July 28, 2014, 07:47:29 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern Firmware - Good or Bad?  (Read 13542 times)

JumboShrimp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Magic Lantern Firmware - Good or Bad?
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
The new issue of Pop Photo (Oct 2012, top of p.98, "Don't Go There") highly discourages owners from installing third-party firmware modifications. I have just become aware of Magic Lantern's add-on firmware and wonder if anyone has any feedback on camera damage, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

Magic Lantern Firmware - Good or Bad?
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »

JumboShrimp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern Firmware - Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
After a bit of research, I just answered my own question. The answer is, yes, there is a strong possibility that it will damage your camera. Those interested, visit ML's own website, where you will find an over-abundance of issues and problems with the firmware mod.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »
Sounds to me like someone who is trying to sabotage a damn near perfect reputation of magic lantern. Seems a bit like a troll to me
iPhone 4s camera

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Sounds to me like someone who is trying to sabotage a damn near perfect reputation of magic lantern. Seems a bit like a troll to me

Agreed. Especially by now, unless you're living on the bleeding edge, should be just fine.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »
Probably some Nikon user or 7D user who can't use ML.  :)

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19:11 AM »
Can't you (or a Canon service center) reinstall the original software/firmware if something goes wrong?

Sure, there's always a risk with 3rd party software, but there are also rewards. You do the research and weigh the pros and cons. Anyone who says all 3rd party software is bad is making uneducated assumptions.

c3hammer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
After a bit of research, I just answered my own question. The answer is, yes, there is a strong possibility that it will damage your camera. Those interested, visit ML's own website, where you will find an over-abundance of issues and problems with the firmware mod.
Well that is a bunch of nonsense.  I've been using Magic Lantern for over a year and a half and it's a major wonder why Canon just doesn't put these features in them selves.

You can't point to a single camera that can be documented to have been damaged by the software.

The list of incredibly useful features it brings is so extensive that it's impractical to list them all here.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki
http://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?248171-Magic-Lantern-Firmware

Don't know where you're getting your information, but it's completely false.

Cheers,
Pete
http://vimeo.com/petecarney
http://www.youtube.com/user/c3hammer
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:31:44 AM by c3hammer »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »

Matthew19

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:07 AM »
plenty of pro video dslr users out there shooting with ML.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »
The new issue of Pop Photo (Oct 2012, top of p.98, "Don't Go There") highly discourages owners from installing third-party firmware modifications.

Don't know the article, but the conclusion is plain nonsense. The latest, stable version of Magic Lantern is as likely to brick your camera as it is being damaged by a satellite falling of the sky and hitting it. Btw you can uninstall it anytime and even if not Canon service never refuses a warranty due to the boot flag set, they acknowledged the right of users to extend their camera.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »
ML team warnes using their software as this is a usual practice. I'm a big fan of Magic Lantern and if you want to be the one as well, you should accept it's limitations, no warranty and no responsibility for it's use. Current version is stable although it can hang on anyway. You are warned, that in the case the camera stops to respond, you should remove the battery immadietaly. This is the only case I see, that something wrong could happen if it's in LV mode - sensor may be active, may heat up but nothing would prevent it from overhitting. I haven't broken my camera, neither have heard, that anybody did although s..t happens.
Maybe this add on software is simply just not for you?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Nick Cp

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:10:47 AM »
Ive used ML on 2 cameras and never had an issue. It provides so many helpful features, if you serous about it, its definitely worth the risk.

albelphotography

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:48 AM »
I am loving it

gkaefer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »

even for a forum dealing with rumors this is so what of nonsense...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
Can't you (or a Canon service center) reinstall the original software/firmware if something goes wrong?

It doesn't replace the Canon firmware. It runs alongside side it off of the CF card. It doesn't install anything "into" your camera, so shouldn't be a problem.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
Agreed. Especially by now, unless you're living on the bleeding edge, should be just fine.

Speaking of bleeding edge: ml alpha for 5d3 is out :-) ... but this is the kind that can brick your camera, unlike the very stable release versions. Still: "Good news, everyone!" ... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »