October 21, 2014, 10:42:37 AM

Author Topic: Europe trip, 1-2 months  (Read 12487 times)

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
Re: Europe trip, 1-2 months
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »
Well the title says it all. I'll do a trip in Europe (all of its countries including Russia) for a period of 1 to 2 months and want to know where you guys have been and where would you recommend me to go, places that worth to go and take PICTURES.
 I'll take a (almost)universal train pass so I can go everywhere.
Beautiful landscapes, train stations, cities, zoo's, library, castles,nice architecture,bridges,historicals sites, waterfalls,mountains,nice cruises.. as you might understand, everything that makes a nice photo is welcome in suggestions!
Even if you've never been into the old continent I want your ideas!
I'll bring all my important photo stuff(tripod,remote,8-16sigma,24-70 tamron,50 1.4 sigma,120-300 sigma.canon 60D) so no type of pictures is excluded.
Thaaank you.
if you only have one body i highly recommend getting another if your body fails you dont need to me to tell you how bad that would be on a photography trip.you could always pick one up in europe should that happen though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »

stephan00

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 08:16:56 AM »
If you're already passing through Austria, visit the Salzkammergut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salzkammergut), especially Hallstatt (not for nothing did they build a 1:1 copy in China). Naturally I would be tempted to suggest Vienna (Salzburg has already been mentioned), but to be honest, any of the towns from the times of the old monarchy is definitely worth visiting: Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, Triest,

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
Well the title says it all. I'll do a trip in Europe (all of its countries including Russia) for a period of 1 to 2 months and want to know where you guys have been and where would you recommend me to go, places that worth to go and take PICTURES.
Beautiful landscapes, train stations, cities, zoo's, library, castles,nice architecture,bridges,historicals sites, waterfalls,mountains,nice cruises.. as you might understand, everything that makes a nice photo is welcome in suggestions!
I'll bring all my important photo stuff(tripod,remote,8-16sigma,24-70 tamron,50 1.4 sigma,120-300 sigma.canon 60D) so no type of pictures is excluded.
Thaaank you.

While 4-8 weeks seems like a long period of time you are looking at decent size continent that probably couldn't be more diverse. It's kind of the same question that you get from Europeans traveling to the US. They often do the same thing where they either drive cross country (without much time to actually see and experience much) or criss cross from coast to coast to check of the stereotypical tourist attractions from their list.

If that's what you want people have given you the list already. And I'm not saying that Paris and Zermatt aren't worth visiting. Quite to the contrary. Only I would stick to 2, maybe 3 places that really interest you and get to know them better and beyond recreating the pictures and mental images that you already find at your local travel agent or on "Rick Steve's Europe" show.

To me traveling has always been about learning how places tick and where they're coming from. And I personally have a thing for putting things into historical contexts to understand the world a bit better. The one time I did one of those "20 countries in 10 days" undertakings with two very good friends we actually followed the path of one of the crusades with the added bonus of one of the friends being quite the expert on this subject. Not that the local food, drink and girls were dismissed along the way...Those were the days...

And I would stick to the 50 and the 24-70 and leave the rest at home.

Favorite places, some obvious, others maybe not so much:

Zermatt, Switzerland
Saas Fee, Switzerland
Florence
Paris
London and many towns along the Southern England shore
Delft, Netherlands
Amsterdam and towns along the Northern Shore
Hamburg, Germany
Cologne, Germany
Munster, Germany
Ploen lake region, Germany
Some of the smaller, less known islands of the coast of Athens
Istanbul

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:38:15 PM by 7enderbender »
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »
In France "château de la Loire" like Chambord and Chenonceau, the Alps, Mont Saint Michel, Beauval zoo (in the top ten of the Times magazine), Paris of course and so many other places !

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
While 4-8 weeks seems like a long period of time you are looking at decent size continent that probably couldn't be more diverse. It's kind of the same question that you get from Europeans traveling to the US. They often do the same thing where they either drive cross country (without much time to actually see and experience much) or criss cross from coast to coast to check of the stereotypical tourist attractions from their list.

If that's what you want people have given you the list already. And I'm not saying that Paris and Zermatt aren't worth visiting. Quite to the contrary. Only I would stick to 2, maybe 3 places that really interest you and get to know them better and beyond recreating the pictures and mental images that you already find at your local travel agent or on "Rick Steve's Europe" show.

To me traveling has always been about learning how places tick and where they're coming from. And I personally have a thing for putting things into historical contexts to understand the world a bit better. The one time I did one of those "20 countries in 10 days" undertakings with two very good friends we actually followed the path of one of the crusades with the added bonus of one of the friends being quite the expert on this subject. Not that the local food, drink and girls were dismissed along the way...Those were the days...

I understand what you mean but, i'm only 20 and will be 21 when I'll star the trip so I will have a looooot of time (I hope so haha)  to do it again.. I'll try to choose maybe 10-15(max) places with my Girlfriend to have enough time enjoying it. And for the gear, I'll bring the 8-16 because of the unique perspective it can achieve,for landscapes I'll do some panos with the 24-70, and the 120-300 is a Huge lens I know, but considering the 24-70 as my second longuest focal, I can't not bring the 120-300 because if I miss some long shots, i'll be a little mad at myself
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
In France "château de la Loire" like Chambord and Chenonceau, the Alps, Mont Saint Michel, Beauval zoo (in the top ten of the Times magazine), Paris of course and so many other places !
I won't miss the chance to see this for sure (i'm french canadiand(Quebec) so speaking french will please me ;))

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »
My personal favorites in Europe: Scotland (particularly the highlands) and Budapest

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Thaaank you.

Favorite places, some obvious, others maybe not so much:

Zermatt, Switzerland
Saas Fee, Switzerland
Florence
Paris
London and many towns along the Southern England shore
Delft, Netherlands
Amsterdam and towns along the Northern Shore
Hamburg, Germany
Cologne, Germany
Munster, Germany
Ploen lake region, Germany
Some of the smaller, less known islands of the coast of Athens
Istanbul

I think you mean Münster not Munster?  Or do you refer to the German Tank museum ?

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »
If you should decide to come to germany, I strongly suggest you visit the so called "saxon switzerland" in eastern germany, close to the czech border. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland

+1

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
If you're already passing through Austria, visit the Salzkammergut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salzkammergut), especially Hallstatt (not for nothing did they build a 1:1 copy in China). Naturally I would be tempted to suggest Vienna (Salzburg has already been mentioned), but to be honest, any of the towns from the times of the old monarchy is definitely worth visiting: Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, Triest,
+1

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »
Somehow I didn't see Lisbon nor Evora in Portugal being mentioned before. Both cities are definitely worth a visit, especially the latter, because it is in a region specializing in producing some fine wines and there is also good food in abundance. I recommend eating those typical cheeses and fish.

Speaking of cheese, in Switzerland places like Zurich and Montreux are also worth a visit.

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »
Why did you link to the world heritage sites? Many of these are not in Europe, so what's the point?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Heritage_Site
haha thank you but I already have a giant size book of unesco world heritage :)

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:09 AM »
Don´t miss the Dolomites in South Tyrol.

Worth visiting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomites

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:09 AM »