October 24, 2014, 08:53:45 AM

Author Topic: Upgrading from Canon 60D to 5D MkII: Help me decide!  (Read 12636 times)

Matthew19

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from Canon 60D to 5D MkII: Help me decide!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »
I never got a shot to look like this on my t2i, I get them all the time with the 5d ii :

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 05:11:51 AM »
Yes, the 5D II has AFMA.

Is the afma on the 5d2 the same as on the 5d3? I barely remember reading the 5d3 has more afma settings like for different zoom lengths or something?
The 5D3 (and 1DX) allow you to set different AFMA for the wide and telephone ends of a lens and presumably interpolate the in-between lenghs. Using Reikan FoCal I came up with an AFMA adjustment of 2 at 70mm and 6 at 200mm for a 70-200 IS II. When I had a 5D2 I only had one choice, so stuck with 200mm where I used the lens most for critical focus shots, it's nice to have the option to set both ends, but probably not too earth-shattering depending how much your lenses vary at both ends and what you shoot.

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 05:50:40 AM »
Great feedback as usual. It left me thinking, maybe save up and get the 5D mk iii later. Have they fixed black AF point issue, also how do I make sure I dont end up getting a body that has the light leak issue?

Technically, the images will certainly be better but will still be dependent on your creativity if you're looking at it aesthetically.  Upgrading is good but it also depends on your financial capability.  It will still be better to build your lens list first before you upgrade to a better body and just keep on shooting.  After you buy your lenses then I think it will be the best time to upgrade the body.  The body by that time will either be a lot better than the current or a lot cheaper.  Please remember that most of the time, it's the lenses that will limit your ability to take photos and not the camera body especially that it's 60D, still one of the newest camera body in Canon lineup.

Yeah, I was going that route before deciding to change the body. I have noticed I really really struggle with reach even with crop body. I initially planned to get the Canon 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS) but held out thinking telephoto of this range would probably be better with IS (to reduce camera shake) given I avoid bumping up the ISO in my 60D to avoid grains/noise. I have the following lens at this time

1) Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX Pro
2) Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
3) Canon 50mm 1.8 II (which I am selling off as I barely use it)

So if end up not purchasing a new body, I will most likely eye 70-200 f2.8L. I see myself selling off the Tokina IF I do go for a full frame, even though that is by far my most favorite lens. :( Maybe replace it with Canon 17-40 f4L?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:59:02 AM by killswitch »

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
I never got a shot to look like this on my t2i, I get them all the time with the 5d ii :

Great shot.  Did you use any diffused flash to light the subject? Some folks experienced banding on their photos (visible when cropped 100%) taken with the 5D mk ii, I was wondering if you have ever faced such issue with your 5d mk ii?

Matthew19

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »

Great shot.  Did you use any diffused flash to light the subject? Some folks experienced banding on their photos (visible when cropped 100%) taken with the 5D mk ii, I was wondering if you have ever faced such issue with your 5d mk ii?

Yes I bounced the flash from a wall behind me and then process the raw file in light room. I think the depth of field of the 5D just looks good, this was at f/8. I haven't noticed any banding unless with video due to the codec.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
I have both and I have to say, I don't feel as though I love my 5DmkII as I should.

Reading through some of the points on this thread, I have my own thoughts about FF.

1) "feels like FF" - honestly, I want to say all of the bad things I've seen from lenses is more pronounced in FF (CA, barrel distortion, and vignetting) vs crop.  I've been shooting with my 24-105 on the 5D and can't believe how much more correction is needed for vignetting  -- maybe it's not that where people get the 'feel' from, but that's what I've seen

2) The iso difference on the 5D rocks hard, probably the best thing about it

3) Never seen banding myself

4) Nice shot for the dog, but if you go back and pick up a rebel, you'll be surprised what you can get out of 'lower end' cameras after you've been shooting a while.  I'm still more comfortable with my 60D;  these days, (aside from un-cooperative subjects or bystanders) I can't seem to get a bad shot.

5) Auto-Focus speed seems faster to me on the 60D, but I believe Neuro said at one point that it wasn't any faster than the 5D

Lastly, mk3 vs mk2, you're going to see a at BEST $1k difference in the bodies for some time (best price, I mean) . . . until you've shot on FF for a while, you may not see as much improvement for the price difference.

Personally, I've decided to start selling some gear and moving both bodies up a notch, but I have ALWAYS had a bad case of accessoritis and upgraditis.  I get sick of cars 9 months into them, but I'm working on that.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »
i truly believe the move to FF makes a huge difference. the iq is unquestionably better. in my opinion it takes your photography to a different level that is worth the money. it allows you to get shots you couldn't get before and that is worth an undefined amount
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »

sb

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
While the 5D MK III is a excellent camera, I sent mine back.  The inability to see the AF points in dark rooms is a killer.  I can see the much larger 7D AF points, but not the 5D MK III.
5D MK II's were available for under $1600 over labor day, and I bought a 2nd one after returning my 5D MK III thru CLP for $1407.
If I catch one of the 5D MK III's that is through a authorized reseller for $2800, I'll probably go for it, but $3500 is too much.

+1

Yep I got a second Mk2 as well.

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

For one thing, you'd only capture 62.5% of the image on your T2i.  If you were 15 inches from the puppy with the 5Dii, then you have to be 24 inches away with the T2i to get the same composition.  Then there is the IQ, which tends to be subjective.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
Building your lenses (getting quality lenses) first for me is that path that should be taken first.  The comment regarding lens imperfection becomes more pronounced in FF bodies is true which is the primary reason why moving to an FF body should be done last.  Crossing my fingers though, I hope FF cameras become a lot cheaper than what it is now.  With that, I hope Nikon and Sony do their best releasing cheap and good bodies.  Hopefully this will force Canon to release cheaper bodies than 5D3. :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:12 AM »
Yeah, a 17-40 F4L will be your best UWA except if you really need a faster lens which I doubt if you're into landscape photography.  Hold on to your 50mm 1.8 yet (unless you're planning to upgrade to 50 1.4 or 1.2L).  This will be one of your most used focal length with full frame.  It's also so cheap that you'll not regret keeping it. :)

Great feedback as usual. It left me thinking, maybe save up and get the 5D mk iii later. Have they fixed black AF point issue, also how do I make sure I dont end up getting a body that has the light leak issue?

Technically, the images will certainly be better but will still be dependent on your creativity if you're looking at it aesthetically.  Upgrading is good but it also depends on your financial capability.  It will still be better to build your lens list first before you upgrade to a better body and just keep on shooting.  After you buy your lenses then I think it will be the best time to upgrade the body.  The body by that time will either be a lot better than the current or a lot cheaper.  Please remember that most of the time, it's the lenses that will limit your ability to take photos and not the camera body especially that it's 60D, still one of the newest camera body in Canon lineup.

Yeah, I was going that route before deciding to change the body. I have noticed I really really struggle with reach even with crop body. I initially planned to get the Canon 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS) but held out thinking telephoto of this range would probably be better with IS (to reduce camera shake) given I avoid bumping up the ISO in my 60D to avoid grains/noise. I have the following lens at this time

1) Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX Pro
2) Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
3) Canon 50mm 1.8 II (which I am selling off as I barely use it)

So if end up not purchasing a new body, I will most likely eye 70-200 f2.8L. I see myself selling off the Tokina IF I do go for a full frame, even though that is by far my most favorite lens. :( Maybe replace it with Canon 17-40 f4L?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:12 AM »