September 20, 2014, 10:09:57 PM

Author Topic: Is a 46mp Canon EOS-1 on the Way? [CR1]  (Read 19292 times)

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: Is a 46mp Canon EOS-1 on the Way? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »
I do not believe it is doable, not at the D800 price point, and not without a new sensor. And Canon is not losing sleep over losing customers to Nikon over the D800.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
An EOS-1?  When are they going to stop building these bodies with the grip permanently built-in?

Never, I hope. 

Put a removable grip on a body. Hold the body in one hand, the grip in the other. Move your hands. Feel the flex?  Now...put an AS-type plate or L-bracket  on the bottom of the grip, mount it on a solid tripod. That flex translates to vibration, and vibration costs sharpness.  Oh, just remove the grip? Very inconvenient, for me.

Love the integrated grip of the digital 1-series bodies!

Agreed. My biggest and possibly only complaint with battery grips is the flex that exists between the body and grip when doing tripod work.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
In my opinion, if Canon does not launch an cheaper model around 2500-3000€ with 35+MP, they will loose a lot of photographers.

Are they 'losing a lot of photographers' to the D800 now?   ::)

Yes

P
Can you please post a link to the sales figures/reports/ranking that back up that claim?

Why? You post sales figures that they're not. That is the clear implication of your question.

Sorry, but my sentence ended in a question mark. Yours did not.  Which one is a statement?

My point is that claims of 'outselling' or 'users switching in droves' are bogus - regardless of which way people claim the advantage - AFAIK, there are no data to support either claim. Thus the  ::)

I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth, though... :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
In my opinion, if Canon does not launch an cheaper model around 2500-3000€ with 35+MP, they will loose a lot of photographers.

I'm sure there's a reasonable number of photographers who are able to recognize the image quality of D800.

Sure, and I'm among them. But I didn't switch...  Where are Nikon's versions of a high quality 80/100-400, 28-300, and anything like my MP-E 65?

The 14-24 is certainly a nice lens - but 36 MP is hard on that lens' corner performance.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

Yes

P
Can you please post a link to the sales figures/reports/ranking that back up that claim?

Why? You post sales figures that they're not. That is the clear implication of your question.

The burden of proof is on the claimant.

Unless you're just talking out of your rear lens cap, which I suspect is the case.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

I'm sure there's a reasonable number of photographers who are able to recognize the image quality of D800.

Sure, and I'm among them. But I didn't switch...  Where are Nikon's versions of a high quality 80/100-400, 28-300, and anything like my MP-E 65?

The 14-24 is certainly a nice lens - but 36 MP is hard on that lens' corner performance.

Just put my new 14-24mm on the d800 this weekend for a few test shots in the countryside.
Certainly does have some CA in the borders and corners but that cleans up pretty well with one click on the checkbox in Photoshop's ACR front end.
That lens is pretty good, tho not perfect.  14mm made for some pretty wide pastoral scenes tho.  Looking forward to what else I can do with it.

as for Canon losing customers...
They didn't get any money from me this year.  Instead I bought 4 Nikon bodies, included the 800 and the 800e, a few new high end lenses and a pile of cheaper ones.

IF Canon had just ONE FF body with as good base ISO noise performance as any of the current Nikons I would have bought it, maybe even two of them.
As it stands, more of my creative and outdoor work is going to the other camp but I wish it weren't, as I still prefer many things about using Canon gear; the appearance of the images their bodies produce, many of the fine lenses they have.

What they announce in the next few months, whether delivery is soon or in 2013, will determine what equipment will dominate my toolbox.
If they can't kill the read/banding noise even more than in the 1Dx then I'll be selling some of the Canon gear that's been outperformed by the new competition.
Invariably that means I'll be buying more from the other guys.  Plenty of enthusiasts, landscapers and other non-hi-iso types will likely consider doing the same.  We're not all married to our brand of tools and toys.

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

"Switching" is too radical a term I think...
For example, a colleague of mine decided to wait for Canon and bought nothing for the moment.
Another colleague of mine got pissed with all the drama and went MF.
I did not switch either, but I've said what the hell and got myself a D800, a 70/200 and a 60 macro. Now I don't care whether Canon or Nikon releases the camera for my taste/need 'cos I'll be investing in both systems .

The way I see it, these three example photographers are customers lost to Canon since they didn't buy Canon gear for some reason or the other.
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
There's been no evidence of a mass exodus to the dark side due to the D800, there's always far more talk of switching, than actual switching.  Going with Canon or Nikon is buying into a system, the camera body having the shortest lifespan in that system.  Lenses and accessories remain current far longer than camera bodies and generally are far more expensive to replace.  Alot of people scream they're gonna switch until they do the math, admittedly some do end up changing brands, most do not.

No different than when Nikon shooters were complaining about the how inadequate 12.1 MP was on the D700 compared to the 5DII, they were screaming mass exodus but nothing happened then either.  Wash, rinse, repeat....
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
Nikon make good cameras and lenses, Canon make good cameras and lenses however
anyone that can't take a good photo with a 5Dmk3 and thinks a D800 will help them is in for a nasty shock

blah blah 12 inches behind the camera and all that jazz
APS-H Fanboy

XanuFoto

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »
Canon and Nikon will always stay in business because they are the two biggest companies. Occasionally a few people will switch brands. That's a given. Alot of people made a huge fuss that they would switch to d800. Some did and most did not. And life goes on. Let's just make great pictures and that you can do with any decent dslr on the market at the moment.

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
An EOS-1?  When are they going to stop building these bodies with the grip permanently built-in?  I'll never, ever buy one until they go back to how the 1V was built with a high-end removable grip.

If it looks like any of the 1-series digitals, I'm not interested.

I agree 100%!! For me, a grippless camera and a prime lens makes more sense for what I do.

Gripped cameras are the Red Porsches of the camera world ;) I don't need to impress people with either the size of my lens or my camera body ;)  ;)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
An EOS-1?  When are they going to stop building these bodies with the grip permanently built-in?  I'll never, ever buy one until they go back to how the 1V was built with a high-end removable grip.

If it looks like any of the 1-series digitals, I'm not interested.

I agree 100%!! For me, a grippless camera and a prime lens makes more sense for what I do.

Gripped cameras are the Red Porsches of the camera world ;) I don't need to impress people with either the size of my lens or my camera body ;)  ;)
I'm so jumping on this wagon, bulky body is the major reason i don't want a 1Dx I would love an APS-H sensor in a 5Dmk3 body too
APS-H Fanboy

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
There's been no evidence of a mass exodus to the dark side due to the D800, there's always far more talk of switching, than actual switching.  ....

Makes one wonder whether they are in competition, or just coexistence? If it is so hard to win some sales from the other company....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
There's been no evidence of a mass exodus to the dark side due to the D800, there's always far more talk of switching, than actual switching.  ....

Makes one wonder whether they are in competition, or just coexistence? If it is so hard to win some sales from the other company....
Yes, it is hard.  Nikon had to take trade-ins of Canon Cameras and lenses a few years back in order to get a big sale with a major wire service.  Having huge numbers of dollars invested in lenses, flashes, not to mention bodies is not a trivial thing.
Of course, switching from a $150 point and shoot might not cost as much, but its still going to be painful to someone who squeezed his budget for that $150.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
....In development announcements seem to be getting more popular with Canon and their high end products. ....

Do you think that this trend to 'in development' announcements is restricted to relatively new products? Ones that won't necessarily affect sales of existing Canon products?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »