October 02, 2014, 01:13:35 AM

Author Topic: Is a 46mp Canon EOS-1 on the Way? [CR1]  (Read 19473 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Is a 46mp Canon EOS-1 on the Way? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
There is no utopia in any one set of design parameters.

Bliss will only come with the last camera ever to be made!  :P

Naaah.  Even then, people will complain.   :P :P

Hah! Yeah, your probably right. :P
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
....In development announcements seem to be getting more popular with Canon and their high end products. ....

Do you think that this trend to 'in development' announcements is restricted to relatively new products? Ones that won't necessarily affect sales of existing Canon products?
Development of the new super teles was combined with stopping production of the existing ones such that they were not generally available for well over a year.  That certainly hit Canon sales as well as their bottom line.  Same with the announcement of the 24-70mm MK II.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
Don't get too excited everyone! I heard a rumor that the sensor in the camera will be 2 of the 18mp sensors just stuck together with a bit of black tape  ;)

See now that's a funny comment... love it!

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »

i did a quick telly up of all the professional advertising photographers i know (im friends with quite a few), and i would say half have changed to or about change to nikon.

i would too, but im not a fan of nikon lenses, and am waiting eagerly for a better sensored higher res camera than my very disappointing 5dmk3.

paul

Everyone is always "about to change"...  what percentage actually did change?   Not just giving you a hard time...  it's a good point.  Advertising photographers really do have value in the higher resolution and there's a few on this forum that are also "about to change to MF if Canon doesn't put out a higher res body soon".  Their reason being that price has come down on MF digital backs to make the leap but they will stay with Canon for cost, ergonomics, lenses, etc. IF a higher res body comes out. 

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
I hope this is a medium-format camera. It's really the next step in technology with Full-Frame cameras becoming much more affordable and common.

Although I'd like to see that as well, I'm 99.9% sure it won't be a medium-format camera.  Not nearly enough market demand.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
In my opinion, if Canon does not launch an cheaper model around 2500-3000€ with 35+MP, they will loose a lot of photographers.

Are they 'losing a lot of photographers' to the D800 now?   ::)

Yes

P
Can you please post a link to the sales figures/reports/ranking that back up that claim?

Why? You post sales figures that they're not. That is the clear implication of your question.

Sorry, but my sentence ended in a question mark. Yours did not.  Which one is a statement?

My point is that claims of 'outselling' or 'users switching in droves' are bogus - regardless of which way people claim the advantage - AFAIK, there are no data to support either claim. Thus the  ::)

I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth, though... :o

i did a quick telly up of all the professional advertising photographers i know (im friends with quite a few), and i would say half have changed to or about change to nikon.

i would too, but im not a fan of nikon lenses, and am waiting eagerly for a better sensored higher res camera than my very disappointing 5dmk3.

paul

I just did a quick tally too, amongst the photogs I know 3 use Nikon, the rest, a bunch of 15 I guess use Canon. None have switched to nikon and the commercial/advertising photogs I know shoot mainly DMF. So yeah, so much for on the fly statistics.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
I'm so jumping on this wagon, bulky body is the major reason i don't want a 1Dx I would love an APS-H sensor in a 5Dmk3 body too

I think most of those whining about the flex of an add-on grip are only familiar with the current ones, which indeed have some flex, but haven't tried the one I posted.  It was quite solid - as solid as a current 1D body, I'd say.  And it wouldn't be hard at all to make it even stiffer than it was way back then.

No matter how you cut it, a removable grip will be more brittle and apt to break than the current one being a part of the frame, also it will let in moisture and dust and S___. The 1D is a stupidly solid camera and I hope they never change the way they make it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »

Nathan

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
Really hope there is some truth to this rumor.  Have been holding off purchasing a Hasselblad in the hope Canon would come out with a large MP camera.  I waited and waited for the 1DS mk III sucessor only to find it was a lower resolution 1DX - very disappointing.  Hurry up Canon - it is about time you stopped loosing business to the medium format segment of the market.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
I just did a quick tally too, amongst the photogs I know 3 use Nikon, the rest, a bunch of 15 I guess use Canon. None have switched to nikon and the commercial/advertising photogs I know shoot mainly DMF. So yeah, so much for on the fly statistics.

What is "DMF", digital medium format?

aldvan

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
I agree 100%!! For me, a grippless camera and a prime lens makes more sense for what I do.

Gripped cameras are the Red Porsches of the camera world ;) I don't need to impress people with either the size of my lens or my camera body ;)  ;)

The point, as always, is in those 'for me'...'for what I do'. For many other people gripped cameras are absolutely  'for me' and 'for what I do'. Very often people are focused on 'what they do' without considering 'what other people do'. We live in a very complex world and there are so many different 'what I do'. But the problem is that too often people seem annoyed to allow other people to have what they need for what they do, if that is different from 'what I do'. The same attitude against high megapixels... I can understand that in many fields, different from mine, high megapixels can be useless or disturbing, but 'for what I do', the amount of information in a picture is capital. I remember the recent time when 12 Mpx seemed simply an exaggeration. I'm very happy that the market offers a large range of different options different from my needs...

About red Porsches. As a serious Porsche driver, I find the example out of the target. You could better refer to the large tail on the turbos. For many people it can be just a bragging feature, but when you drive really fast the 400-500 pounds of downforce are exactly what you need purposefully...

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »

What is "DMF", digital medium format?

YES, or MFD or whatever :)

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Rumor goes at NL that this will be a 1 series body "with the emphasis on resolution, dynamic range and a true challenge to digital MF. The camera is aimed at showing 'clear technical leadership'."

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1D_Xs.html

Cheers!

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
NL also highly predicted the release of the 1Ds Mark IV in the fall of 2011.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »

paulrossjones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »

paul

Everyone is always "about to change"...  what percentage actually did change?   Not just giving you a hard time...  it's a good point.  Advertising photographers really do have value in the higher resolution and there's a few on this forum that are also "about to change to MF if Canon doesn't put out a higher res body soon".  Their reason being that price has come down on MF digital backs to make the leap but they will stay with Canon for cost, ergonomics, lenses, etc. IF a higher res body comes out.

I know eight photographers that have changed.
a couple were old nikon lovers, but many had never owned a nikon digital camera before. the couple of architecture photographers I know that own canons for the 17TE lens (which is outstanding) haven't moved because of that, but one of them has been testing the d800 and is impressed- comparing it to his aptus 75s back with both res and latitude.
These guys tend to shoot medium format with alpas, but there are plent of situations they need to shoot architecture but cant get the full authority (think china), so if they had a high MP canon with the 17te they can sneak great quality shots without looking much different than a tourist.

One guy I know who shoots a pile of very famous big billboard and displays changed from contax/phase to d800.
Hes says is more important to shoot a higher volume than have a few more megapixels. the d800 apparently has enough to retire his medium format back

thats the real reason i want more megapixels- i want all the speed of a dslr and higher iso than my contax phase p65+ so i can retire that and make my life easier. unless you are a tripod/ static shooter, medium format is a pain in the ass to use.

if you see on my site (www.paulrossjones.com), i shoot open a lot, and my clients often demand medium format files sizes, but i want to shoot the speed of a dslr.

a high MP canon would solve this for me.

paul

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
Really hope there is some truth to this rumor.  Have been holding off purchasing a Hasselblad in the hope Canon would come out with a large MP camera.  I waited and waited for the 1DS mk III sucessor only to find it was a lower resolution 1DX - very disappointing.  Hurry up Canon - it is about time you stopped loosing business to the medium format segment of the market.

It still wont rival the Hassy, which you should just buy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »