October 26, 2014, 01:32:01 AM

Author Topic: Are Ultrabooks Fast enough?  (Read 6317 times)

ShotInTheDark

Are Ultrabooks Fast enough?
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
I'm considering getting a new laptop. 

There are these new slim Ultrabooks such as http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/ - one of the few that supports 8 GB RAM.

The question I have is how well do these CPUs cope with basic post-processing, eg DPP or LR?

Has anyone used one for this purpose?  Are they fast enough?

I know for the same price, you can get a normal size, normal spec laptop.  However the idea of carrying an Ultrabook sized laptop while loaded with all the camera gear is quite appealing.

canon rumors FORUM

Are Ultrabooks Fast enough?
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: Are Ultrabooks Fast enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »
Yeah it will cover your needs just fine but by the time you load it up it will still be expensive compared to lighter notebooks. I would hold off till October when windows 8 launches and you'll see a surge of more options. Look at the says ux31 the new one has 1080p ipS panel and costs $1k.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

ShotInTheDark

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
I've tried Windows 8, and hate it.  I will be running Windows 7 on whatever I get.  Hopefully, the Win 7 models will drop in price in October.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »
I've tried Windows 8, and hate it.  I will be running Windows 7 on whatever I get.  Hopefully, the Win 7 models will drop in price in October.
I understand but given the chance win 8 could prove to be useful with the tile apps. Eitherway all the remaining good gear is coming around then and you can always install win 7 on it.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:21:18 AM »
I'm typing this on a maxed-out MacBook Air that's computationally more than ample. The display is excellent for a laptop this small and lightweight, but it's of course nothing you'd want to use for real work. But for remote shooting or first-pass or quick-and-dirty editing? Bring it on!

Cheers,

b&

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
depends how much editing you are planning to do.  For the down and dirty quick edits probably fine, but for much else it will likely be slow running LR 4 or aperture depending on what is your flavor.  Also more ram won't necessarily make the editing software run better/faster, you're better of with a better/faster graphics card vs more ram if you want to deal with detailed editing...just my $0.02

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »
Laptops are no different from cameras in that you get what you pay for. And, more often than not, a compromise must be reached between budget, weight, portability (size) and power.

There are some great ultrabooks coming out soon, but, just as you did with your camera and lenses, you should consider how you will grow into it.

File sizes are only likely to get bigger, will you be doing more video in 1 or 2 years etc etc.

As has been already mentioned the CPU and GPU is very important when choosing a compauter especially if you are doing stuff like rendering HD video etc.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »

Hardwire

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »
depends how much editing you are planning to do.  For the down and dirty quick edits probably fine, but for much else it will likely be slow running LR 4 or aperture depending on what is your flavor.  Also more ram won't necessarily make the editing software run better/faster, you're better of with a better/faster graphics card vs more ram if you want to deal with detailed editing...just my $0.02

I am a PC guy and I have quite a beefy rig in my office for edits, but when I travel I have a Macbook Air (which is comparable to the Ultrabooks in spec etc) which I use to backup and perform on location edits just fine.
Canon 5D3 | 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II L | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 600 RT | Kenko Ext Tubes

Fotofanten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
The Asus UX31A with a 13" 1080p IPS panel should be a safe choice. A 15" is coming up soon also. With the limited storage capacity of SSD drives, you might want to consider putting aside some funding for a NAS.
Flickr

6D | Samyang 14mm | 16-35 L IS | 40mm | 50L | 100L

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
I do all my post-processing with my MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, and 512gb SSD.  It's super fast for anything that I throw at it.  The key is getting at least 8gb RAM and the SSD.  The SSD makes a world of difference.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
I do all my post-processing with my MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, and 512gb SSD.  It's super fast for anything that I throw at it.  The key is getting at least 8gb RAM and the SSD.  The SSD makes a world of difference.

I am sure your Mac runs great but I find on all these forums everyone immediately goes the Mac Route. I think ultrabooks like the Asus UX31A with it's 1080p ips antiglare screen prove that windows still has it's place. Also a lot of people who post these are looking at cost and I am sorry but you can get way more for your money on the windows side of the fence plus a much larger selection. Blu-ray Drives are another plus in laptops/desktops that are not on the Mac Camp. Don't get me wrong I have IPADS,IPHONES but when it comes to computers in general I find Windows allows me to do more frequent hardware refreshes and it's cheaper.

Setazo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »

Chewy734, what file sizes do you throw at your machine? And which PP app do you use?
I'm considering going the MacBook pro route, so I'm curious about what it can handle...

Hardwire

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

I am sure your Mac runs great but I find on all these forums everyone immediately goes the Mac Route. I think ultrabooks like the Asus UX31A with it's 1080p ips antiglare screen prove that windows still has it's place. Also a lot of people who post these are looking at cost and I am sorry but you can get way more for your money on the windows side of the fence plus a much larger selection. Blu-ray Drives are another plus in laptops/desktops that are not on the Mac Camp. Don't get me wrong I have IPADS,IPHONES but when it comes to computers in general I find Windows allows me to do more frequent hardware refreshes and it's cheaper.

As much as you say that, I only have the one Mac and that is my Air...asides from that I am windows on everything else. I recently (ie in the past week) picked up a Dell Ultrabook so will be installing my usual software on that to see how it performs....but there is part of me that like the fact I keep the Mac for travel use only (as it collects dust the rest of the time) and it forms part of my travel work flow.
Canon 5D3 | 24-70mm f/2.8 mk II L | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 600 RT | Kenko Ext Tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
I'm considering getting a new laptop. 

There are these new slim Ultrabooks such as http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/ - one of the few that supports 8 GB RAM.

The question I have is how well do these CPUs cope with basic post-processing, eg DPP or LR?

Has anyone used one for this purpose?  Are they fast enough?

I know for the same price, you can get a normal size, normal spec laptop.  However the idea of carrying an Ultrabook sized laptop while loaded with all the camera gear is quite appealing.
Far more than fast enough.  I have a older X200S and it runs photoshop and lightroom at full speed.
As long as it has the i7 processor and runs windows 7 or later, and has a 1024 X 768 or larger display, it will work.
Lenovo is the class act of windows based laptops.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
I was strongly considering the ASUS  Zenbook UX32VD but I think it only has one memory slot that can hold an 8GB stick for a max of 10GB in the machine. I think the mobo has 2GB of RAM. It is also only a dual core, things like rendering previews and exporting will benefit from more cores in LR.
OTOH, the screen is awesome at 13.3 (1920x1080) and IPS - that is crazy!
If money were no object, I would have one these and a faster laptop for heavy lifting --- meanwhile reality just called and said "money is an object" :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »