October 23, 2014, 02:59:51 AM

Author Topic: 6D and crop feature  (Read 8524 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: 6D and crop feature
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »
In camera cropping would be usefull if it came with a boost in FPS
Good point. Hadn't thought about that. But then again I never shoot anything but raw. Speed is definitely not a huge concern to me.

For me 5 FPS is enough.  I just want more DR and more IQ more than FPS.v:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »

JimKarczewski

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
Won't happen.

That' "brilliant" piece of tech to crop in camera like that is patented by Nikon..

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
Won't happen.

That' "brilliant" piece of tech to crop in camera like that is patented by Nikon..

The joys of our patent system. Take something that pretty much anybody could of thought up without stealing it from the original company, patent it and now you can sue anybody else that copies what you do. GENIUS!!!
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Canon-F1

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
Won't happen.

that does not mean canon can not make their own patent.
or even buy it from nikon.

that is not uncommon.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 05:39:54 AM »
Nope.

Canon PR has stated repeatedly "if you want reach/crop etc, do it in post; if you want smaller files use SRAW".

On an FX Nikon you can physically mount a DX lens & the body will figure out that it needs to switch to crop mode.

An EF-S lens will not physically fit on an FF canon body.  Even if you cut the "mount preventer" off it's there for a reason:  the shorter registration distance of EF-S would cause the mirror to whack the rear element, even on an APS-H camera.  This has been hashed out here in several threads & that's the conclusion.

Without the ability to mount crop lenses, there really isn't very much reason for them to do this.  It's not like the slower fps cameras are only limited by their processing speed; the shutter & mirror aren't designed to go much faster either (& don't have the duty cycle rating for the number of actuations that high-speed cameras tend to produce).

Now, a lot higher FPS would technically be possible in a camera with a fast processor & a cheap shutter when blocked open in live-view mode, but at the moment Canon's live-view AF can't keep up with more than about 4 fps (μ4/3 can though...).

For the moment, you'll have to be content with the 2 megapickle 30fps or 1 megapickle 60fps burst modes built into recent EOS cameras.  I believe it's called "movie mode" <grin>.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:50:26 AM by funkboy »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:51 AM »
Canon PR has stated repeatedly "if you want reach/crop etc, do it in post; if you want smaller files use SRAW".

Hard to believe if Canon produces gimmicks in-camera hdr or multishot-nr. Of course in-camera cropping would be convenient if you realize your lens doesn't have enough reach and don't want to produce trash data in the raw file that rests in peace on your hard disk. It's just that cropping from 22mp doesn't leave very much, but with a high-mp body it surely would make sense.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »
Hard to believe if Canon produces gimmicks in-camera hdr or multishot-nr. Of course in-camera cropping would be convenient if you realize your lens doesn't have enough reach and don't want to produce trash data in the raw file that rests in peace on your hard disk. It's just that cropping from 22mp doesn't leave very much, but with a high-mp body it surely would make sense.

Of course "post" has come to mean the in-camera crop tools as well.  I'm specifically referring to the ability to "turn off" most of the sensor in the interest of getting more "reach" (which has been hashed out here to death) or speeding up the FPS, à la Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »

viaissimo

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »
If you compare the mount of an EF-S with an EF lens, you can see a plastic ring around the inner lens which prevents the EF-S from being mounted on a Canon FF.
Of course crop can be done in post production, but it would be quite interesting to be able to interchange lenses in both ways: If someone (like "paulgmccabe") uses primarely an APS-C-sensor camera (I guess cause of the crop for more tele), he/she still might want to have a second camera-body. So why not choose a FF!? At Nikon you wouldn't be in that urgent need to upgrade all your glasses to FF, of course loosing MPx while croping - but that's saving costs and maybe sometimes extra kilos carrying around two types of lenses.
Once again I have to admit, well done Nikon!

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »

My biggest reluctance with getting a 7D is only the low light performance where it badly trails behind the likes of the D7000.
i cant see a huge difference in iq between d7000 and 7d sensor at high iso (2/3 of stop...maybe) and is AF, shutter lag, speed and so on the 7d is a better camera than d7000/d300s.
Not quite correct, there is a noticeable difference sensor-wise between Canon's 18mp and that sony 16mp across the whole spectrum, more so in Pentax's implemenation.
Plus 7d & d300 have the same fps and actually 7d has the worst shutter lag of all 3 (.45 vs .54 vs .64) and despite its price its a single drive camera without spot linked meter. Having said that, i like the responsiveness of 7d's AF, the reach and the build but i've never recommended it cause there is just not a single iso setting without noise :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »