April 21, 2014, 06:13:25 AM

Author Topic: Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?  (Read 4727 times)

PhotoBadger

Re: Regrets -- Your One Missed Picture?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
Ha! More than I care to think about.

Probably the best was on holiday in Barbados - we had monkeys visit the hotel every dawn to steal mangoes from trees around the pool.  So I was up & waiting, and the gang came along including some young.

After a while they had their fill and started  to move off, and a great big mango fell out of the tree beside me. So I picked it up and tossed it to one of the young in the hopes they'd stick around. Then I turned (still don't know why) and right next to me, hanging upside down with teeth bared and paws grasping was Dadmonkey, extremely hacked off that I just nicked his prize mango.

Did I get the shot? Did I hell. I backed away screaming quietly and firing the flash in the hopes of scaring him off. And then I changed my trousers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »

drolo61

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
Traveling on Java in the late '80s in a small village
Two boys, around 6 years old, stood behind a picket fence.
One of them held a kitten by the neck fur trough the fence.
Boys behiind fence, kitten in front of the fence.
As soon as they noticed me, they stood stone faced and posed for the picture.
Unfortunately I had a 200mm mounted, so I got a nice portrait of the boys.
To go for the kitten, that still stroggeld to get free, I took down the camera.
The spell broken, they let go of the kiten and ran away laughing,
and I misse dthe shot.
Still today, when I see that picture, the kitten is always in...

And for (almost) lost shots
From that travel I returned with about 30 roll of film, and after processing and reviewing I found that kitten shot missing.
I searched all luggage carefully and retained that one missing roll, that at least provided the lasting memory of the little cat.
5D & 5D3  -  50 1,4  -  24-70 2,8L II  -   135 2,0L  -  70-200 4,0L IS  -  100 2,0  -  24-105 4,0L IS

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
I wish there were more pics of me with my grandparents, but money wasn't abundant in the west of Scotland in the early 80s and film and printing wasn't cheap.

Moral, that cliff in your sunset will be there in 10'000 years, take more photos of and with the people you love.

Amen, brother!

If you were to take away every picture I ever made, the last one I'd give up would be one I took of the family in July, 1967 just before I went to Vietnam. There is nothing to recommend it photographically/artistically, but it's the best picture I ever took.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
Moral, that cliff in your sunset will be there in 10'000 years, take more photos of and with the people you love.

this is indeed very true :)

skinkfoot

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
I was setting up for taking some barn swallow pictures beside a bridge,  tripod was setup camera in hand, when I heard quite a commotion, I looked up and a peregrin falcon had taken out a barn swallow and all the other swallows where dive bombing the falcon, the falcon and victim passed 15 feet infront of me, I started firing, nothing happened until 10 seconds later,  I previously was shooting landscape without shutter release and didn't change it before I put the camera away, IDIOT!

Jotho

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
I wish there were more pics of me with my grandparents, but money wasn't abundant in the west of Scotland in the early 80s and film and printing wasn't cheap.

Amen, brother!

If you were to take away every picture I ever made, the last one I'd give up would be one I took of the family in July, 1967 just before I went to Vietnam. There is nothing to recommend it photographically/artistically, but it's the best picture I ever took.

Im currently in Vietnam. I missed a great shot the other day up outside A Luoi going back from Hamburger Hill. The sun came
out through the clouds over the valley. But I was soaked and my 24-105 had given up as it was also soaked. I did stop the motorbike and enjoyed the moment so I guess I have the image in my head instead.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »