Rumors > Lenses

What is your experience or practice regarding professional lense cleaning?

(1/2) > >>

fotoray:
Do you periodically have your lenses professionally cleaned?  How often?  By Canon, or ?   What was approximate cost per lens?  Do zooms cost more than primes?

awinphoto:
Currently I use Canon through my CPS membership.  Depending on your membership level you can get a few free cleanings every year.  Before I was using CPS, i used a local small camera shop.  The bigger shops offered the cleanings but had a week turnaround, however the smaller shops who are starving for business had quicker, more detailed, and more in depth cleanings than perhaps even canon's cleanings in my opinion. 

I think I paid around $30 for a cleaning with the smaller shops where the bigger shops charged a tad more and longer turnarounds.  If you have some small mom and pop shops, that's where I would start.  You dont have to mail the lenses, they take pride in their work, and probably are quicker than the bigger camera stores. 

motorhead:
I must admit that having someone else clean a lens of mine is not something I'll ever consider. Its hardly difficult or even time consuming.

awinphoto:
I have no problems cleaning my front element and rear element, however lenses inside the lens, the casing, the interior electronics where dust and grime could seep into... Especially when you get into the more expensive L lenses or higher priced regular lenses, it's always better to have someone else take care of the deep cleaning who carries the liability of the lens, if anything happens god forbid and you're cleaning it, your out the cost for the repair.  If you send it to canon or a store or whatever and something happens, they are on the hook for it.  Especially when cleaning a sensor or such. 

epsiloneri:

--- Quote from: motorhead on April 29, 2011, 01:23:56 PM ---I must admit that having someone else clean a lens of mine is not something I'll ever consider. Its hardly difficult or even time consuming.

--- End quote ---

Surely you mean cleaning the exterior of a lens? I'd be very interested to learn some things from you if you actually disassemble the lenses and clean the interior yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version