Canon has Better Bodies
52 (22.9%)
Nikon has Better Lenses
9 (4%)
Canon has Better Lenses
106 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 21, 2012, 10:42:39 AM

Author Topic: Nikon vs Canon - Honest Poll before photokina.  (Read 6050 times)

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Nikon vs Canon - Honest Poll before photokina.
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
A Simple straight forward poll, Who is better in Bodies and Lenses?

Two votes are allowed, One for body choice and Lens choice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:46:10 AM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon vs Canon - Honest Poll before photokina.
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Nikon vs Canon - Honest Poll before photokina.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
Its obvious.

Canon makes better lenses but Nikon currently Make better bodies.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Its obvious.

Canon makes better lenses but Nikon currently Make better bodies.

Hmmm, I don't know, I kind of like the Canon bodies better.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
Really difficult question and I think only people who have dealt with both, could say something. The more models from both sides someone had to do with, the more one can say.
Looking at those pictures only, I'd say Canon has better bodies, but it's really subjective to personal preferences, I suppose :)

I voted Canon, both :)

(sources: http://jaylatestperformance.blogspot.com/2011/09/jazz-band-nikon-event-5-piece-band-kl.html and http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/mm9346IaAxj/Maria+Sharapova+Unveils+Canon+PowerShot+Diamond/08Oq-cYUpwY)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:32:37 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
Looks like Nikon might have more bodies. Canon seems to prefer European bodies, while Nikon appears to have a preference for Asian. The differences are really pretty marginal and you can get great results with any one or more of them.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
Looks like Nikon might have more bodies. Canon seems to prefer European bodies, while Nikon appears to have a preference for Asian. The differences are really pretty marginal and you can get great results with any one or more of them.

Man! Number is not the point.  I need only one.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

I'll have to see what Roger at the rental house has to say about these models. His opinion carries a lot of weight.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

brad-man

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to need quite a bit more field testing with bodies from both sides before I can decide...

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
And regarding lenses I suppose you all prefer small apertures and like to shoot wide open?
BTW I like Canon's Shar(a)p prime :)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »

wow...this is funny...LOL...you do notice the highlights are much better with the canon's...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »
Hmmm  A bit too much ETTR on those Canon bodies, they're clipping a little.
The Nikon bodies are looking like they're making full use of their DR altho still a bit underexposed for my preferences.

Really difficult question and I think only people who have dealt with both, could say something. The more models from both sides someone had to do with, the more one can say.
Looking at those pictures only, I'd say Canon has better bodies, but it's really subjective to personal preferences, I suppose :)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Hmmm  A bit too much ETTR on those Canon bodies, they're clipping a little.
The Nikon bodies are looking like they're making full use of their DR altho still a bit underexposed for my preferences.

I think that many find those bodies not properly exposed...

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »
I think they're pretty evenly matched. Nikon has some lenses which don't exist with canon, and vice versa. Some of each are world class lenses. They're bodies (each company) I think appeal to slightly different people, one looking a little more sleek and one more industrial to my eye (canon is the more sleek to me). And their bodies work slightly differently, as in the menu's and buttons etc.

I don't personally care for nikon vs canon. Both have plusses and minus's depending what your comparing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »

SiliconVoid

• Canon AE-1
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
Ambiguous inquiry in regard to the bodies..

What is the criteria of measurement?? Build? - Ergonomics? - Features? - Sensor design and performance..?

In general I think many people have been conditioned by the media and fanboy websites to think that Canon bodies are not as weather sealed and robust as Nikon bodies, often spreading inaccuracies about models like the 5DmkII such as stating it does not have any weather sealing - which is a load of crap.

When people say that Canon bodies, like the 5DmkII, 5DmkIII and 7D, feel like plastic they are actually referring to the smooth texture of its finish - not the physical build - although few reviewers actually clarify that. As if to assert everyone evaluates build quality by the texture of the paint/finish.... O.o

It is true in many Canon bodies they have designed fewer seals than Nikon bodies, but again few people explain why. In many of Canon's higher-end bodies they implement overlapping seams (like siding is on your house) and therefore do not need the same seals that Nikon uses with butted seams. Canon places seals and o-rings at button points, hotshoe, lcd panels, etc - all those places that one would anticipate seepage.

As for features.. both are equally featured at their price points and equipment tier..

In the area of ergonomics (the ease at which one can control the camera functions) -  Canon, hands down. You can access more settings on their higher-end bodies with one hand than you can on any Nikon body, no comparison, period.

Sensor design is the only real difference, and that simply comes down to the different approaches used by each manufacturer. Nikon preferring to have noise be more even, like cheap film and bad exposure produces, versus Canon trying to get rid of it completely, even at the expense of detail loss. Which is the better approach is up to the user - there is no one, right, way. With Canon once you turn off noise reduction you have an easily identifiable noise pattern to process in post, where Nikon has a more uniform noise pattern but is always there no matter what processing you apply. If your output is digital downsamples, or print, then the slight detail loss and splotchy noise pattern of Canon is just not noticeable. If your intended output is crops from full resolution capture, then the granular appearance of Nikon's processing may be preferable.

All in all, I would have to rate Canon as having the better bodies when comparing all aspects, not just porous soft rubber wrappings...

BTW.. Without enabling any type of highlight preservation or in-camera DR features, many of Canon's bodies have greater base dynamic range than Nikon. You can check many different sites around the net - try DPReview for example, where they evaluate/grade the entire operation range of the camera instead of one highest possible single ISO setting performance of a camera like DxO does. Once you do enable DR and exposure preservation features in the cameras the only real difference you see is the manufacturers preference - Nikon increases preservation of shadow detail more than highlights, Canon increases preservation of highlights more than shadows. Again, which is 'better' depends on the photographer. Me personally, when a scene captures my eye and makes me reach for my camera it is specifically the interaction of light and shadow that made it appealing. I am not concerned with nor desire to process out all the shadows, that would completely ruin the imagery of the scene/subject. If I am concerned about anything it is highlights being blown out when wanting to maintain shadows being shadows.. I mean I want the shadows to be just that, shadows. If I could not make out what was in the shadows at the moment of capture, I have no concern with seeing it in the image.

No comparison in lenses. Canon offers a greater selection in their 'pro' lenses than Nikon. Canon offers users the ability to get into pro glass without having to buy the ONLY and most expensive lenses they make like Nikon does. For example (and there are many) the venerable 70-200mm lens you will likely find in any pro's bag, and one most everyone else wants at some point, Canon provides four options from ~$600 to ~$2400, all exceptional optic quality - Nikon has ONE and fork over ~$2400 for it or do not even think about a 70-200m..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:58:05 PM by SiliconVoid »
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

weixing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »
Hi,
    IMHO, I don't know which brand had better body or better lens... I don't own or use a NiKon DSLR body or lens for an extended period of time, so I can't comment.

But as a consumer, I can said that Canon had more choice and product are "more friendly" to people who had not much "resources"($$$).

Also, Canon model numbering are more systematic and easily understand... smaller number are higher end product and will always perform better than their current lower end model. I don't really understand the Nikon model number system and I can't really understand why some Nikon body require the battery grip to achieve higher frame rate.

I heard many Canon user complain that Nikon sensor are better... May be current Nikon sensor is a bit better, but I can said that your image processing skill must be at a certain level to really take advantage of that a bit of image superiority and is irrelevant to most average user... at least to me. Oh... just for record, if you shoot photo which lens cap on, you can identify which RAW image is taken by Nikon and Canon by looking at the data.

Anyway, IMHO, you won't go wrong with either of them... both brand are just as good... both had their advantage and disadvantage. In the end, it's all about personal preference and choices... unless you are a technology hobbyist. Anyway, if you got the $$$, get both...  :P

Just my $0.02 and have a nice day.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:11:55 PM by weixing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »