September 18, 2014, 05:46:54 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Specs Leaked?  (Read 67913 times)

madmailman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Specs Leaked?
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »
I think this was leaked by Canon so they could sell more of their 5D mkii's that they have already made. I do have a question for everybody saying Canon should just put the 7D's AF system on a full fram sensor. Surely the AF system would only cover a very small portion (center only) of the bigger sensor? So essentially a 19 point AF system for a FF sensor would be a completely new AF system?
5D3, 16-35mm f2.8mkii 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 40mm STM, 70-200 f2.8mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

IF the spec is true...I think buy 5D III is a better choice. Peopple buying 5D III on ebay around $3000 and they seem to be HAPPY.

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
...I think you guys are missing the point... everyone griped they wanted an entry level full frame, they got it...  To me, I think this is squarely put right there for those advanced rebel shooters and xxd users who have the option... 

True but I don't think the vast majority of us want an "entry level full frame" body.  We want an updated 5D2 body that is not $3500 ($2000-$2500 range).  Ideally we want a 5D3 but can't or aren't will to pay that price.

I don't get this term "entry level."  To me entry level is a low end rebel.

If these specs are true it's a major disappointment.  Something needs to give, either the specs or the xD name.

Nope, not buying a 5D2, want better AF and I am investing in RT flashes.  I'll just have to be happy with my 7D.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
I do have a question for everybody saying Canon should just put the 7D's AF system on a full fram sensor. Surely the AF system would only cover a very small portion (center only) of the bigger sensor? So essentially a 19 point AF system for a FF sensor would be a completely new AF system?

Probably.  But actually, not as much smaller as you might think!   If they compensate for the larger frame, it means developing a new sensor.  If they don't, it means the 6D would have more AF points, and better ones, but the area coverage would be a bit less than that of the 5DII, as you can see in the attached image (5DII in blue, 7D in black, not adjusted for the relative sizes of the image sensors). 

The AF area coverage of the 5DII was already not a strong point.  When they released the 5DII, they touted the fact that the horizontal point spread was the same as the 1DsIII, conveniently ignoring the fact that the vertical spread was a full row shorter.  The 7D's AF sensor on the 6D would mean the loss of a horizontal row, as well. 

But even though those outer points would not be very far from the center, they'd be better than the 5DII's AF outer points...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DB

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
I think this was leaked by Canon so they could sell more of their 5D mkii's that they have already made. I do have a question for everybody saying Canon should just put the 7D's AF system on a full fram sensor. Surely the AF system would only cover a very small portion (center only) of the bigger sensor? So essentially a 19 point AF system for a FF sensor would be a completely new AF system?

Correct. Remember the 7D AF system was revolutionary because it was designed with fast shooting in mind (8fps in AI Servo mode using a telephoto zoom) for sports action etc., hence the zone and expansion AF selectable modes - presumably this is why all 19 AF points had to be of the cross-type variety too.

However, the above specs for this rumored 6D with a relatively low frame rate, tells us that it is definitely not a sports action or wildlife intended camera body, ergo the AF system does not need to be as demanding. After all, if the intended user will be shooting portraits or landscapes, then they'll most likely be using centre AF point most of the time.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
A new 20mp sensor:  OK, no complain
Full Frame:  Good
4.5fps:  Accepted
ISO Range 100-25600:  Accepted
DIGIC5+:  Good
APS-C Sized body:  Which one? T3? T4i? 60D? or 7D?  As if it is T3 or T4i, Nikon D600 is a better choice
Weathersealed:  Good
SD Card:  Accepted
Built-in Wifi & GPS:  Good but not really need it
11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center:  One cross type only? Ummm... odd... Nikon  D600 is a better choice
3? LCD:  Accepted
Full HD (1920×1080):  Accepted
Available December 2012:  Accepted
Price: $1999 USD Body Only (Speculated price):  Sorry, no interested with current specs.  To current shooters out there who:
1. Currently use xxxD or xxxxD series wants to upgrade to full frame:  Go fo Nikon D600
2. Currently use xxD or 7D series wants to upgrade to full frame:
    a. Go for 5D Mark II if you have too many lenses already
    b. Go for Nikon 800 if you do not have that many lenses

Sound like "no match" to the 7D, except handling high noise...  I think Canon is trying to push its customers to Nikon side

To Canon:  Making profit is really important, but maintaining one's current customers as well as drawing more customers is also important.  Once entry shooter/newbie goes to Nikon, buy many lenses in the future, my question is will they go back to Canon?  I guess probably not.  Therefore, Canon must be carefully think prior to pick one from its prototype bodies.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
This is getting funnier.  Canon, do you really want to delight us always?

or Nikon, delighting you always...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »

floex712

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
APS-C sized body?  7d or T4i size?

I agreed, huge difference in body size. 7D is around about the size of both 5D II and III. T4i size not so exciting.

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
Any Rebel or xxD owner would be faced with a choice between the new 6D FF or the old tech 7D with little or no upgrade in IQ from what they were previously using.
Depending on what the Rebel or xxD owner used before, both 60D and 7D still offer an upgrade in IQ. Owning a 450D/XSi, I am currently considering the 60D/70D/7D as a replacement and I can tell you, the 18 MP Sensor of the 60D/7D is a big improvement over the 12 MP Sensor of the 450D.

Unless of course, Canon brings out a 7D2 sometime in early-2013 with even better specs for around $2500 price territory. But then the big question arises, will a new 7D still have a crop sensor? Will buyers pay more for APS-C than for FF?
Buyers bought APS-H even though a cheaper FF existed. And there are action, sport and wildlife photographers which would prefer a high speed Crop-DSLR over the 5D III.
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

Zlatko

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
Looks fake...  If this is true... Why the heck does Canon spend so much time figuring out ways to cripple their products instead of going and reworking their sensors... >:(
That's like going to McDonald's to complain that their basic hamburger is a "crippled" version of their Big Mac.  You won't get much sympathy (actually, none).  If you want a Big Mac, you have to pay the extra $ that it costs.

Thats a silly example... the 6D is not replacing the 1dx, it is replacing the 4 year old 5dii.

Ask the guys who bought 60D, and found out they no longer had AFMA. and this was a prosumer body not a rebel. The 50D had it but they crippled it in the 60D. Numerous other examples.

That certainly proves my point.  The 50D was introduced at about $1,400.  The 60D was introduced at about $1,100.  The 60D currently sells for under $900.  So you expected that Canon would cut the price by $300 and not diminish anything in the new camera?  Everything would be the same or better (not "crippled" in your view), and they would simply cut the price by $300 and give it a new model number?  Would that be rational for a camera manufacturer?

And anyone who bought the 60D without knowing that it didn't have AFMA didn't do even basic research.  These details are so easy to look up before you buy.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center

Weak.  Very weak.

No kidding! If Canon releases this, they deserve to lose customers and sales. This makes the whole entire rumor sound bogus...I don't think Canon would gimp their D600 competitor so much.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
1. Currently use xxxD or xxxxD series wants to upgrade to full frame:  Go fo Nikon D600
Only if you haven't invested into lenses. Investing into Nikon lenses would be more expensive as well and lenses are imo more important than the body.
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

IF the spec is true...I think buy 5D III is a better choice. Peopple buying 5D III on ebay around $3000 and they seem to be HAPPY.

only that people might have another 1000 dollars to spend on lenses..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
Really? So much over-reaction to rumored specs. Are we going to have to endure the same months and months of endless whining that occurred when the 5DIII was released?

Whatever Canon releases will be comparably spec'd and comparably priced to the 600D. It won't be identical, but comparable enough to compete, which is what this is all about.

As for the rumored specs, people seem to be reading them in the worst possible light. They describe a camera that is weather-sealed, has some magnesium framework (like the 600D), a slightly better autofocus than the 5DII, a slightly better frame rate and the latest processor. It is introduced at a price that is about $600-$700 less than the 5DII was introduced at. Is that so horrible?

We know nothing about the sensor itself, which means we know nothing about the quality of the images. Would opinions change if the camera performs at high ISO somewhere between the 5DII and the 5DIII?

Reminds me of the complaints when the 60D came out. People wanted all the 7D features for $1,000. Now people want the 5DIII features at $2,000.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but why does one need 60+ autofocus points?  I keep my camera set to the center focus.  Focus, frame.  That's how I learned to operate a camera. Am I doing it wrong?

Center point recompose is a work around for bad AF systems that won't nail focus anywhere but the center point ---

and even then the focus may be off at larger apertures -- give this a read --  http://www.visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »