December 21, 2014, 04:07:13 PM

Author Topic: Should I stay with Canon or moving to Nikon  (Read 6061 times)

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Should I stay with Canon or moving to Nikon
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
I had the same dilemma until I've tried real photography.  One thing, among your tools, lens is more important than your body.  2nd thing, photography will always be relying more on the photographer and not the tools.  I am using 500D since 2009.  You might say it's old but I have some excellent lenses like 28mm F1.8 and 100mm F2.8 macro non-L.  I still envy those using Nikon D90 and the even the newer Canon bodies but it did not stop me from taking better pictures than those using better cameras than 500D.  Nowadays, it doesn't really matter if you're using Canon or Nikon or Sony.  What matters is that you continue to take pictures and continue to learn while taking them.  I also don't fear scrutiny of my photography.  In fact I'm happier if somebody criticizes my work.   :)  I'm telling you 600d is more than enough to produce very good pictures even at higher ISO.  Someday, I might change to full frame but meanwhile, I just continue to shoot until my camera refuse to shoot anymore.
+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 04:03:12 AM »
Thanks xps.  Somehow, I hope everybody can just be happy and shoot.  I have also a Canon G11 and I'm happy that some of my friends envy a lot of my shots I'm able to produce with just a point and shoot.  But of course, I'm still dreaming of a 5D2 or 5D3 + 17-40.  :)  I hope Canon can produce sub $1500 full frame.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »
However, many of my friends encourage me to switch to Nikon with the following reason below:-

Forget about the difference in the specs. As a newbie everything will make nice pictures; and even if you become a pro, it does not matter. Some pros are shooting Nikon, some Canon, both can live with what they have.

There is only one reason I can think of, that would make sense for you to switch. If all or most of your friends have Nikons, than it would make sense to switch to Nikon, because you could share some eqiupment, say a special lens for some work you like to do, or a second body you could borrow to shoot an event, or you can buy used eqiupment from them.

So stop worry about tech specs, todays cameras are amazing compared to what we had 10 years ago, and the difference between brands is neglectable.

gnd

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »
- why would you guys stay with Canon?
We love Canon. Even if Nikon gets better sometimes.

- The image quaily between Canon and Nikon are different?
Depends on camera model. Right now Nikon D800 (sensor made by SONY) has arguably the best IQ in the world. Not for long. So, you should be asking if image quality between Canon and SONY are different. 

- Is canon's noise performance really bad compare to nikon?
Check the tests.

- Pros and cons for each brand
They're both great, innovative, established photo brands set apart competition. If we need to say, Canon has fantastic lenses and diverse range, the L series is legendary. But it all depends on your budget. Nikon is a school of its own. Has seen a lot of rugged action since the film days. That's enough to make a name. In digital imaging Nikon never caught up. They left it to SONY.

- P.s I am taking for both landscape and portrait
Landscape, check the works of Art Wolfe and his gear. Portrait, the EF85/1.2L II is the best lens in world as we speak. From the 600D you'd probably upgrade to Canon 7D. Fantastic model and vastly improved with the latest firmware. Look no further.

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
  I hope Canon can produce sub $1500 full frame.
I don´t think they slaughter their cash cows.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 04:23:31 AM »
I hope Canon can produce sub $1500 full frame.
I don´t think they slaughter their cash cows.

Not yet anyway, in 5-10 years the pressure from mirrorless and cheaper system cameras might get so high they'll trickle the ff downwards. But a 5d2 replacement will be more like $2000+ as the 5d3 is still $3000+

From the 600D you'd probably upgrade to Canon 7D. Fantastic model and vastly improved with the latest firmware. Look no further.

... unless you want to keep access to *the* killer feature that separates Canon from Nikon and the reason I am using Canon: The possibility to install firmware addons like Magic Lantern (unfortunately doesn't run on 7d).

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:54 AM »
Do you use magic latern? Is it worth installing on the 60D?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:54 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »
I think if Nikon produces a sub $1500 FF or near that price, Canon will be forced to release one also.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »
For 60D, I think it's worth it if you're going doing movies.  As for stills, it depends.  I have used it on my 500D but I can't find enough reason to use it.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:19 AM »
Have you and your mates taken a real world photo of the same object at the same time and compared the Canon shot with the Nikon?  Was one better than the other?  Which one?

At some low ISO's some Nikon bodies have an edge over some Canon ones.  With other settings, Canon has the edge.  The differences are real and noticeable.  But do they matter.  Do they make one photo "better" and does anyone really care?  Only you can answer that one.  Like many people, I can't tell the extraordinarily subtle differences between a Canon photo and a Nikon photo, unless they are side by side and even then I feel the Canon photos are better at least half the time.  Given that Canon has the lenses I want (and which Nikon lacks or wants to charge extremely high prices), I'm happy in the Canon camp.  Your needs may differ.
Camera Obscura

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 06:26:50 AM »

1. Better noise performance !!!!!
2. Better Image quaily !!!!!
Marginally at best - you need ideal circumstances to actually get benefits of the sensor in lets say the D800/E.

3. All focus point light metering !!!!!
That would be my second main grief w. most Canon cams. The other point is the sync time, most Nikons run circles around the 5D3 in case you want to use flash while the sun is out. That and the battery grip design, no quick (un-)mounting based on the situation...
4. Faster control
A matter of taste and the actual task to be done.
- why would you guys stay with Canon?
Lenses. No earth shattering differences, but some little things here and there that add up and

Although "stay" is not the best term - using both systems makes that somewhat a moot point. :)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »

Argh - ml is the absolute killer, just install it. It even improves still image quality because the ml isos are *better* than the Canon isos due to different digic configurations!

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »

Argh - ml is the absolute killer, just install it. It even improves still image quality because the ml isos are *better* than the Canon isos due to different digic configurations!

thanks. I´ll install it after getting my 60D repaired (stop down button has no function anymore).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »