July 23, 2014, 12:13:12 PM

Author Topic: 6D and crop feature  (Read 8156 times)

paulgmccabe

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
6D and crop feature
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
I saw that the Nikon D600 has a crop feature where you can move down to 10MP and get the extra reach offered by an APS-C camera.

Is it possible the 6D could be a 7D replacement that matches or exceeds the current 7D in crop mode, but also provides for a full frame mode?

I would like to stay with APS-C primarily as I do a lot of sports and wildlife photography but I would love to have FF where speed and reach or not required.

Is this too much to ask? There are some great deals on the 7D right now but I feel reluctant to pull the trigger, mainly because it's low light performance isn't that much greater than a Rebel. If I didn't have a Rebel, then buying the current 7D would be a no brainer, but as I have a Rebel there is still a significant premium to upgrade to the 7D when you factor in the low resale value of the Rebel.

It seems the only real advantages of the current 7D over the latest Rebel is the FPS and the focus system, but even there the latest Rebel has closed the gap.

canon rumors FORUM

6D and crop feature
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: 6D and crop feature
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »
I saw that the Nikon D600 has a crop feature where you can move down to 10MP and get the extra reach offered by an APS-C camera.

Is it possible the 6D could be a 7D replacement that matches or exceeds the current 7D in crop mode, but also provides for a full frame mode?

I would like to stay with APS-C primarily as I do a lot of sports and wildlife photography but I would love to have FF where speed and reach or not required.

Is this too much to ask? There are some great deals on the 7D right now but I feel reluctant to pull the trigger, mainly because it's low light performance isn't that much greater than a Rebel. If I didn't have a Rebel, then buying the current 7D would be a no brainer, but as I have a Rebel there is still a significant premium to upgrade to the 7D when you factor in the low resale value of the Rebel.

It seems the only real advantages of the current 7D over the latest Rebel is the FPS and the focus system, but even there the latest Rebel has closed the gap.

I don't think Canon will provide a crop mode for their FF but who knows?  They might if the photogs see some importance to having one.   7D is too old already.  It's due for replacement.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
I can see the point for video but surely a pretty minor point for stills which it sounds like you're doing? It's really just in-camera cropping so just saves a bit of card space and increases download speeds but unless I'm missing something no different to once on your PC just cropping to the same area. I do see the benefits of that, but more of a convenience than any sort of radical feature, guess it might improve the fps in that mode though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:27:01 AM by PeterJ »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »

I don't think so, Canon has separated the two worlds quite distinctively in the past, for example ef-s lenses don't work on ff so you have to buy new gear when upgrading. I don't see why they'd change that now because I expect them to be quite happy to sell *two* camera bodies to people wanting crop reach and ff iso quality. Anyway, a crop mode imho will only make sense with a high 35-40mp body so enough resolution is left.

paulgmccabe

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Yes, that's true, and they're hardly going to come out with an entry level FF with a higher pixel count than the 5D.

My biggest reluctance with getting a 7D is only the low light performance where it badly trails behind the likes of the D7000.

In my experience Canon don't currently have anything in APS-C format that produces usable files at even iso 1600.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

I don't think so, Canon has separated the two worlds quite distinctively in the past, for example ef-s lenses don't work on ff so you have to buy new gear when upgrading. I don't see why they'd change that now because I expect them to be quite happy to sell *two* camera bodies to people wanting crop reach and ff iso quality. Anyway, a crop mode imho will only make sense with a high 35-40mp body so enough resolution is left.
Yep, and I can't imagine them releasing that feature in a $2000 camera, but not having it in their $3500 camera as well. While it might benefit enthusiast users more, I am sure there are a few pros that would have gladly taken the crop mode for times they had to do sports, etc.

Its a nice idea for a feature, but, with the way the mounts work, I'm just not sure I see them doing it

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
What lenses do you use at the moment for your telephoto work? One thing to remember is apart from shallow DOF effects if you currently use faster lenses just for extra light / faster shutter speeds you might get away with longer focal lengths at slower appertures and/or extenders because of the better ISO performance. If you're already using something like a 400 f/5.6 you might be SOL though without dropping a lot of cash.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Feature already available. You go into Camera RAW or Photoshop and it's the little tool that looks a capital "L" with another upside down capital "L" overlapping it and it has a diagonal dotted line through it. Works great.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
Yes, that's true, and they're hardly going to come out with an entry level FF with a higher pixel count than the 5D.

My biggest reluctance with getting a 7D is only the low light performance where it badly trails behind the likes of the D7000.

In my experience Canon don't currently have anything in APS-C format that produces usable files at even iso 1600.

I've shot files that are usable up to 6400 on the 7D.

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
The 7D delivers 18MP on the current sensor.  22MP cropped delivers a lot less.  Wouldn't that result in less resolution in the image?
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »

i can buy a used 1d mark 3 that cost more or less like a new 7d and blow away the nikon d7000 in high iso frame rate, autofocus, everything.

i cant see a huge difference in iq between d7000 and 7d sensor at high iso (2/3 of stop...maybe) and is AF, shutter lag, speed and so on the 7d is a better camera than d7000/d300s.

Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Feature already available. You go into Camera RAW or Photoshop and it's the little tool that looks a capital "L" with another upside down capital "L" overlapping it and it has a diagonal dotted line through it. Works great.

;D

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

I think the main reason Nikon is doing that if I understand correctly is their system can use DX lenses (the equivalent of EF-S) while Canon can't use EF-S on its full frame cameras. This could be totally wrong but I think I'm right here. It makes sense on Nikon since with a crop lens all your going to see is black or very heavy vignetting in the other area so it's a value added feature where as on Canon it just complicates things and if you really wanted that then they could offer a feature to crop the picture in camera but not while being shot. I'm curious how you know how the shot is going to be framed in that case as well through an optical view finder.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
In camera cropping would be usefull if it came with a boost in FPS
APS-H Fanboy

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
In camera cropping would be usefull if it came with a boost in FPS
Good point. Hadn't thought about that. But then again I never shoot anything but raw. Speed is definitely not a huge concern to me.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »