July 31, 2014, 09:27:35 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!  (Read 32041 times)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:37 AM »
if canon could surprise us with better specs and same price.. but it won't. let's see what they come up with..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:37 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Okay, so where's that "it's gonna be $1500, canon's gonna poop their pants" guy now?

So, we've got a camera that's $300 more than and basically a 'single step up' from the 4 year old canon.  I'll pass.

Seriously, 6D could simply be what was posted: 7D AF, digic V+ FF and sell for $2500 without issue. 

Boy, I'm glad we were prepared with thread-upon-thread about how this camera was going to put Canon out of business  ::)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Musouka

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 07:05:53 AM »
I wonder if there are any sales tracking services or stats for interchangeable lens cameras. It would be quite interesting how Canon, and others, are doing with their current lineups.

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics.  The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

The price in the market, even as "suggested" by the manufacturer is always based on feedback from the market - thats you and me.  The lifecycle of a product is not from the ground up, but from the final concept down.  Marketing at a company decides it needs a product with feature set "X" at price point "Y" to compete.  This is all based on marketing research, focus groups, informed decisions, and gut level feelings of the marketing department.  At that point, they go to manufacturing and say "build us this....(whatever)".  There may be some back and forth, especially when new technology will need to be brought in.  The back and forth is more or less to determine the scale of the expected propduct - its product life, the number of units, how they can also use technology in other products... that sort of thing.  At the end of the day - manufacturing's job is to build marketing's product, and do it at the lowest possible price, so that they make the most money.  In a company the size of Canon, manufacturing is a seperate company within a company, with their own bottom line.  They sell to marketing, which in turn has its own bottom line... but... always.... the actual "cost" to make anything, has no effect on its sale price.  The price is always determined by market conditions.  Always.

(the above is the condensed version, proto Readers Digest etc etc)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »
if canon could surprise us with better specs and same price.. but it won't. let's see what they come up with..

It's really not about the core specs but about the complete set including firmware features and handling - but only a real review will tell us in a couple of month when the real hardware is here (if ever).

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

Just a little lesson in manufacturing economics.  The cost of manufacturing has nothing - repeat - nothing to do with the price that any product sells for in the marketplace.

The price in the market, even as "suggested" by the manufacturer is always based on feedback from the market - thats you and me.  The lifecycle of a product is not from the ground up, but from the final concept down.  Marketing at a company decides it needs a product with feature set "X" at price point "Y" to compete.  This is all based on marketing research, focus groups, informed decisions, and gut level feelings of the marketing department.  At that point, they go to manufacturing and say "build us this....(whatever)".  There may be some back and forth, especially when new technology will need to be brought in.  The back and forth is more or less to determine the scale of the expected propduct - its product life, the number of units, how they can also use technology in other products... that sort of thing.  At the end of the day - manufacturing's job is to build marketing's product, and do it at the lowest possible price, so that they make the most money.  In a company the size of Canon, manufacturing is a seperate company within a company, with their own bottom line.  They sell to marketing, which in turn has its own bottom line... but... always.... the actual "cost" to make anything, has no effect on its sale price.  The price is always determined by market conditions.  Always.

(the above is the condensed version, proto Readers Digest etc etc)
   But must at least higher than the manufacturing cost, right?? Unless they just want to get the market share :P

Have a nice day.

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »
I wonder if it will have the same green-screen display and the focus point problems as the D800?

This new D600 still doesn't sway me enough to trade out of my 5D3.
but how about a 7D who's original price point wasn't too far off this?  They have a D800 to match the 5D3
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
Okay, so where's that "it's gonna be $1500, canon's gonna poop their pants" guy now?

So, we've got a camera that's $300 more than and basically a 'single step up' from the 4 year old canon.  I'll pass.

Seriously, 6D could simply be what was posted: 7D AF, digic V+ FF and sell for $2500 without issue. 

Boy, I'm glad we were prepared with thread-upon-thread about how this camera was going to put Canon out of business  ::)

As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

Britman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
You have to also consider that Canon might not even enter this game. They have to compete against the Sony A99 and the D600 and without taking from the 5D3, so they might just decide not to bother.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »

+1 ... another factor they'll have in mind is the devaluation of the products and what premium customers will pay to get a product that doesn't drop in price too fast (ff camera bodies) or not at all (L lenses). That's why I'd even consider buying the new 24-70ii - unless it's stolen or I manage to trash it, unlike Tamron I'd expect to be able to sell the Canon lens later on if I find I don't need it anymore.

As long as there are people who think a 4 year old 5D Mark II is just as good as a brand new D600, Canon has NOTHING to worry about...

But they do, actually their worry is that the 5d2 is just too good to make an easy profit with a "real" successor 6d - either it'll be too expensive to people will still get a 5d3 or 5d2 as long as possible, or it'll be too inexpensive cutting profits.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »

But they do, actually their worry is that the 5d2 is just too good to make an easy profit with a "real" successor 6d - either it'll be too expensive to people will still get a 5d3 or 5d2 as long as possible, or it'll be too inexpensive cutting profits.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic . . . implying that those that look at actual images and performance are mindless automatons, unlike people that buy the newest thing with 3 more pixels :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

jdavidse

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
Haha!  This is the justification I use every time I buy a new lens  :D

+1 ... another factor they'll have in mind is the devaluation of the products and what premium customers will pay to get a product that doesn't drop in price too fast (ff camera bodies) or not at all (L lenses). That's why I'd even consider buying the new 24-70ii - unless it's stolen or I manage to trash it, unlike Tamron I'd expect to be able to sell the Canon lens later on if I find I don't need it anymore.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic . . . implying that those that look at actual images and performance are mindless automatons, unlike people that buy the newest thing with 3 more pixels :)

Wups, hard to figure out for me sometimes what people say w/o smilies if opinions are so contradictory as about d800/5d3/...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
I hope they'll sell 5D2 @ around $1K or $1.3K. :D  I'll take it without thinking.

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
But must at least higher than the manufacturing cost, right?? Unless they just want to get the market share :P

On low end equipment, sure. On high end equipment, for which the customer is expected to buy some accessories (batteries, grip, flash, big white lens, etc), Canon can lose money on the camera and cover it from the profits on the accessories.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »