, but money wasn't abundant in the west of Scotland in the early 80s and film and printing wasn't cheap.

Moral, that cliff in your sunset will be there in 10'000 years, take more photos of and with the people you love.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »