October 26, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Author Topic: Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)  (Read 4166 times)

webexpert

Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:41:02 AM »
I am planning of buyina a 5d m3 and I am considering if it is cheaper to flight to USA and buy it from there. The price is much cheaper even if we add the cost of the trip and the customs will allow a dslr if it is not closed in its box as brand new. What is your opinion? Also another option to buy it from Dubai where it is again much cheaper. Any personal experience? Will the guarantee be valid in EU?

canon rumors FORUM

Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:41:02 AM »

chasn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
There are reputable ( I think ) dealers in the UK who import, some from the US some from Hong Kong, possibly breaking up kits, bolting on longer warranties who sell at very good prices.  Obviously not as good as buying from a Canon authorised dealer but then there are some difficulties with buying in the US or Dubai and importing yourself ( I don't think throwing the box away gets you off a potential import duty liabilty)

Basti187

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:21:11 AM »
I went to New York in April to buy a 5dm3 alongside with a lot of other gear, we just got everything out of the boxes and actually made it look like we ve used the gear before (put stickers on the case etc.) You just have to be smart, I mean we didn't even get checked on the way back to the UK, just get your story right and you should be fine. You'll have to throw away all the warranty stuff etc. though otherwise if they check you, you're screwed i guess :P

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
Throw away the warrantee stuff?  I realize you guy think we are savages, but there is this thing in America called the mail.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
5D3 body only

Mathers UK - £2469 inc vat and Warrenty = $3975

bhphoto - $3,459.00

That's a difference of $516 =@ £320

cheapest flight is going to be around £300

If your in EU and paying way higher than those prices wouldn't it be cheaper to easyjet it to UK?

If you are in UK What am I missing?

Basti187

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
you can get a 5dm3 from digitalrev for £2139 ($3450) imported into UK without any charges, just saying...

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
I wouldn't worry about customs much, just post the flattened box, manuals, receipt etc to someone you know back home and take an old lens and carry case to bring it back in so it's not too obvious.

Warranty is the reason I wouldn't do it, I think only lenses have an international warranty (some of them). As chasn suggested I'd be looking for a reputable grey market dealer, something half-way between the price and support. That's what I do in Australia, never had a problem myself but a friend that had a warranty problem got his camera back from the same place and repaired fine in a little over a week, and that was a non-pro that wouldn't have been eligible for any CPS loaners etc anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

Basti187

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
i know it's contradictory but you have to way the options of" getting caught and paying" vs. "warranty in the us"

hediz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
At Stockmann, authorized Canon Dealer, in Finland you can get a 5D mkIII for 2899€

https://stockmann.com/p/fi/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-digitaalijarjestelmakameran-runko/298460?itemId=298461

Only problem is you need to pick it up there or have someone do it for you ;)
EOS 5d mkIII and EOS 450D and some lenses

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
I wouldn't worry about customs much, just post the flattened box, manuals, receipt etc to someone you know back home and take an old lens and carry case to bring it back in so it's not too obvious.

I would be careful about this. Customs often can in fact identify bodies via serial numbers and check their origin. Then it really doesn't matter if it looks used or even if you have already successfully taken it into and out of the country once. Every time you go through customs with that body it might be checked and then they will want to see proof that you paid taxes for it. If you cannot provide that you may be charged with tax evasion which is a SERIOUS crime in some European countries.

Chances might be low, but I find the risk of having a criminal record too big a gamble for this...
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

hediz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

I would be careful about this. Customs often can in fact identify bodies via serial numbers and check their origin. Then it really doesn't matter if it looks used or even if you have already successfully taken it into and out of the country once. Every time you go through customs with that body it might be checked and then they will want to see proof that you paid taxes for it. If you cannot provide that you may be charged with tax evasion which is a SERIOUS crime in some European countries.

Chances might be low, but I find the risk of having a criminal record too big a gamble for this...

This would be interestin to see, I dont see that the Swedish customs are allowed to do this but I can be wrong. if you buy within EU there should be no problems.
EOS 5d mkIII and EOS 450D and some lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »
I went to New York in April to buy a 5dm3 alongside with a lot of other gear, we just got everything out of the boxes and actually made it look like we ve used the gear before (put stickers on the case etc.) You just have to be smart, I mean we didn't even get checked on the way back to the UK, just get your story right and you should be fine.

Way to advocate breaking the law.  Next, are you going to suggest that the OP rob a bank to fund the overseas purchase and illegal importation of the camera?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

Yes sorry my advice was probably too nonchalant. Being from the UK you will probably get deported to Australia, and I've heard they only have fosters beer and Nikon cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
I am planning of buyina a 5d m3 and I am considering if it is cheaper to flight to USA and buy it from there. The price is much cheaper even if we add the cost of the trip and the customs will allow a dslr if it is not closed in its box as brand new. What is your opinion? Also another option to buy it from Dubai where it is again much cheaper. Any personal experience? Will the guarantee be valid in EU?

Like others have said: don't - unless you're willing to pay at your local customs and are in it for the trip mostly. Chances of getting caught? I don't know. And I don't know what you're local duties and rules are. But I'm pretty sure a $3000 camera is out of the custom-free range.

I've witnessed once how German customs officers checked every passenger on a flight from Hong Kong, entering every serial number of every electronic device into a database for checking the POS or whatever. Looked like an expensive day for quite a few people.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
You could go to Guernsey or Jersey. Tax Haven and not £600 for a flight.

Put it this way all people outside Britain.

5DMKIII with the 24-105mm is £3,500 or $5,600 dollars in UK.

In America the same kit is $4,100 or £2800! For you yanks to understand that is $1500 or £700 more for the same camera.

Again with the 24-70 MKII £2,200 or $3500!!!
In america it is $2,300 or £1426 an £800 saving. Much more than 20% import tax.

In america you could buy a 5DMKIII with a 24-70MKII for the same price as the 5DMKIII with the 24-105mm lens kit over in the UK!!!

ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!!

I dont care who you are but those savings are huge savings. Would take what an extra couple of months to afford?

It makes complete sense with the money you save you could have a week in NYC or which ever city of choice. Its sad but if your going over to America and are a photographer its what happens, as I would prefer to buy things in the UK but the prices are just stupid in comparison.

The chances of being stopped at customs for a camera are very very low. Could you imagine if they stopped everyone for electronics? I brought this iPad for the journey with my iPod and iPhone... macbook... camera... never happens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:50:25 AM by tomscott »
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »