August 27, 2014, 08:58:31 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]  (Read 35680 times)

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
Just take the same 5D2 body (with updated mode dial and power switch), drop in the 19 pt AF from the 7D, update the firmware for RT flashes, GPS and etc, digic 5+ processor, new higher res LCD.   New or existing 5DII processor is fine if that what it takes to be positioned in the line up.  Price it at $2,000 (+/- a couple) and I'm in.  To me this seems like a cost effective approach for Canon to build--no major retooling. 

No I don't want any gimmicks like the touch or swivel screen.   Basically I want a 5D II with the 7D's AF.

I'll accept the touch screen as a gimmick, as of now. But the swivel is invaluable in some situations where an angle can't be met with your face to the camera. Obviously, videographers with small setups have a huge advantage due to the swivel screen. I mean, why buy a bigger screen that you still have to connect with a cable when you can get one for free AND built-in to the camera? Appeal is relative I suppose, but Canon isn't going to make a camera for just one person to use.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
Basically I want a 5D II with the 7D's AF.

It's called 5d3, well, ok it has 1dx's af but this is just for economical reasons to produce the af unit in quantities, with a 7d-af type it wouldn't be any cheaper. The 5d3 really is the camera people asked for, the problem is that they should have sold it at $2500 and not $3500.

announced Nikon D600 which is rumoured to be at a price point of around $1500.

I don't think so - a really usable Nikon ff that is able to compete with pro bodies like the older d700 will be around $2000, too. But Nikon marketing sure has a great time scaring Canon :-)

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
Basically I want a 5D II with the 7D's AF.

It's called 5d3, well, ok it has 1dx's af but this is just for economical reasons to produce the af unit in quantities, with a 7d-af type it wouldn't be any cheaper. The 5d3 really is the camera people asked for, the problem is that they should have sold it at $2500 and not $3500.

Yip and I would love a 5D3.   Having a real tuff time with the price like so many others. I feel there will be a segment of the market ignored if this new FF is spec'd and marketed more towards the consumer crowd. 

Hopefully we will know a lot more soon. 

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
Hopefully we will know a lot more soon.

Same with me and the 5d3 price tag - and we'll both know sooner or later how much suffering and saving money it takes to buy it anyway eventually after the "entry-level ff" specs show that it's a consumer-oriented camera with lots of features cut.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Flip flash like xxD and 7D?  Or does this FF prevent flip flash like others?  :(

No, pop up flashes do work just fine for commander mode and fill flash - just use the D800 for a few minutes and you'll see how.  However if you are a tilt shift user, the flash has caused quite a bit of confusion among D800 users.  Because it hangs out so far, it does inhibit the shift knobs (unless you have the factory refurb to put tilt and shift in the same plane) and shift up movement.  Some control like Nikon does is way better than no control of remote flashes like Canon (with using a flash in the shoe or a flash commander in the shoe).

Just FYI.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
Flip flash like xxD and 7D?  Or does this FF prevent flip flash like others?  :(
No, pop up flashes do work just fine for commander mode and fill flash

Often the pop-up flash is even better than a full flash on hotshoe because the optical axis is nearer the lens axis and unless you produce red eyes the drop shadow is smaller.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
1. It's sad to see that many people are ready to settle for the 5D Mark II sensor, which is around 4 years old...
2. It's a lot more sad to see that not so many people are sick of Canon using the same/similar sensors for all cameras and their 'mix & match' strategy.

I don't know about the numbering myths, such as even & odd numbers in high-end product names but, if the rumored 6D - or whatever - is real, I'm sure even Canon isn't stupid enough to release it with 5D Mark II's sensor, which is totally NOT fine!

If 5d Mark III is really worth $3500, then the D800 is definitely worth more that $3000. So it's pretty clear to me that with lower profit margin, Nikon is trying to win back some market share and in the light of this, I see no reason for the rumored D600 to cost more than $2000. Will/Can Canon position the rumored 6D at around $2000? I doubt that...

If Canon don't radically change their strategies pretty soon, I believe we won't see any products to excite the masses like the 5D Mark II did. It'll always be customers on both sides of the satisfaction line and that will only help Nikon gain market share - which I don't care a bit but Canon should.

I don't get it. So it makes you "sad" that people like me are quite content with their 5DII. But also makes you "sad" that some people want something different. So what is it now?

And here's the thing. The "old" sensor is still professional grade and delivers. Sure, we all want to see improvements at some point, but we are reaching a point where (thank heavens!) the digital market is maturing a bit. Consumers are more than happy. Prosumers should be happy. Pros use whatever is available anyway and make it work. Maybe we're coming back to a point where 4-year old camera isn't considered ancient. Which would increase perhaps the demand for better build quality instead of esoteric megapixel and technology terms and adding useless features.

Sure, I also get that the two big and few small camera manufacturers are in the camera selling business. Like they have been over the last several decades. Business models shift and they've done a pretty good job with survival (other not so much) and actually turning a profit with proactive marketing and development strategies.

Let's cut them some slack here. We should all be grateful that especially Canon is still keeping up a business model that makes money by selling to consumers and P&S moms & dads - while maintaining a full and extensive pro line that isn't really much of a moneymaker but really just there to carry the image of the brand = with a few lucky exception like the 5DII for example that sold to pros and consumers alike. Why not milk that a bit more by shifting that technology out to people who so far couldn't or wouldn't afford it? I know quite a few people who would be more than happy to have a 5DII sensor in their cameras. We all have out preferences and I could easily dream up my preferred DSLR - which other than me maybe 5 people in the world would be interested in (think FD manual lens F1n style body with a 5D-type sensor...).

In real life and in the hands of a good photographer I challenge you to tell if an image was shot with a 5DII, 5DIII, 1DsIII, 1DX or 800E.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 03:43:09 PM »
1. It's sad to see that many people are ready to settle for the 5D Mark II sensor, which is around 4 years old...
2. It's a lot more sad to see that not so many people are sick of Canon using the same/similar sensors for all cameras and their 'mix & match' strategy.

I don't know about the numbering myths, such as even & odd numbers in high-end product names but, if the rumored 6D - or whatever - is real, I'm sure even Canon isn't stupid enough to release it with 5D Mark II's sensor, which is totally NOT fine!

If 5d Mark III is really worth $3500, then the D800 is definitely worth more that $3000. So it's pretty clear to me that with lower profit margin, Nikon is trying to win back some market share and in the light of this, I see no reason for the rumored D600 to cost more than $2000. Will/Can Canon position the rumored 6D at around $2000? I doubt that...

If Canon don't radically change their strategies pretty soon, I believe we won't see any products to excite the masses like the 5D Mark II did. It'll always be customers on both sides of the satisfaction line and that will only help Nikon gain market share - which I don't care a bit but Canon should.

I don't get it. So it makes you "sad" that people like me are quite content with their 5DII. But also makes you "sad" that some people want something different. So what is it now?

And here's the thing. The "old" sensor is still professional grade and delivers. Sure, we all want to see improvements at some point, but we are reaching a point where (thank heavens!) the digital market is maturing a bit. Consumers are more than happy. Prosumers should be happy. Pros use whatever is available anyway and make it work. Maybe we're coming back to a point where 4-year old camera isn't considered ancient. Which would increase perhaps the demand for better build quality instead of esoteric megapixel and technology terms and adding useless features.

Sure, I also get that the two big and few small camera manufacturers are in the camera selling business. Like they have been over the last several decades. Business models shift and they've done a pretty good job with survival (other not so much) and actually turning a profit with proactive marketing and development strategies.

Let's cut them some slack here. We should all be grateful that especially Canon is still keeping up a business model that makes money by selling to consumers and P&S moms & dads - while maintaining a full and extensive pro line that isn't really much of a moneymaker but really just there to carry the image of the brand = with a few lucky exception like the 5DII for example that sold to pros and consumers alike. Why not milk that a bit more by shifting that technology out to people who so far couldn't or wouldn't afford it? I know quite a few people who would be more than happy to have a 5DII sensor in their cameras. We all have out preferences and I could easily dream up my preferred DSLR - which other than me maybe 5 people in the world would be interested in (think FD manual lens F1n style body with a 5D-type sensor...).

In real life and in the hands of a good photographer I challenge you to tell if an image was shot with a 5DII, 5DIII, 1DsIII, 1DX or 800E.

*LIKE for this post
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Tayvin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Tayvin Knight Photo
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
So it's a 5D II with a 7D AF system and my large nose is going to be hitting the touchscreen all the time?  I don't believe this rumor.

crasher8

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »
If it has a touchscreen it must have a proximity sensor to deactivate it ala the iPhone.

EvillEmperor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
I really dont understand this. The 5d MK IIs only disadvantage is the AF and drive speed, they both work hand in hand. You can get a 5D MK III for $3000 if you look around carefully.
Canon 5D MK III, Canon T2i, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, Canon 24-105, Canon 100 macro, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 28-135mm (sold)

mitch.o

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
I don´t want or need a 6D. Not very interesting for me.
Says the guy with every canon body on the market. What about for us that just have an old t2i and want to break into the ff game?

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »
I don´t want or need a 6D. Not very interesting for me.
Says the guy with every canon body on the market. What about for us that just have an old t2i and want to break into the ff game?

+1.  Not everybody can afford the current Canon FF.  Not everybody is also a professional photographer who can spend more because it's his livelihood.  I'm still an amateur photographer.  If someone can sponsor me then it's ok but if not, I really hope they can lower the cost of producing one.

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »

Maybe you should go back and read my post again, and of course the previous posts.

1. I'm not sad that people are content with their 5D Mark II's. Read again!
2. How'd you come up with the part the people wanting something different makes me sad?

One couldn't get my post more wrong! I wonder how you managed that...

It's very funny that you suggest, we should be "grateful" to a corporate company, cut them some slack and stuff like that. Are you a baseball coach or something?

I'm paying a premium for a Canon or Nikon product and I should be grateful? WTF???

And oh yeah, I can very well tell if an image was shot with a 5DII, 1DsIII, or 800E. I don't expect you to do it, because you think 5DII's sensor is still professional grade and you are grateful for it!
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

scokar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2012, 03:41:40 AM »

[...]
And here's the thing. The "old" sensor is still professional grade and delivers.
[...]

The "old" sensor is fine if no one else worked on sensor technology in the past 3+ years.
Seeing as they have,  I would like my current vendor of choice to also strive to improve their offerings.