November 24, 2014, 05:49:47 PM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G15  (Read 26150 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Canon PowerShot G15
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »
... I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass.

I bought a 1D X so I could treat it like the tool that it is.   ;)

Well, good for you.  But still, extra care won't hurt.  Love your tools and they will love you back.

I don't know much about inanimate object's love, but I treat my tools with care. Damaged (out of order) tools are pretty much useless to me. ;)
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »

Well, good for you.  But still, extra care won't hurt.  Love your tools and they will love you back.

I don't know much about inanimate object's love, but I treat my tools with care. Damaged (out of order) tools are pretty much useless to me. ;)

That's my point. It's just a figure of speech.  Thanks for explaining.  :)

powershot2012

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 05:52:42 AM »
Looks like they are still using the smaller 1/1.7" sensor. Finally a faster lens, but looks like Canon is just now catching up to the competition, nothing really new or interesting.  RX100 is still the edge with smaller size to fit in your pocket with a larger sensor.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
Looks like they are still using the smaller 1/1.7" sensor. Finally a faster lens, but looks like Canon is just now catching up to the competition, nothing really new or interesting.  RX100 is still the edge with smaller size to fit in your pocket with a larger sensor.

yup. except the price will be in favor of G15, hopefully... :)

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 07:10:02 AM »
It looks like the exposure compensation and ISO dials are gone.  That's not good.
Why? My DSLR doesn't have those dials and I don't need them. Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »
is this a joke by canon? skip the 13 and 14 numbers? and where is the 600d? is this what they planned for photokina?

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »
It looks like the exposure compensation and ISO dials are gone.  That's not good.
Why? My DSLR doesn't have those dials and I don't need them. Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.
Don't need dials? Want thinner body without vari-angle LCD for your pockets? Then wait for S100 successor, because canon G series are not what you want.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
so nikon guys get a D600 this week and we a G15...mhm.. i hope there is more coming :)

We get nothing :), just the picture. Nikon guys got their D600 picture a long time ago.

Yeah, but they also got a picture of a $2100 price tag, which has got them all of a tizzy. Seems many of them actually believed they were getting a new full frame for $1500.

Zlatko

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »
Those dials were very nice to have.   But you're right that we don't need them.  It depends on how easy it is to make those same adjustments on this camera.  Hopefully as easy as on a DSLR.

Gman

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
... Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.

Why do you assume the articulated screen has gone, we have only seen one image so far, from the front and we dont know how accurate it is, we dont know how tightly extracted that image was from whatever original. I must admit though it does look kind of slimmer than a G12. If the screen has really gone then I will have to go too ... over to the Nikon P7700 I used my screen all the time, very useful, only rarely used a viewfinder.

As to the dials surely Canon wouldn't have made something worse than the G12, they must have come up with ways to make it easier to use? There's still the dial wheel on the front, now doubt programmable and hopefully the Fn buttons are still there but we wont know until we see official images front back top and sides.

Might be interesting to see this image and a similar angle G12 image to compare to see what's changed. If they have kept to a G12 chassis there's no reason why they would have ditched the articulated screen?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:57:37 AM by Gman »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
so nikon guys get a D600 this week and we a G15...mhm.. i hope there is more coming :)

We get nothing :), just the picture. Nikon guys got their D600 picture a long time ago.

Yeah, but they also got a picture of a $2100 price tag, which has got them all of a tizzy. Seems many of them actually believed they were getting a new full frame for $1500.

Well, the price will simmer down to less than 2K after 6 months or 1 year.  At least, all the features I've been looking for an entry FF is there.  With 6D, I withhold my judgement till it we see it.  I hope it's better.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »

+1..... on keep the camera gear clean + shine.  ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

husky65

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
I enjoyed the G12 while it lasted. Had it in a softcase, placed it on the seat of my motorcycle for a moment, bumped it with my arm and it fell to the ground (my fault) and the flip out screen never worked again. The seat height is 32 inches. The quote to fix it was almost half the price of a new one. Yikes. Let's hope the G15s are built a little tougher.

Maybe next time, you can secure a belt bag (wear it of course), leave it there when you're not using and wear the neck strap whenever you want to use it.  For me, I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass.  Sure, it's a little bit awkward but at least I can still use it the next day.  Anyway, I sure hope G15 will kick-ass.  :)

I think if I had a think crystal wine glass in a padded camera case and it fell 32 inches, it would remain intact without breaking. :) Cameras are simply tools to me and I've beat them up all over the world for 30+ years. My  7D and 5D are built pretty tough...no problems there. As far as neck straps and belt bags...they don't work with my kind of motorcycle riding. Padded cases should do the trick. Hey, I love Canon stuff...bought my first AE1 back in 1976 and owned Canon products ever since...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »

It does seem the obvious alternative to the G1X, faster lens rather than larger sensor.

To me the viewfinder block ontop looks a bit larger than previous models so perhaps its improved? that and the fast lens to me looks to be something a bit more interesting than the P7700 which is really just a pretty standard superzoom.

m_holorge

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »
G13 and G14 is missing due to Japanese tradition. 13 is unlucky worldwide though, 14 relates to death. It's quite normal when taking elevators in JPN.
BTW, isn't Lumix's new pointshoot camera better for its leica lens of F1.4, msrp $499?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:39:58 PM by m_holorge »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »