December 18, 2017, 03:54:31 PM

Author Topic: Aurora Aperture Introduces Industry First Rear Mount Glass Filter for Canon EF 11-24mm F4L USM  (Read 9915 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: New rear-slot ND for 11-24L available
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
This solution does not address CPL filters which more people would want then a 9+ stop filters. And the big elephant in the room.. Is it made so that the filter can not slip off in the camera and get buggered up in your mirror or shutters...

11-24L + CPL = SOL.  You have to go big. 

You need either the XL-sized Wonderpana or you need the NiSi setup, which both run around 180mm or so.

Lee's SW150 II simply isn't big enough for 11mm (it's 13mm-ish if memory serves) use and you have to choose between CPL or grad use -- there's neither a CPL nor a dedicated ring for a CPL for that setup, so you have to use a large square polarizer and turn the holder.

(Or you go *really* third party and get some fairly budget rapid prototyping solutions that some folks are offering.)

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
For the rear mounted filters, I think 6stops or slower is an overkill, I would like to see a 2stop filter as well. For most situations 6stop nd will make composing photos insanely difficult and I am saying this while living in tropical India.

Are you using Live View?  I am generally able to compose and focus on the LCD with ~11.75 stops of darkening (10-stop ND plus CPL) yielding daytime exposures up to a minute.
No I havent tried using Live view, I generally need a ND filter to cut off available light to decent level so I can take habitat shots of animals. During summers available light is just too much for photography during daytime and I only need a 2Stop ND filter to get shutter speeds down to reasonable level.

ExodistPhotography

• EOS M5
  • Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
    • Joe's Photo & Video Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
This solution does not address CPL filters which more people would want then a 9+ stop filters. And the big elephant in the room.. Is it made so that the filter can not slip off in the camera and get buggered up in your mirror or shutters...

11-24L + CPL = SOL.  You have to go big. 

You need either the XL-sized Wonderpana or you need the NiSi setup, which both run around 180mm or so.

Lee's SW150 II simply isn't big enough for 11mm (it's 13mm-ish if memory serves) use and you have to choose between CPL or grad use -- there's neither a CPL nor a dedicated ring for a CPL for that setup, so you have to use a large square polarizer and turn the holder.

(Or you go *really* third party and get some fairly budget rapid prototyping solutions that some folks are offering.)

- A

Yep exactly..   

vangelismm

• PowerShot G1 X II
For the rear mounted filters, I think 6stops or slower is an overkill, I would like to see a 2stop filter as well. For most situations 6stop nd will make composing photos insanely difficult and I am saying this while living in tropical India.

Are you using Live View?  I am generally able to compose and focus on the LCD with ~11.75 stops of darkening (10-stop ND plus CPL) yielding daytime exposures up to a minute.
No I havent tried using Live view, I generally need a ND filter to cut off available light to decent level so I can take habitat shots of animals. During summers available light is just too much for photography during daytime and I only need a 2Stop ND filter to get shutter speeds down to reasonable level.

F10 1/800 ISO 400

Whats the ND 2 stop role here? Bring shutter from 1/3200 to 1/800?
If so, why not iso 100 or what is wrong with fast shutter speeds?

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
Hi vangelismm 
My guess would be to get away from the maximum shutter speed of the camera, without the 2stop ND filter and the settings of F10 & ISO 400 still used the shot would only need a little more light to push the EOS 600D over the 1/4000 maximum available shutter speed.
However your other point seems valid, why not use ISO 100?

Cheers, Graham. 

F10 1/800 ISO 400

7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV

F10 1/800 ISO 400

I took that photo at around 830 in morning(exif time is wrong) and I was sitting there waiting for wolves since 6 in morning. By 1030 or so even at ISO 100 shutter speeds cross 1/1000sec and in many cases(when shooting at lower apertures on 400 f/5.6 to isolate subject) it hits the upper limit of 600D. So for a 2 stop nd filter is more than sufficient to bring down shutter speed to reasonable value while keeping lens wide open.
Hi vangelismm 
My guess would be to get away from the maximum shutter speed of the camera, without the 2stop ND filter and the settings of F10 & ISO 400 still used the shot would only need a little more light to push the EOS 600D over the 1/4000 maximum available shutter speed.
However your other point seems valid, why not use ISO 100?

Cheers, Graham. 

F10 1/800 ISO 400

In case of that photo I was photographing since sunrise(around 610 or so) so had higher ISO value set which was progressively brought down to ISO 100. summer months is mating season for most lizard species here so we have to sit out in sun in noon waiting for them to start mating display to attract females. Also many carnivores(wolves, hyneas, foxes, jungle cats, etc) give birth which is another reason to shoot at one of  the worst times of day.

Jack Douglas

• http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
As often happens there can be more to the story than initially comes to mind.  Interesting.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

canon rumors FORUM

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
Cool – thanks for posting!  I might have to (pre)order a set of the rear slot filters.

Wait. You mean there was something Neuro didn't know?  :o

Jack Douglas

• http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
Cool – thanks for posting!  I might have to (pre)order a set of the rear slot filters.

Wait. You mean there was something Neuro didn't know?  :o

I've often wondered myself!  :) Wish I had a memory that could keep half as much organized.  What I can say proudly is that I try my best, regardless of the outcome.  In spite of the personality conflicts that sometimes surface, there is a very good group of very knowledgeable/helpful/considerate folk on CR, including Neuro.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »