August 29, 2014, 08:28:04 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!  (Read 32434 times)

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »
I think it is nearly impossible to compare price of 5DIII and d800. beside the cost of producing the camera, there are many othere causes we don't even know about to bring up cost.
Least but not last, d800 has a newly developed sensor, with AF and meccanical part allready used in d3, d700, d3x, d4, . 5DIII is a completly new camera, with a new sensor, new AF, new body. This may be one of the reason of a higher price for the camera.
Diego
d800 has a new sensor, new body, updated af and metering used in d4, shutter life @20,0000
5d3 has a new sensor(maybe updated), new body, new af from 1dx, metering from 1100d, shutter life @15,0000

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »

FunkyCamera

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
Half plastic, overpriced, usual Nikon poor image quality, very inaccurate autofocus... don't know why they even bothered. Pointless gimmick camera. Bit I guess they'll just bribe dxo to give it 10x the score it deserves again.

Zlatko

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
At the end of the day, Canon will Milk their customers because they have good glass... people are bought into a system. The 5d3 was overpriced for this reason, and they got away with it... but many people are peed off that a similar costing body, costs 500-700 less. Had the 5d3 have similar DR and low ISO noise performance as the D800, it would have been a different story.
You're quite mistaken. The 5D3 is a nearly perfect blend of pro camera (1DX, 1DsIII, 1DIV) and small camera (5D2, 7D) in performance, features and size.  There are a number of ways in which the 5D3 is perfectly suited to my work and the D800 isn't (quiet shutter mode, variable file sizes, high ISO performance, autofocus performance, radio-controlled flash system, etc.).  The D800 doesn't meet my needs as well.  I've heard the same sentiments from other pros — they felt that Canon had really listened to their needs with the 5D3 and Nikon really hadn't with the D800.  (Of course, a landscape photographer has different needs and may be happier with the D800).

Rather than "getting away with it [higher pricing]" or "milking" their customers, Canon have delivered exactly what some photographers need at the 5D3's price level.  This idea of deviously "milking" customers with "overpriced" gear is unfounded in an age when customers have very good alternatives and can switch brands without a big financial loss.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:04:13 PM by Zlatko »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
At the end of the day, Canon will Milk their customers because they have good glass... people are bought into a system. The 5d3 was overpriced for this reason, and they got away with it... but many people are peed off that a similar costing body, costs 500-700 less. Had the 5d3 have similar DR and low ISO noise performance as the D800, it would have been a different story.
You're quite mistaken. The 5D3 is a nearly perfect blend of pro camera (1DX, 1DsIII, 1DIV) and small camera (5D2, 7D) in performance, features and size.  There are a number of ways in which the 5D3 is perfectly suited to my work and the D800 isn't (quiet shutter mode, variable file sizes, high ISO performance, autofocus performance, radio-controlled flash system, etc.).  The D800 doesn't meet my needs as well.  I've heard the same sentiments from other pros — they felt that Canon had really listened to their needs with the 5D3 and Nikon really hadn't with the D800.  (Of course, a landscape photographer has different needs and may be happier with the D800).

Rather than "getting away with it [higher pricing]" or "milking" their customers, Canon have delivered exactly what some photographers need at the 5D3's price level.  This idea of deviously "milking" customers with "overpriced" gear is unfounded in an age when customers have very good alternatives and can switch brands without a big financial loss.

Looks like you are carrying a peeve from our disagreement on the 24-70 thread.  ;)

No one said that the 5D3 was not a good blend/ all round camera, I own one myself. But I still think they Milked me and you.   :P

EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

vlim

• EOS M2
  • www.eco-tico-explorer.com
    • View Profile
    • Eco Tico Explorer
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
D600 = 1975€ in paris

We can already pre order it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:29:22 PM by vlim »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »

Looks like you are carrying a peeve from our disagreement on the 24-70 thread.  ;)

No one said that the 5D3 was not a good blend/ all round camera, I own one myself. But I still think they Milked me and you.   :P

It's true. The 5D3 is amazing and priced too high. We should probably be more upset about it than we are.

I would have expected Nikon to to better than $2100. I think Canon could actually undercut Nikon here. Basically release a 5D2 with an expanded 7D AF system for $1,999, alone that would be enough.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
Wow, $2,100 and Nikon doesn't even give you a full metal body?  I hope Canon isn't so cheap with the magnesium alloy.  You can get the 7D for $1200 and the body is a tank.  Hopefully the 6D will be the same. :-\

7D, built like a tank, but rebel-like IQ.  Even 650D is better.  :(

Nope, im shooting fashion week with a 'rebel' t2i- this rebel iq whoops 7d booty. Disclaimer- using the t2i because of image quality, and 7d is being retired, ready for trade in. Noisy POS.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
Nope, im shooting fashion week with a 'rebel' t2i- this rebel iq whoops 7d booty. Disclaimer- using the t2i because of image quality, and 7d is being retired, ready for trade in. Noisy POS.

The T2i and 7D use the same CMOS image sensor...but you're claiming the T2i has substantially better IQ?  That's like buying two bottles of Guinness Extra Stout from different liquor stores and claiming one tastes much better...I suppose it's possible - but if so, it's clearly subjective and most likely due to having smoked something first...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:39:07 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
Wow, $2,100 and Nikon doesn't even give you a full metal body?  I hope Canon isn't so cheap with the magnesium alloy.  You can get the 7D for $1200 and the body is a tank.  Hopefully the 6D will be the same. :-\

7D, built like a tank, but rebel-like IQ.  Even 650D is better.  :(

They have the exact same sensor. It's not really possible for them to have different IQ
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Helevitia

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »

It's true. The 5D3 is amazing and priced too high. We should probably be more upset about it than we are.

I would have expected Nikon to to better than $2100. I think Canon could actually undercut Nikon here. Basically release a 5D2 with an expanded 7D AF system for $1,999, alone that would be enough.

I would buy that if the sensor and ISO noise were on par with the MK2 or better.  I love my 7D minus the ISO noise.    Basically I want the D600 with a Canon label on it.  The 1/4000 is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.  I would also like to see usb 3.  So my perfect Canon Camera would be FF sensor,   6-7fps, built-in flash, 1/8000, usb 3, better ISO noise than the 7D, great AF system.  If Canon can do that, I will be a first day buyer. 

The current rumored specs have me concerned.  I really want a built-in flash.  I bought the 7D in May, assuming Canon would come out with an entry level FF DSLR by the end of the year.  I planned on selling my 7D and upgrading to the new camera, so I hope I made the right decision.  I guess we will know more next week?  On the bright side(for me), I got my 7D for $1250, so I think I could get most of my money back.  The only lens I have is the 70-200 IS USM II.  If Canon doesn't come out with a competitor to the D600, I might consider selling all equipment and switching.  I'll wait for reviews before making that choice. 

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

I would buy that if the sensor and ISO noise were on par with the MK2 or better.  I love my 7D minus the ISO noise.    Basically I want the D600 with a Canon label on it.  The 1/4000 is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.  I would also like to see usb 3.  So my perfect Canon Camera would be FF sensor,   6-7fps, built-in flash, 1/8000, usb 3, better ISO noise than the 7D, great AF system.  If Canon can do that, I will be a first day buyer. 

The current rumored specs have me concerned.  I really want a built-in flash.  I bought the 7D in May, assuming Canon would come out with an entry level FF DSLR by the end of the year.  I planned on selling my 7D and upgrading to the new camera, so I hope I made the right decision.  I guess we will know more next week?  On the bright side(for me), I got my 7D for $1250, so I think I could get most of my money back.  The only lens I have is the 70-200 IS USM II.  If Canon doesn't come out with a competitor to the D600, I might consider selling all equipment and switching.  I'll wait for reviews before making that choice.

I think the 6D has to have a pop up flash. It won't, but it should. The only use a pop up flash is to me is for controlling other external flashes. To me that's a huge deal.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
I think the 6D has to have a pop up flash. It won't, but it should. The only use a pop up flash is to me is for controlling other external flashes. To me that's a huge deal.

I'd rather it have the ability to directly control the 600EX-RT (and future -RT Speedlites) via radio with no pop-up flash.  But it won't have that, either.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
The only lens I have is the 70-200 IS USM II.  If Canon doesn't come out with a competitor to the D600, I might consider selling all equipment and switching.  I'll wait for reviews before making that choice.

If your only point of reference is the 70-200/2.8IS II, you'll probably be pretty disappointed with most of Nikons lenses.  If that is the better platform for you, then by all means switch; you might be wise to rent first though, just to be safe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »

I'd rather it have the ability to directly control the 600EX-RT (and future -RT Speedlites) via radio with no pop-up flash.  But it won't have that, either.   ::)

Well, sure. Since we're dreaming I'll take that ability too  :P

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »
Yeah, to me the pop-up flash is a waste of space atop the camera, I'd rather it be something embedded in the camera that allows control.

So my perfect Canon Camera would be FF sensor,   6-7fps, built-in flash, 1/8000, usb 3, better ISO noise than the 7D, great AF system.  If Canon can do that, I will be a first day buyer. 
Well, it definitely won't be 6-7fps, but you'll get the better ISO noise and AF system no doubt. USB3 would be nice, and I don't really care about the 1/4000 or 1/8000 distinction, neither is a critical setting for any action I shoot. I'm pretty happy with 1/1000th in most cases, to get to 1/8000th I'd need a really bright day

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »