December 21, 2014, 08:04:01 PM

Author Topic: Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)  (Read 4311 times)

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Buy canon gear from the States (for Europe)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »
Just two things about the prices that are being mentioned and customs.
In the UK the price includes VAT and in the US the price doesn't include sales tax that would be added at the point of sale, this varies by State, in California its 8.75% . You can try and claim it back but good luck with that, its likely you will have died of old age by the time you receive it.
I travel frequently between Los Angeles and Heathrow and can't recall the last time I saw a customs officer in the customs zone   
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »

luoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
It is strange finding official product in Finland cheaper than the UK I can tell you!

Wonder how Customs and their fabled serial number checker would handle second hand kit? Might be import but... Ok a new 5d3 with a shutter count of 500 might be hard to explain.

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
As far as Dubai prices go.. youi might get a good deal on bodies.. but the 24-70 II ... $2555.

you decide.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

Put it this way all people outside Britain.

5DMKIII with the 24-105mm is £3,500 or $5,600 dollars in UK.

In America the same kit is $4,100 or £2800! For you yanks to understand that is $1500 or £700 more for the same camera.

£3500 less vat @ 20% £700 = £2800

VAT is the issue not Canon, unless my sums are wrong  :o

PS £3169 with just a quick look on http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod2678.html, best lowest price has been £3014 but that was probably Amazon so won't count that. So you could argue, taking vat out of the equation, it's actually cheaper in UK?

webexpert

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 02:49:11 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions.

Concerning Dubai, I remembered that in the duty free shops, canon gear was much cheaper compared to large e-commerce shops in UK and Germany (possibly because there is no tax) and it is perfectly legal to buy from duty free shops and not pay any extra taxes but I don't know what the guarantee covers. Does anybody have any experience with e-shops in that area so we can check the prices outside the duty free area? I have tried google but I couldn't find any ecommerce shop with prices.
I believe that if I can save more than 600 euros it is worth to visit the place, stay there and make some architectural photos for these money.   
Another question is the price differences in VAT among european countries. It varies from 15% in Luxemburg to 25% in Denmark and Sweden (according to Amazon). Since I am buying from Greece (23%) I believe it is better to buy from an e-shop in Luxemburg for example and save some money. Any suggestions?
Thanks

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 05:16:02 AM »
Hi Folks,

I think the discussion here is ok with some small hints:

Bringing expensive electronics into the EU without customs procedures is not so easy as often told. The guys at the customs know what is on in the world. And oif you bring in a rather new camera or lens the know this if the see it. And the extra fee's or legal treatment is not the finest if they get you.

But ...

it's a serious case of calculation: Improt tax into the EU for preferenced countries is low, something like 2% of price + transportation, tax is something like 20% (Germany). But the differences of the sales prices are larger in some cases. Not so different to have the flight payed - but large enough to import thins if you are on holidays in the US or Gulf-Region. And fullfill all customs requirements. The customs officers help you to fill the necessary forms and the payment is easy there, so you do not spend much time there. And all is completely legal, also if you pass the borders later on, you have alle clean and safe papers ...

Jörg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 05:16:02 AM »