August 23, 2014, 04:08:07 PM

Author Topic: Need advise/shared experience on repair of 100-400L  (Read 1260 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Need advise/shared experience on repair of 100-400L
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
Hi, so for the last few months I have found that my 100-400 was not focusing like before. So I did the brave thing and gave it to Canon to fix. They tell me that they need to change the focusing assembly and some IS part as well as some channel. The cost of repair is going to be Rs 25000 (about US$470) which is 25% the cost of a new lens in India. Now I love my lens and the cost of repair seems to be such that I think I should go ahead with it. If it was say 50% the cost of a new lens, I would have seriously considered purchasing a new lens. So I probably will repair it but thought I'd look for advise and experience from you all. My questions are:
  • Have you faced something like this? I have had this lens for over 6 years and bought it in the grey market.
  • Do you think the cost for repair is fair? I am still awaiting a mail from them outlining the details.
  • Do you think I should be quizzing them about anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise/shared experience on repair of 100-400L
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
A freshly repaired Lens should be worth 80% of the value of a new lens, it might be in better shape IQ wise than it was new.
Sell it after it is repaired, if you want new.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
A freshly repaired Lens should be worth 80% of the value of a new lens, it might be in better shape IQ wise than it was new.

Thanks for that. I had not considered that...

bkorcel

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
It is a fair price considering the time it takes to even crack one of these lenses open.  Make sure you tell them which camera you use the lens with.  They will adjust focus with the same model.  If it needs cleaning (lots of dust and dirt inside, have them do it while they have it (if you plan to keep it).  The 100-400 does suck in air when you zoom so it does need periodic cleaning.

Thanks for that. I had not considered that...