October 25, 2014, 05:42:08 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* More Canon EOS 6D Specs Surface [CR1]  (Read 24384 times)

e_honda

Re: *UPDATE* More Canon EOS 6D Specs Surface [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
Honestly, if this supposed 6D does indeed come out and sells for under $2K, how many people on this board do you think (who haven't already bought one) would buy a 5D3?

I think there would be a substantial drop in the desire to buy one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »
prevent??? why because it will have a flip out  touch screen and facebook button? The competition is not only about the price. it's about the brand policy and strategy too. It is a shame imho that canon does not move forward with core feature like sensor. Instead of developing things that really matter they focus on gadgets and high price tags. Is it the only area they can upgrade? so far it seems true. So far, they try to put already developed things together in different products. Very economical way. Maybe next camera will be 3d with 5d3 body, 50d sensor, 5d2 AF...and 6d facebook button.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

DB

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
This spec list of a possible new 6D is simply an amalgam of OLD parts from the 5D2 (Sensor) 7D (AF) and 650D/T4i (articulated screen) and as such if true would represent an act of desperation by Canon Inc. to throw out a new model line based on existing/old technology.

Yes all manufacturers like to share components to reduce costs (e.g. Audi TT, Skodia Fabia and VW Golf all have the same chassis, but that's where it ends) just as the T2i/T3i/60D/7D all share the same 18MP sensor...

..however, to bring out a new model series (6D) with a 2008 sensor and a 2009 auto-focus & metering system, is just pure marketing at its worst. At one level, it shows clear contempt for the consumer. At another, it shows a lack of desire to develop new tech and compete directly with Sony, Nikon, Pentax etc.

e_honda

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
..however, to bring out a new model series (6D) with a 2008 sensor and a 2009 auto-focus & metering system, is just pure marketing at its worst. At one level, it shows clear contempt for the consumer. At another, it shows a lack of desire to develop new tech and compete directly with Sony, Nikon, Pentax etc.

The gist of what I'm getting from reading these forums is that what people want are the features and specs of the 5D3.  They just don't want to pay the >$3K price tag for it.

But really:  If Canon put out a 6D with the same 5D3 sensor and a slightly worse AF system/burst rate and priced it under $2K, who is going to pay the $1K+ premium for a 5D3?

DB

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
okay, but other manufacturers are releasing bodies with all new sensors coupled with new features and basic items such as dual memory card slots as standard

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »
This spec list of a possible new 6D is simply an amalgam of OLD parts from the 5D2 (Sensor) 7D (AF) and 650D/T4i (articulated screen) and as such if true would represent an act of desperation by Canon Inc. to throw out a new model line based on existing/old technology.

Yes all manufacturers like to share components to reduce costs (e.g. Audi TT, Skodia Fabia and VW Golf all have the same chassis, but that's where it ends) just as the T2i/T3i/60D/7D all share the same 18MP sensor...

I completely agree with you. It seems that they did not make a right moves and agreements in the past, like nikon did with sony. For me it is clear and it has a huge influence on their products at present which are "new" in marketing way of thinking but for real there's not much "new" in canon "new products". To be honest, I really regret that I've switched from competition.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

mitch.o

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
I'm actually excited to hear about the wireless feature. Seeing the trend in basically... everything else.... to wireless data transferring, it's about time we have it in our $2000 (I hope...) cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

AdamJ

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
I don't agree with the old-tech moaners. The target audience for this body are APS-C owners who are already invested in the wider EOS system and to whom anything Nikon does is immaterial. To those users, the 5DII's sensor would be a revelation, the 5DIII sensor more so. The 7D focusing system is good enough not to be a purchase barrier, as the 5DII's AF has been for many. And if a plastic body and an absence of non-critical features means it is within financial reach, then so be it.

On the subject of the AF system, it may well be based on the 7D's system, but I doubt it will be the 7D's actual system as that wouldn't cover a large enough area on FF. So, if it isn't the 5DII's or 5DIII's AF system, then it's going to be a new AF system, even if it's based on the 7D.

shannon76

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
I believe that Canon is on the right track if they are basically putting the 5DmkIII sensor in the 7D body and charging the difference for the new 22MP sensor and a few new features.  This would be a perfect camera for someone looking to upgrade to a FF camera for around $1800-2000.  Or someone looking to upgrade from their 5Dmkii who isn't making a fortune in photography and can't justify $3500.  I can buy a 7D now for $1200-1400 so I can't see how adding a FF sensor to an existing camera can cost that much more.  They are basically just adding a new assembly line to compile mostly existing parts.  Unless it isn't the exact same body as the 7D, but then the question would be why not?  This is suppose to be an entry level FF right?  The price shouldn't be to far off from the 7D.  I would really hope that this new camera comes in at $2000 or less.  This would be within reach for most of us folks with Rebels and 60Ds.  Please announce the official specs and price soon Canon.  I'm wearing out my keyboard going to Canonrumors.   :)

heron88

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
Just bump IQ as much as possible, give me either some type of raw video format up to 1080p60 or give me the old compressed format with at least 720p120 and I'll be happy.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
The gist of what I'm getting from reading these forums is that what people want are the features and specs of the 5D3.  They just don't want to pay the >$3K price tag for it.
But really:  If Canon put out a 6D with the same 5D3 sensor and a slightly worse AF system/burst rate and priced it under $2K, who is going to pay the $1K+ premium for a 5D3?

Right. Not much wrong with the 5D III as a product. Except ... the price. 3.5k was ludicrous all along. I still cannot see anything that would justify any premium over the Nikon D800 at all. Rather the other way round.

Same with the 6D. If it is lower specced  than the Nikon D600 its gotta be cheaper than the Nikon. If not .. I will not consider it. I may or may not switch to Nikon. But I will definitely not buy underspecced and overpriced Canon bodies. 

Zlatko

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

Yes, and this is a standard complaint heard with every new product introduction.  Some people will never be happy until Canon introduces products with absolutely premium quality and features but with incredibly low bargain prices.  They want Leica quality at Tamron prices.  They want Lexus quality at Chevy prices.  This is exemplified by people who say, in essence, "The 5D3 [in features & quality] is what the 5D2 should have been, and the 5D2 price is what the 5D3 price should have been."  Well, that's just not going to happen. 

People seem to think that features and prices are all just a clever marketing pulled out of thin air.  They forget that it actually costs a great deal to develop and build any decent photo gear, and every extra detail costs a manufacturer something, whether it is engineering resources, testing time, material costs, production time, service costs, etc.  If another manufacturer is offering some extra detail at lower cost, you can bet they are cutting costs somewhere else, diminishing their product in some other way.  There is no free lunch. 

Anyone in business (including many photographers) knows that extra quality, extra features and extra service is always going to cost more.  If the 6D is targeted for a lower price point — if it is the "economy full-frame" — then it will necessarily offer some compromises.  Some people will find it a good compromise and others won't.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: More Canon EOS 6D Specs Surface [CR1]
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Here we go again... round two of offer me a 5D Mark III with extra features for half the price or I will go to Nikon forever!

Flame on.

After three pages of comments, apparently not. Nothing even close to your stated desires. Sorry.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

Re: More Canon EOS 6D Specs Surface [CR1]
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

Right. Not much wrong with the 5D III as a product. Except ... the price. 3.5k was ludicrous all along. I still cannot see anything that would justify any premium over the Nikon D800 at all. Rather the other way round.

Same with the 6D. If it is lower specced  than the Nikon D600 its gotta be cheaper than the Nikon. If not .. I will not consider it. I may or may not switch to Nikon. But I will definitely not buy underspecced and overpriced Canon bodies.
+1

surfbum

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:23 AM »
Canon 5D Mark 2 has now fallen to a remarkable $1680 from my favourite camera store, making it a pretty attractive entry-level FF camera.
If a 6D is going to be priced higher than that, then it will obviously need to have the extra features to justify it.

It's all very exciting and I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 5Dll 2 months ago

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:23 AM »