October 24, 2014, 11:33:16 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Specs Leaked?  (Read 69705 times)

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 6D Specs Leaked?
« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »
Well from the early days of the 5D3 rumours I’ve been looking for a FF 650D looks like Canon are about to deliver!
The 5D3 is of course a fabulous camera and I’d have one in an instant if either of these were true
       a) I could afford it
       b) I was earning money with it
Unfortunately neither are true although I will be able to afford it at some point but I don’t like the time scale.

As a 500D owner looking to upgrade a FF650D would clearly be just that and I do feel that I’m right in the middle of the demographic this camera is aimed at (not pro’s looking for a cheap backup body)

I do have a few concerns though
       1. If it doesn’t have AFMA
I’ve never had a digital camera with AFMA so I just don’t know how important it is too have this on EF /FF body, I need to do my homework and get a clear understanding of the tolerances involved. Maybe without AFMA camera/lens performance will be acceptable for me as an enthusiast? Is this a ‘black or white’ thing or is it more something that pro’s require? I just don’t know.

2. The top flash sync speed does seem slow, not too happy about that but it is still just rumour

3. 650D has 9 cross-type, that’s fine but shouldn’t be less than this because that’s the reason  haven’t        gone for a 5D2

…… and then of course getting a 650DFF price point would allow me to get better glass keep taking pictures and upgrade the body to a 5D3 when the price has come down a bit in a year or so…… Sounds like a plan!

If the camera exists at all I can’t wait to see the final specs

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »

daniel_charms

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
someone working in a retail in the uk...

the price point in the UK will be £1799

its a 20mp camera with only 1 card slot SD/SDHC... stock will arrive in December.
The price is including 24-105 or not?? £1799 is close to $3000

Nope, UK prices just tend to be higher like that. Amazon UK is currently taking pre-orders for the D600 at £1974.44, so if this rumoured price is true, then the 6D will be nearly 200 pounds cheaper than the Nikon.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 15, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

its a 20mp camera with only 1 card slot SD/SDHC... stock will arrive in December.

body only but it's cheaper than d600 that would be around 2000 pounds; in the rest of europe will be around 1800€ so it will retail around 5dmk2 actual prices (1600-1700). price a it too high
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 15, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
With the leaked specs, this is DOA at $1999.

crucial_extreme

« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
only the body £1799

and you know that how?

trolling attempt from a new registered user?!   ;)

Call me a troll at your own peril ;)

you'll come to know on Monday as who is trolling and who is trying to bash a new registered user ;)

if you've cared to read my earlier post then I have already mentioned as from where I got the information..

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »

good call.  I instantly wrote off the 60D due to its lack of AFMA.  Especially with 3rd party lenses & AF-confirm adapters, the lack of it is a deal-breaker.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 15, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
My question is:  if it is indeed 20MP, why the heck did they develop yet another FF sensor?

They're Canon. They did it because they can.

As long as they can increase the DR, 20MP is enough.

I agree with increasing the DR, but I'm skeptical as any other. Not saying it's impossible, because people did welcome the 5D series and knew what they were sacrificing performance wise, just so they could get the IQ. The 5D mark III is a beast with it's AF performance. A lower 5D with more DR is what we're all hoping for, judging from Canon's habits... Most likely not going to happen. As for the sensor, they do make their own sensor unlike Nikon who has to depend on Sony. Canon has repeatedly used the 7D sensor without releasing completely brand new sensors (aside from small tweaks) in the crop line, and perhaps in that time they developed a secret line of new sensors including what's rumored to be this 20mp one. Or... They just used that time to develop their new Cinema cameras, and we're still pretty much screwed for new bodies until they can recover. In the meantime while we all wait for that, I'm still enjoying shooting because of Canon's awesome lens lineup.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: September 15, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
My question is:  if it is indeed 20MP, why the heck did they develop yet another FF sensor?

I agree with increasing the DR, but I'm skeptical as any other. Not saying it's impossible, because people did welcome the 5D series and knew what they were sacrificing performance wise, just so they could get the IQ. The 5D mark III is a beast with it's AF performance. A lower 5D with more DR is what we're all hoping for, judging from Canon's habits... Most likely not going to happen. As for the sensor, they do make their own sensor unlike Nikon who has to depend on Sony. Canon has repeatedly used the 7D sensor without releasing completely brand new sensors (aside from small tweaks) in the crop line, and perhaps in that time they developed a secret line of new sensors including what's rumored to be this 20mp one. Or... They just used that time to develop their new Cinema cameras, and we're still pretty much screwed for new bodies until they can recover. In the meantime while we all wait for that, I'm still enjoying shooting because of Canon's awesome lens lineup.

An increase in DR won't make any difference if it has fewer than 24MP.

It would need to have some kind of extraordinary DR, like 16 or 18 stops, maybe 20, for it to make up for the lack of megapixels in the eyes of the average DSLR shopper.

I thought with the 22MP 5D3 that Canon would do something special for video because of the 3:1 ratio for 1920x1080 but it has delivered nothing special, so we were all wrong about that.

All of this means that Canon's strategy for this evolution of sensors and cameras is wrong.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »

It would need to have some kind of extraordinary DR, like 16 or 18 stops, maybe 20, for it to make up for the lack of megapixels in the eyes of the average DSLR shopper.

I thought with the 22MP 5D3 that Canon would do something special for video because of the 3:1 ratio for 1920x1080 but it has delivered nothing special, so we were all wrong about that.

All of this means that Canon's strategy for this evolution of sensors and cameras is wrong.

nothing stopped D700 to be a good seller compared to 5D2.  WTH I'm just looking for a DR of 15 for 20MP.  16 will be heaven.  If they can deliver it, for $1700, even with 9 AF points all cross-type, I'll buy it in an instant.

DB

« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

Nope, UK prices just tend to be higher like that. Amazon UK is currently taking pre-orders for the D600 at £1974.44, so if this rumoured price is true, then the 6D will be nearly 200 pounds cheaper than the Nikon.

The D600 is currently on sale in Ireland and the cheapest price is €2300 (> US$3000) see below for biggest Canon/Nikon dealer prices:

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d600/p-vba340aepd.html

If the 6D is genuine and if it is priced just below the D600, then prices in UK & Ireland will be around £1,650 & €2,099 respectively. In both countries it will likely cost 500 more than a 7D.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

nothing stopped D700 to be a good seller compared to 5D2.  WTH I'm just looking for a DR of 15 for 20MP.  16 will be heaven.  If they can deliver it, for $1700, even with 9 AF points all cross-type, I'll buy it in an instant.

The sales of the D700 were nothing compared to the 5D2.
Yes, the D700 sold, but in nowhere near the numbers of the 5D2.
So as a matter of fact, the 5D2 did eat up a lot of potential D700 sales.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »

good call.  I instantly wrote off the 60D due to its lack of AFMA.  Especially with 3rd party lenses & AF-confirm adapters, the lack of it is a deal-breaker.

No, my problem is that I don't know if it is a deal breaker having never had a dslr with this!

But that's an interesting point you make about af-confirm adapters as I have FD lenses and I know the confirm point isn't quite right but I compensate for that. Would AFMA really allow me to correct this or is it too fine a micro adjustment to make any difference?

Edit: rubbish AFMA has to register the setting for the lens and it doesn't recognise FD of course

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:24:21 AM by zim »

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »
Most likely, these specs are just made up, because:
a) "APS-C Sized body" doesn't make any sense. Maybe some bits were lost in translation, so we've got "APS-C Sized body" instead of "APS-C Sized sensor" and those are 70D specs.
b) "11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center" doesn't make much sense as well. How many cross-type in the center? 1? 5? 7?  60D and 650D got all 9 cross-type.
c) If "APS-C Sized body" somehow means that it is smaller than 5D/1D, then I doubt that it would be xD series camera. SD card slots are reasonable for smaller bodies. However, a single SD card slot in $2000 body is just ridiculous and if they did that just to keep the price as low as possible, then the "Built-in Wifi & GPS", "Weathersealed" body and a new FF sensor doesn't make sense at all.
d) IMHO, only 5D(something) can replace the 5D2. Writing random numbers on cameras is a Nikon thing, not Canon. Let's call it 5D2minusCF  ;D

As a 70D these specs make a lot more sense.  even if it is full frame after all.  I wonder if Canon would still be considered dead/over/Kodak/irrelevant/stupid if the chips do fall this way?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 6D should be $1500
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »
Yup, at $1200-$1500, this camera would sell. And sell well.

But at the same price as the D600, who's going to buy it?

If you've got an APS-C Canon DSLR and "L" lenses then you're probably in a position to buy the 6D but would you?

When you look at it, $2000 for 24MP Nikon D600 or $2000 for 20MP Canon 6D.

Who's going to think that the Canon is a good purchase? Nobody... people will buy it because they feel like there is no other choice, not because they want to.
Furthermore, I don't understand who will buy this camera anyway.   Who is it really marketed at?   The consumer segment has no clue between APS-C and FF.  FF is not an upgrade over crop, they each have their purpose (you don't upgrade your car by buying a truck, cars haul people and trucks haul stuff).  Those that want to add a FF (like myself), will find the specs inadequate.  So who is this thing for?   All I see is Canon purely reacting to their competitor and not producing  a product for their customers.  Tell me where I'm wrong. 

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
Yup, at $1200-$1500, this camera would sell. And sell well.

But at the same price as the D600, who's going to buy it?

If you've got an APS-C Canon DSLR and "L" lenses then you're probably in a position to buy the 6D but would you?

When you look at it, $2000 for 24MP Nikon D600 or $2000 for 20MP Canon 6D.

Who's going to think that the Canon is a good purchase? Nobody... people will buy it because they feel like there is no other choice, not because they want to.
Furthermore, I don't understand who will buy this camera anyway.   Who is it really marketed at?   The consumer segment has no clue between APS-C and FF.  FF is not an upgrade over crop, they each have their purpose (you don't upgrade your car by buying a truck, cars haul people and trucks haul stuff).  Those that want to add a FF (like myself), will find the specs inadequate.  So who is this thing for?   All I see is Canon purely reacting to their competitor and not producing  a product for their customers.  Tell me where I'm wrong.

Where you're wrong is that the design and planning for this camera probably started 3 or 4 years ago.

Thus what you see in this design is Canon reacting to what Nkon/Sony were doing then, not now.

The features (including sensor) would have been locked down sometime last year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »