April 21, 2014, 10:00:44 AM

Author Topic: First Canon EOS C100 Short Hits the Web  (Read 11643 times)

jfretless

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: First Canon EOS C100 Short Hits the Web
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
Wow.

Internet forums will never change.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
$6K for 4:2:0. End of story.

Thanks to the Black Magic camera, and the Kineraw, I don't think we'll have to put up with Canon's sh*te much longer.

impulsekitty

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Funny not sure people know what they want anymore, BMCC comes out they have issues with it, the C300 comes out issues with it, C100 comes out they have issues with it so on so forth.  I don't think anybody will ever release a camera that one will love. I for one love the versatility of the C100, sure not the best video around but does show me the versatility over the BMCC, but then again these two are completely different beasts. I love what both offer. Filmmaking has become democratized by so many options to choose from I am happy that I have so many choices than ever before and everything else can be fixed via firmware upgrade ;D

Cannon Man

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
I couldn't finish watching the movie. Anyone else get annoyed of hearing the same "C POWER" over and over and over again. And i think i've seen enough of C flags too. Really nice image quality but what a crappy film. Whose imagination is that limited.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:59:14 PM by Cannon Man »

bp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
I would have been super impressed with this video, but frankly it needed more eyeball close-up shots.  Just a few more, and I would have been satisfied.  MORE EYEBALL CLOSE-UPS.  MORE!!!   EYEBALL.  Close-ups.

(I'd be curious to know if this footage was shot 4-2-0 internal, or 4-2-2 to an external recorder - picture quality looks rather good, despite the crap video)
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Most people who buy a C100 will NOT be doing helicopter or underwater shots. Or have access to the flight line at the Charles de Gaulle Airport. Something that is relavant to the target market would have been better. I saw nothing that showed me why a C100 is superior to the compitition, and isn't that what a demo is supposed to do??

For those that complain about 4:2:0, I have a friend who shoots a lot of Green Screen with a 4:2:0 Sony EX3. His commercial clients are happy with the results.

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
I would have been super impressed with this video, but frankly it needed more eyeball close-up shots.  Just a few more, and I would have been satisfied.  MORE EYEBALL CLOSE-UPS.  MORE!!!   EYEBALL.  Close-ups.

(I'd be curious to know if this footage was shot 4-2-0 internal, or 4-2-2 to an external recorder - picture quality looks rather good, despite the crap video)

The external is 4-2-0, otherwise they'd be chopping the legs off the c300.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure this thing will do 4:2:2 with an external recorder...
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
Thanks to the Black Magic camera....

The BMCC has it's flaws too.  The 2.3x crop is brutal, ergonomics are weird, the battery is internal and can't be removed, and shoot RAW with it and you're going to spend a fortune on SSD's, not to mention you need some serious computing power to deal with RAW.  The IQ and price are excellent, but as a whole it's pretty far from perfect.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Thanks to the Black Magic camera....

The BMCC has it's flaws too.  The 2.3x crop is brutal, ergonomics are weird, the battery is internal and can't be removed, and shoot RAW with it and you're going to spend a fortune on SSD's, not to mention you need some serious computing power to deal with RAW.  The IQ and price are excellent, but as a whole it's pretty far from perfect.

Agreed, Plus to add to that battery solutions are large and cumbersome and make the cameras ergonomics change, and storing old footage for customers using so many SSDs would mean TBs of backup space. Thats adding thousands of dollars to the costs.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

bp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
The external is 4-2-0, otherwise they'd be chopping the legs off the c300.

Then consider the legs chopped.  Unless a whole bunch of people are wrong, the HDMI out is 4:2:2. 
i.e. http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=12862
Have seen "confirmations" in a couple other places as well - but who knows...

Doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and buy this camera, but ... what I more firmly grab on to is the hope that it's a sign that perhaps Canon isn't QUITE as worried about cannibalizing itself as we all thought, and might consider opening up other doors via firmware fixes in order to deal with competition
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

christian

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
All the lame critiques of this promo are just that. . . .lame!

It's a product demo - not a narrative masterpiece. If you want that, go watch a real movie. Not a "PRODUCT DEMO!".

In those minutes I saw more about what that camera was capable of than if I'd seen some wannabe art-house director pull himself over an emotive narrative.

You guys need to get with the program and stop living up your own rear ends.

It's just a tool to make pictures - nothing more. . .

First post here and last, this community is poor.

Have fun.

bradleyg5

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
This camera is a better deal at 6800 than the black magic at 3000. Black magic is 2.5k interpolated, this is 1080P but pulled off a 4k readout. Look at the charts on EOSHD, the black magic has moire issues in fine detail and is not any sharper than a C300.

C100: removable battery, buttons, viewfinder, neutral density, sensor four times as large, XLR inputs, autofocus, smooth iris control, platform neutral workflow, much better low light, double the rated battery life

No way you are getting a Black magic running for the list price, that camera is near unusable out of the box. The fact that you have to format the SSDs with a mac filesystem basically means it would be unusable in a PC workflow.

The c100 you could actually do regular commercial work, it's ready to go out of the box.

You could actually make a living doing low budget works with a camera like the C100. The black magic is a movie camera and not much else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »
This camera is a better deal at 6800 than the black magic at 3000. Black magic is 2.5k interpolated, this is 1080P but pulled off a 4k readout. Look at the charts on EOSHD, the black magic has moire issues in fine detail and is not any sharper than a C300.

C100: removable battery, buttons, viewfinder, neutral density, sensor four times as large, XLR inputs, autofocus, smooth iris control, platform neutral workflow, much better low light, double the rated battery life

No way you are getting a Black magic running for the list price, that camera is near unusable out of the box. The fact that you have to format the SSDs with a mac filesystem basically means it would be unusable in a PC workflow.

The c100 you could actually do regular commercial work, it's ready to go out of the box.

You could actually make a living doing low budget works with a camera like the C100. The black magic is a movie camera and not much else.

Well said.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

JasonATL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »

Your statement about using it on a PC is needlessly over the top. I've been taking a serious look at the BMD Cinema Camera for a couple of weeks now. I actually pre-ordered one, but I might cancel before it ships (I figure I have a while to wait). I am in a PC-only environment, so I'm taking seriously the workflow issues when considering this camera. But, being on a PC isn't one of them. You don't need much computer know-how to be able to use a Mac formatted drive in a PC environment, especially for just retrieving footage.

Your main point - that $3000 won't give you a camera that you can take out of the box and start shooting with - is correct. But, let's add it up: Macdrive (Windows software to format a disk in Mac format) is $40 (available as a download). An SSD runs in the $200-$400 range, depending on capacity. SSD dock? Mine just arrived today (I decided I needed it to do more backups anyway): $50. Rig? Maybe. I'm looking at a simple handle so that I can hand-hold it. That's another $50 or so (you can spend more, but if you do, you should add the same to the C100). An external battery: $300. What are we up to? About $4,000 (that's overestimating). I could almost get two BMD CC's for one C100.

The points about resolution may or may not be valid. I think it remains to be seen as to which has a sharper image. The images from Mario at OneRiver are quite detailed. Should we discuss dynamic range and the power of shooting raw? I think anyone on these forums from the stills side understands the benefits of raw vs. a compressed image. If you want to shoot a quality codec where you've nailed the white balance and exposure, fine. You can and have tons of space with a codec (actually, a choice of them) that is far superior to that of the C100.

Crop factor. Yes, definitely a benefit of the C100.

I suspect that a lot of people will make a good living with the BMD CC. Same can be said of the C100. Beauty is, we both get to use our nice EF-mount glass!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »