December 21, 2014, 03:29:48 PM

Author Topic: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!  (Read 14025 times)

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
Do anyone uses a neck/shoulder strap other than the one that comes w/the ESO bodies?  I'm looking for a more comfortable one and would like to know for those of you that uses one other than the one provided by Canon upon purchase of a camera body.  I also have a slight concern on the safety/strenght of some that have easy release clips/buckles.  Are they secure?  I'm shooting w/a 5D M2 and main usage is for walking around the city and vacation and I could use one that's more comforting to the neck.  Thanks for your input!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
Not neck, shoulder instead. Blackrapid works very, very well.  I routinely carry a 1-series or gripped body with a large white zoom (70-200/2.8L IS II, 28-300L or 100-400L).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »
I also use a Black Rapid Sport. Mere words cannot express the improved ergonomics and comfort the BR system has over any neck strap...

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
I must also profess my support for my BlackRapid. Go with the RS-7.  Very comfortable.  I lugged my 60D with a 70-200 2.8L around Seattle all day and felt fine the whole time.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
I hate the Canon ones. They're fine on something like a rebel but a heavier body and a heavy lens makes for a very sore neck. I have two of these http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-OP-NS1-Professional-Neoprene-Digital/dp/B004GI06BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347664176&sr=8-1&keywords=opteka+neck+strap. They have a clip to disconnect it but it's very secure and I've never had issues with them. The padding is much more comfortable than the Canon's. I've heard the neck strap they give you when I sign up for the Canon CPS  is pretty nice so I might go back to that if I do that. Regarding the blackrapid, those have always scared me, the thought of me swinging around quickly and having the lens smash into something. Are the strap lengths able to be shortend to have it more at chest level so there's not so much room to swing? The main issue I have with neck straps is it's a real pain trying to shoot with two cameras at once and in this respect, I could see the other working better.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8 Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 70-200 IS II L, Canon 600 EX-RT, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
+1 for Black Rapid. One of the best accessories of any type I own.

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Blackrapid +1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »
Regarding the blackrapid, those have always scared me, the thought of me swinging around quickly and having the lens smash into something. Are the strap lengths able to be shortend to have it more at chest level so there's not so much room to swing?

The BlackRapid straps have clips that work as stoppers. So you can position the camera to remain anywhere on the strap.  I have one set at the bottom so the camera doesn't go any further back than right at my side.  And I find I spend more time with my hands on my camera every time I bend over with a neck strap that I ever do with my BR.  And it's more natural for me to just keep my right hand gently on my camera body as I walk around with it hanging at my right hip.  I love it and will never go back to a neck strap.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
We use "The Cinch" by Luma Labs.  The length is easily adjustable so that the camera can be held securely close to your body when your not using it.  My girl friend and I have them on several cameras.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
BlackRapid. "Ditto."

b&

eli72

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
I like the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap and I get a set of their extra long Pro Loop connectors because I like the camera to hang lower. Also makes it easier if you prefer to carry it over your shoulder and across your chest than around your neck. I've used them on 1 Series bodies with the 70-200 for 4 years with no problems with the buckles coming loose. Another thing that you could look at is the SpiderPro Holster system that allows you to hang the camera from your waist, taking the weight off of your neck and shoulders altogether. When I'm shooting sports, I will use a double SpiderPro system on a Think Tank belt with suspenders and a double Op/Tech pro loop strap which allows me to keep the cameras on my hips but gives me the security of the strap when I take one of them up to shoot. Looks weird, but I gave up worrying about how I look when I'm shooting a long time ago!

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
Blackrapid RS-Sport.  Works great, and is very comfy for all day use.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »
Black Rapid deservedly has a lot of very happy users, and for good reason, it's an evolved design and they just work. I also use the quite amazing Spider Pro System http://www.spiderholster.com/ This gets the bodies off the neck & shoulder, and puts the weight on the hips. It's a great setup for events shooting and sports like track & field where I routinely shoot with 3 bodies, two of which travel on the Spider Pro belt. They are 1-Series bodies with 24-70 and another with 70-200. A 300 f/2.8 is on a third body on a monopod. I can RUN with this setup.

But this is still an evolving science. Just a little heads up about the attachment method of both Black Rapid and the Spider Pro pins. They screw into either the tripod thread on the base of the body, or into the thread in the collar of longer lenses like 70-200 and 300 f/2.8 etc. Was this designed to handle the stresses imposed by a body and weighty lens? The thread in the lenses will be fine, but the thread on the base of bodies may not be up to the job. Think about how this thread is attached into the body. It's not tapped into the body proper, it's an insert into the body.

Some time ago when threading a Spider Pro pin into the grip of a 5D body, the thread insert just popped straight out of the grip. Admittedly I was tightening it pretty firmly, but still...makes you think dunnit?

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
Sun Sniper. It has a metal wire for added safety and a shock absorber built into the strap that you barely notice is there. I compared it to the Black rapids and felt it was the more comfortable strap.

I used it on a trip to the Dominican republic with a 5D2 and a 24-105 ( EVERY DAY-ALL DAY) and barely felt the weight of that kit.

- BTW, I do use the Black rapid as my two camera harness. couldn't find one from Sun Sniper.
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
Black Rapid RS-7

The only downside of the RS series of straps is that you generally need to keep a hand on your camera so that it doesn't swing around while you're walking. The RS straps work great while you're shooting, but not so great for long walks. I tend to put my camera in a Lowe Pro while I'm walking. But while shooting, the RS straps do a great job of keeping the strap out of the way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »