April 23, 2014, 04:44:19 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]  (Read 33443 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
I still see Canon's path as pretty obvious and easy.

I'm bookmarking this so I can quote you in 2013 :-)

Please do. I'm, offering a money-back guarantee if I'm wrong.

Nicely fills out the line, giving consumers and pros more choices and helps transition buyer to two bodies each.

But why would Canon want to split the former two bodies (40d/5d) into *five* different ones (70d/7d2/6d/5d3/5dhd)? Sure this gives people more choices, but Canon is about making money and this variety also creates confusion and more support and manufacturing costs.

Imho if they expand the ff line they'll drop one of the crop cameras, i.e. no 7d2 but a bumped up 70d. And your "5d hd" might be very well an expensive "1d hd" at first because the people really wanting a $3000 36mp sensor have switched to Nikon by now.

I'm sure every manufacturer would produce just one model of anything if they could be confident it would sell and if they had no competition. But, they do have competition and if Canon doesn't meet the market demand, others will.

It is clear from the Rebel line that using modern manufacturing techniques, it's possible to offer minor differentiation and still keep the line profitable.

Consumers like choices. Ever go shopping for a TV, a car or even laundry detergent? I don't know about others, but if I'm spending $1,000 or more on a product I'm going to make sure I've compared every available model and picked the one that I think will work for me. If one manufacturer doesn't offer any choice, I'll go to the one that does offer some choice.

If having three (maybe four) full frame options and five or so APS-C options is beyond someone's brainpower, they probably aren't shopping for a DSLR anyway.

We've been through this discussion before on numerous threads. Both the 60D and the 7D have been great sellers for Canon. A full frame equivalent of the 60/70D is more of a threat to the 5DIII than to the next generation of the 7D.

7D owners have a high level of satisfaction and are fiercely loyal to the camera. Having just developed that market, it's unlikely that Canon is going to abandon it now.

A 6D is never going to satisfy most 7D owners, who want the extra reach , build quality and professional features that the 7D offers. And, despite the fantasizing that is going on, both the 6D and the D600 are going to be positioned well below the D800 and the 5DIII.

I'm the least confident in the high-megapixel camera. Not sure what the market is for that. But, I assume Nikon did some market research and they seem to be selling, so I imagine Canon is not going to concede that customer base and if they can slide a high megapixel sensor into the existing 5DIII body without major modifications, it's a financial winner for them.

All fun to speculate about. Good news is that after this week we'll know what Nikon is offering and that will give us a very good idea what the 6D will be like.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »

kaihp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 10:54:42 PM »
I'm sure every manufacturer would produce just one model of anything if they could be confident it would sell and if they had no competition. But, they do have competition and if Canon doesn't meet the market demand, others will.

It is clear from the Rebel line that using modern manufacturing techniques, it's possible to offer minor differentiation and still keep the line profitable.

Consumers like choices. Ever go shopping for a TV, a car or even laundry detergent? I don't know about others, but if I'm spending $1,000 or more on a product I'm going to make sure I've compared every available model and picked the one that I think will work for me. If one manufacturer doesn't offer any choice, I'll go to the one that does offer some choice.
You may think so, but there is a lot of people that don't think that way. Consumers don't necessarily want many choices and  many features. They just want a product that works well for them, and is well thought out and well designed - Apple's strategy is the current prime example of this.

Hmm ... can't imagine that I just wrote that, considering how anti-Apple I generally am :)

mystic_theory

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »
If you take different parts of old people and stitch them together, do you get a young person?

So, I guess that Canon is planning to put out a "new" product which is simply a Frankenstein of outdated products.

No you wont get young person :-D

...hmm, according to you, 550D should have different AF then 500D, 600D should have new sensor and new AF (because it is new generation of camera, doesnt matter that life cycle is +- one year), 60 D with new AF and different sensor too. Of course they reuse parts. They reuse them to make stuff cheaper. What do you think how many would Rebel cost if every next gen would get entirely new sensor, AF etc ? R&D costs of new sensor are big. And its not all about sensor, processors counts too...

I agree that they have to reuse parts to make cameras cheaper, but if they do that for three years and more, that's way overdone. As somebody has said, the only reason to stay with Canon is that the quality of their lenses is still superior, on average, to that of the competitors. Moreover the fact that Canon has sold the most of all makes the used market quite liquid, and the stuff cheaper. But if it was just for the camera bodies, I would jump immediately from Canon to Nikon/Sony/Pentax. Their cameras at the moment are way superior.

Twostones

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 04:46:04 AM »
   I would love an affordable Full Frame Canon but the touch screen would be a negative value for me. Make the controls like my 7D and I would buy one if the price is reasonable. The touch screens added cost could also raise the price beyond a good market target.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 04:53:34 AM »
Canon is too conservative recently, they are the last one step into mirrorless camera, see what they come up with.

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
I hate these threads... Everyone expects a 5D3 with a different name for half the price. Most of the time you get what you pay for. I'm sure if Canon did offer something like this, there would be so many complaints about purposely handicapping the camera with no this or that.

bbasiaga

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
I hate these threads... Everyone expects a 5D3 with a different name for half the price. Most of the time you get what you pay for. I'm sure if Canon did offer something like this, there would be so many complaints about purposely handicapping the camera with no this or that.

One thing is for sure with this camera - regardless of how good it actually may be, it will be FLAMED to no end. 

-Brian 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

One thing is for sure with this camera - regardless of how good it actually may be, it will be FLAMED to no end. 

-Brian

So true...so very very true. Welcome to Canon Rumors Forum. :)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

joemod

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
What would sell?  IMO, Take the 7D body and slap a FF sensor in it and either stay with the Dual Digic 4 or use the 5 or 5+ while keeping everything else the same.  Call it the 7Ds (just like the 1Ds is the FF version of the 1D) and slap a $500 premium for the FF which will put it smack in the $1500-2000 vacant price point between the 7D and the 5D3 where the 5D2 is going extinct.  I think people would buy a FF body capable of 6-8fps.  Forget new vs old technology, what product is missing from their lines?  A poor man's 1Dx.

I'd buy that in an instant and so would a ton of other people. And that would be the problem for Canon:  the market for the 5D3 would shrink substantially.
I don't think so. Most pros who wanted/needed 5DIII must have bought it already. I am making a wild guess that those who haven't bought it already are waiting for the price to drop or can't justify buying it or are in waiting list. I belong in the first 2 categories. I really wonder how many bodies Canon has sold up to now.

dhofmann

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I'm sure every manufacturer would produce just one model of anything if they could be confident it would sell and if they had no competition.

No, they would always be looking for ways to lower manufacturing costs that would allow them to keep the price the same or higher, in order to maximize their profits.
t2i

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2012, 05:32:32 AM »
I hate these threads... Everyone expects a 5D3 with a different name for half the price.

Not true - I'd be ok with an updated 5d2 with 5d3 sensor (which is basically the same anyway) with 7d-style af. It could have less fps than 5d3, less sturdy build (I've got a 60d after all and it didn't fall to pieces yet), amateurish look (touchscreen, sviwelscreen), one sd card slot, no quiet shutter, only one c setting.

What I wouldn't be happy with is Canon crippling the body on purpose like the 60d by removing afma, cutting x-sync to 1/125 sec and cutting the firmware features beyond that what is even available on the 60d.

samirachiko

« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2012, 06:20:13 AM »
I really don't understand people who say "I hate the articulated screen" ecc

I think that it is VERY VERY useful in photography and also taking video!

Ok, don't you like it?? SIMPLE don't move it! How is the problem??? Someone says "it is easy to break it"....... -_-!  if you use your things like a toy you could break everything!...

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

Usefulness has nothing to do with it, it's just that "pro" bodies like the 5d/1d don't have it, the 7d probably not because it was released before Canon switched to swivel screens (60d/600d/650d). So people *feel* like they have a p&s or video cam, and not the sturdy marvel of engineering they have paid thousands of $$$ for. If the 1d/5d would have swivel screens and the cheaper bodies not, everyone probably would be crying for one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

Usefulness has nothing to do with it, it's just that "pro" bodies like the 5d/1d don't have it, the 7d probably not because it was released before Canon switched to swivel screens (60d/600d/650d). So people *feel* like they have a p&s or video cam, and not the sturdy marvel of engineering they have paid thousands of $$$ for. If the 1d/5d would have swivel screens and the cheaper bodies not, everyone probably would be crying for one.

+1.  That's called innovation.  The swivel screen is very useful for me especially for landscape photography where I need to keep the camera very low to the ground.  Of course, still most of the time you need your OVF but don't you like it if you have the option whenever OVF isn't that comfortable?  It's the same with AF.  Previously there's no AF in most cameras.  Now AF is one of the most important feature of modern day camera.

bbasiaga

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »
I didn't realize they switched the xxD series to SD cards.  My 40D is CF so i assumed the new ones were as well.  I hope they stick with CF cards, mainly because I don't want to have to go out and buy a second set of cards. 

Oh wait, that's not what I'm supposed to say.  Let me try again - 'if this thing comes with SD cards, it'll be the final proof that canon has lost complete touch with any sort of reality (real or imagined), and  I will instantly burn all my gear and switch to Nikon.'

There...that's more like it.  LOL

-Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »