December 20, 2014, 10:55:50 AM

Author Topic: The Raw Data: The EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is the Sharpest Zoom Canon Has Ever Made  (Read 24876 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: The Raw Data: The EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is the Sharpest Zoom Canon Has Ever Made
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
I was trying to look for the name of the cable manufacturer on the Black Coax on the wall.. but there was not name, but it is so sharp, I bet we could have seen one  :P

Haha I'm sure.  I take it you're feeling pretty good about your purchase?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: The Raw Data: The EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is the Sharpest Zoom Canon Has Ever Made
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
I was trying to look for the name of the cable manufacturer on the Black Coax on the wall.. but there was not name, but it is so sharp, I bet we could have seen one  :P

Haha I'm sure.  I take it you're feeling pretty good about your purchase?

Yes... I am probably one of the few "idiots" that paid in advance for my pre-order, hoping I will be bumped up at my local camera store   ;)  But I pre=ordered 2 weeks ago, so i am not expecting one anytime soon...

by the way do you live in the Atlanta region? My bro lives in Lawrenceville and sis in Duluth... I come there once a year. We always goto Helen, GA :-)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
Yes... I am probably one of the few "idiots" that paid in advance for my pre-order, hoping I will be bumped up at my local camera store   ;)  But I pre=ordered 2 weeks ago, so i am not expecting one anytime soon...

by the way do you live in the Atlanta region? My bro lives in Lawrenceville and sis in Duluth... I come there once a year. We always goto Helen, GA :-)

Lol yeah but the charts looked very promising and were apparently very accurate.  Yes I'm very familiar with the areas you mentioned, Helen is a beautiful place. You go for Oktoberfest?  Man an idiot like you sure could get some great pics there with that 24-70 II ;)

AdamJ

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

What Canon lists their price and and what actually gets charged is completely different.

Example. Speedlite 600EX-RT - List price RRP is what? £629?
But I can buy it in the UK, with a VAT receipt for £429.99

The list price of the 70-200 mkII on launch was £2499, I paid £1349 - UK purchase, VAT receipt given.

The estimated price in the UK from my supplier is £1800 for the 24-70 MKII, which is a £500 increase over the Mk1 but it's only just came out.

Digital Rev are price scalping by charging £2499 which is £200 more than the RRP.

I wish everyone would stop bitching about pricing. Like the RRP means a damn thing.

It's the same as how a lot of guys in the UK complain about Ipads being cheaper in the states. The fools look at the prices less sales Tax. Account for that and the prices are almost the same as the UK.

Not bitching, just saying that the cheapest advertised UK (not grey) prices I can find today are:
24-70mm II - £2,299 (Wex) = $3,706, or $3,089 ex VAT
70-200mm II - £1,824 (MBP)

I tend to wait until product prices reach their market level and I'm sure the 24-70 II will eventually fall below £1,800 but if you have a dealer offering £1,800 on day one (or a 70-200mm II for £1,349), please could you let me know who they are - they could interest me in a few other lenses.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
Much like Canon L lenses, crack cocaine is also considered too expensive by many of its users.

Ironic thing is, L lenses are almost as addictive.   ;)

If I never heard of this lens I would be perfectly happy with the 24-105L but knowing there is something out there that is as sharp as the 24-70 II makes me think silly things like I need to sell my 24-105L and 35L so I can be ready for this.

Not silly at all, go for it.  I've been selling other gear getting ready for this.    ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

xthebillx

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »
I can fully agree to Rogers test. Thank you very much for testing.

If you are a professional photographer get the lens.

In my opinion it´s not to expensive. If you have only to work a day or less as a professional photographers to buy the lens, the price is not a big problem.

Couldn't agree more.
Only those who are hobbyist gear hounds would gripe about price. The rest of us will bump fees or line items a bit to accommodate the capital investment (or just draw from the capital investment fund  :)). If the tool does its job and the results equal a perceived (to the client) improvement in the technical quality of your work (read: sharpness), then it's a no-brainer.
The formula I was taught was: COST/avg # of working days in a year/36 (three years) +10% markup.
This way, over three years, the lens will pay for itself and furnish you with a 10% return for your trouble. $2300 winds up being a nominal increase in fees, and better results equal happier clients who won't question the marginal increase.
Not to mention it's 100% DEDUCTIBLE!

AdamJ

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
Only those who are hobbyist gear hounds would gripe about price.

To be fair, the price-related comments in this thread are largely to do with the US / UK price difference (a recurring theme) rather than the price per se.

Since I'm a hobbyist whose primary pursuit is the craft rather than the paycheck (accepting, of course, that the two pursuits are not mutually exclusive), I wouldn't gain any creative benefit from this lens so I won't be a customer for it. My view of the price is therefore an observation rather than a gripe.

Edit: Forgot to say that I can understand how amortisations and tax write-offs lessen the price-sensitivity of any equipment. Perhaps Canon's recent pricing policies are aligned to this thinking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:33:05 AM by AdamJ »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
To be fair, the price-related comments in this thread are largely to do with the US / UK price difference (a recurring theme) rather than the price per se.

I've seen plenty of people in the US complaining about the price, the same thing happened with the 5d3 too.  All I've heard is "it's $1000 more than the first one blah blah blah, waaaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaahhhhhhhh."(sniffle, sniffle).  I don't know remember stuff like this happening back in the day, professional products get released and consumers cry about how expensive they are.  Then they go all over the internet marginalizing the product (that they've never used) and telling everyone/themselves "oh it's not really better than the last version" to make themselves feel like they're not missing out on anything.  Happened with the 5D3, is happening with the 24-70 II now and I guess will continue to happen, but it's terribly annoying.  If the 24-70 I is just as good to you just go get a 24-70 I and shut the f*(% up.

Edit: for the record this wasn't directed at AdamJ or anyone here in particular, I posted this right after reading a bunch of ridiculous stuff on YouTube, then again YouTube is a giant cesspool of ignorance so I probably shouldn't take it too seriously. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:14:55 AM by Axilrod »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »

I've seen plenty of people in the US complaining about the price, the same thing happened with the 5d3 too.  All I've heard is "it's $1000 more than the first one blah blah blah, waaaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaahhhhhhhh."(sniffle, sniffle).  I don't know remember stuff like this happening back in the day, professional products get released and consumers cry about how expensive they are.  Then they go all over the internet marginalizing the product and telling everyone/themselves "oh it's not really better than the last version" to make themselves feel like they're not missing out on anything.  Happened with the 5D3, is happening with the 24-70 II now and I guess will continue to happen, but it's terribly annoying.  If the 24-70 I is just as good to you just go get a 24-70 I and shut the f*(% up.

"Back in the day" there was no internet. People still complained, but it wasn't recorded anywhere.
Most people expect value for their hard earned dollars, and they should. Some gear is over-priced in the market, time will tell with this lens.

Personally I want one, but it's not an easy decision at the release price.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »
"Back in the day" there was no internet. People still complained, but it wasn't recorded anywhere.
Most people expect value for their hard earned dollars, and they should. Some gear is over-priced in the market, time will tell with this lens.
Personally I want one, but it's not an easy decision at the release price.

This is true, and at least you admit that you want one and it's not an easy decision, instead of saying "oh well it's not any better than the original even though I've never used it."  I just hate the whole "I personally want it so therefore it must be in my price range or it's a ripoff" attitude.  It is an expensive lens and I was torn about it too, but after using it for a day I think it's worth it.  I have it for 2 more days and have a feeling I'm really going to miss it after I return it.

AdamJ

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »

I've seen plenty of people in the US complaining about the price, the same thing happened with the 5d3 too.  All I've heard is "it's $1000 more than the first one blah blah blah, waaaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaahhhhhhhh."(sniffle, sniffle).  I don't know remember stuff like this happening back in the day, professional products get released and consumers cry about how expensive they are.  Then they go all over the internet marginalizing the product (that they've never used) and telling everyone/themselves "oh it's not really better than the last version" to make themselves feel like they're not missing out on anything.  Happened with the 5D3, is happening with the 24-70 II now and I guess will continue to happen, but it's terribly annoying.  If the 24-70 I is just as good to you just go get a 24-70 I and shut the f*(% up.

I'm not crying about how expensive it is.

I haven't been all over the internet marginalising the product.

I haven't told myself that it's not really better than the last version. I am not delusional.

I was merely defending myself against a charge possibly aimed at, among others, me, of griping about the price, which I wasn't because I don't intend buying it.

What is it that has prompted you to tell me to "shut the f*ck up?" Last time I looked, this was a public forum. But the rudeness that is infecting it is shocking, frankly.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
Much like Canon L lenses, crack cocaine is also considered too expensive by many of its users.

If I never heard of this lens I would be perfectly happy with the 24-105L but knowing there is something out there that is as sharp as the 24-70 II makes me think silly things like I need to sell my 24-105L and 35L so I can be ready for this.

Not silly at all, go for it.  I've been selling other gear getting ready for this.    ;)

agree with Razor2012... I like to have the best & latest gear in my bag that I can afford. It does help my photo alot.

Others might find this as "false" statement - but I don't give a SHSSS....it's my money and I can spend on whatever I want, as long the wife approved it  ;D
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

I haven't told myself that it's not really better than the last version. I am not delusional.

I was merely defending myself against a charge possibly aimed at, among others, me, of griping about the price, which I wasn't because I don't intend buying it.

What is it that has prompted you to tell me to "shut the f*ck up?" Last time I looked, this was a public forum. But the rudeness that is infecting it is shocking, frankly.

Dude I absolutely wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the general sentiments I've seen on the web outside of CR (youtube in particular).  I'm sorry you took that personally, but you weren't complaining about the price, you mentioned why you thought people were complaining and I expanded on that.  I sincerely apologize.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:16:43 AM by Axilrod »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

agree with Razor2012... I like to have the best & latest gear in my bag that I can afford. It does help my photo alot.

Others might find this as "false" statement - but I don't give a SHSSS....it's my money and I can spend on whatever I want, as long the wife approved it  ;D

True Dylan, a guy can buy anything he wants if it has the wife's approval, lol.  I agree, if a person wants to buy a 1DX or a 400 2.8 that's cool.  There are alot of amateurs or hobbyists who get the best money can buy.  Sure there will be some that will gripe and say there's no reason to be getting such professional gear.  Well I'm sorry but like you said, I can spend my money how I like.  I'm pretty sure there's been a person or two on here that picked up a 1DX or 5DIII as their first DSLR, good for them.  They'll have a creative tool they can use for a lifetime.  Sure the learning curve might be alittle steep in the begining, but that's what makes it fun and makes you a better photographer.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

AdamJ

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

Dude I absolutely wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the general sentiments I've seen on the web outside of CR (youtube in particular).  I'm sorry you took that personally, but you weren't complaining about the price, you mentioned why you thought people were complaining and I expanded on that.  I sincerely apologize.

I misinterpreted your post - thank you for clarifying.

While I'm here, allow me to clarify my view. This is plainly a superb lens. I would love to count it in my modest kit bag and will congratulate anyone who buys one. Most of us have to prioritise our needs and, just as you said a few days ago that you couldn't justify the outlay for a TS-E 24mm but the Samyang might interest you (I said the same thing), that position is true for me with the 24-70mm II also. It's horses for courses. My photography is unpaid - there is nobody to complain about the resolution of the images I make with my 24-105mm, least of all me. If I need something faster, I have the unholy trinity (non-L 28mm, 50mm, 85mm) and still there will be nobody to complain about image resolution. To anyone fretting about the new lens's price, all I would say is that your existing glass is just as good as it was last week. To everyone who buys one, I say with all sincerity, congratulations.

Peace.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »