April 19, 2014, 08:00:20 PM

Author Topic: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!  (Read 11657 times)

Peter C Photography

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
+1 on the Sun Sniper.  I haven't tried the black rapid offering but I've been very happy with the Sun Sniper.  Very good padding, and the shock absorber helps when you're lifting a full frame w/ a white lens.  Since it screws into the tripod mount on the lens or on the camera (as I'm sure other brands do), the balance is great and you can hide the setup under an open jacket so that when you have it down, it's hiding under the back of your jacket.  You can also do get it setup so that when you have it down it will hang under a backpack.  I wouldn't worry about the swinging, perhaps it's because I'm paranoid, but I always seem to have my right hand on the camera so I can pull it up to my eye to shoot or to make sure it doesn't swing around.  Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunbounce-Sun-Sniper-Strap-Black/dp/B0045J5AAC/ref=pd_cp_p_0

I've never used the canon straps but I'm sure you won't go back
5DIII⎪60D⎪50 f/1.2L⎪100 f/2.8L IS macro⎪24-70 f/2.8L II⎪24-105 f/4L IS⎪70-200 f/2.8L IS II⎪100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS⎪EF 2x III⎪ST E3 RT⎪2 x 600EX RT⎪Fujifilm X100 ⎪GoPro Hero2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcpmcpmc

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Black Rapid RS-7. I use one on my 100-400 & ungripped 7D. It doesen't hit my tripod like neck straps do. The gripped 7D lives on a tripod mounted tele.
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

crasher8

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
RS-7

jsbraby

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »
I have and use both a BlackRapid RS-5 and a SunSniper (depending on which bag I grab). I love both straps. And I loathe the stock strap to camera connector; I have no confidence that they wouldn't unscrew on me while I walk and the camera spins.

Happily there is a fix. I use a major brand Arca-Swiss compatible L-plate on all my bodies (Kirk, RRS, I don't think it matters). So instead of screwing the strap lug into the tripod socket on the camera or the L-plate, I bought a Wimberly C-12 clamp (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/C12-compatibility.cfm) for each strap I use.

The Wimberly clamp has three set screws surrounding it's threaded socket. I removed the rubber gasket from the strap connector, screwed it into the Wimberly clamp as tight as I could, then set all thee set screws. End result is that the Wimberly clamp cannot come free from the strap no matter how hard I try to twist it off. Then I clamp the camera to the strap with the clamp knob facing forward so it's not hitting my leg/hip when I walk (the lens hits first).

With this arrangement I have confidence that the camera won't unthread from the strap, I can move the strap between camera bodies, and it's freaking easy to get the strap off when I need to use a tripod.

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »
Black Rapid Sport....it's a little more fitted around the neck and shoulder area...gripped 5D3 and 70-200 2.8 ii, att via the tripod mount....balances nicely...

Have yet to find any issue with the mount unscrewing, a little bit of spit on the rubber washer then tighten it down, works a charm.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 05:15:46 AM »
I must be a bit slow and I don't think I get it.  When I look at the BlackRapid straps, they just look like regular camera straps.  Ok, I get that the strap can move independently to the shoulder pad and that hanging the camera upside down can allow you to bring it to eye level faster.  I'm cool with that and I appreciate that alone might be enough reason to consider them.  But as far as being a comfortable camera strap to use all day, do they differ significantly to any other camera strap with a lot of shoulder padding?  I've got Tamrac N45's on my cameras.  These have a very nice, suede shoulder pad and I find them very comfortable.  But seeing 90% of people here seem to be using the BlackRapid straps, I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »
Sun Sniper Strap imho. But make sure you get the new version!
The old version looks like this:

The new version like this:

Problem about the old version is that the "ball" connection can get used off after some time and then one day ur camera might just fall down. It happened to several people already. Just search online. I think the black rapid strap uses the same system thats why i dont like it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
Happily there is a fix. I use a major brand Arca-Swiss compatible L-plate on all my bodies (Kirk, RRS, I don't think it matters). So instead of screwing the strap lug into the tripod socket on the camera or the L-plate, I bought a Wimberly C-12 clamp (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/C12-compatibility.cfm) for each strap I use.

I do something similar, but I don't like the bulk of the Wimberley C-12 on the strap (I have C-12s on a tripod and a monopod, though). For the strap, I use a Kirk QRC-1 1" clamp, smaller and lighter, but just as strong. I attached the BR FastenR-3 to the clamp with a little LocTite Blue 242 (semi-permanent) on the threads, so no worries about it coming loose.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Phenix205

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
Sun Sniper Strap imho. But make sure you get the new version!
The old version looks like this:

The new version like this:

Problem about the old version is that the "ball" connection can get used off after some time and then one day ur camera might just fall down. It happened to several people already. Just search online. I think the black rapid strap uses the same system thats why i dont like it.

To me the main issue with the SunSniper strap is that you don't have enough torque to tighten the connector and that's why it may get loose over time. The RS7 strap connection mechnism is slightly bulky, but you can use the carabiner to help tighten the connector. To add extra security, I attach an OpTech uni-loop to the right eyelet and snap it to a OpTech swivel hook strap which can be attached to your pant belt loop. During active shooting session, I will disconnect the uni-loop from the swivel hook. If I walk long distance without using the camera, I will connect it and have the peace of mind that The camera will never drop to the ground if the RS7 connector ever comes loose.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:36:27 AM by Phenix205 »
5D3 | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 | 100 L | 40 | 600EX-RT
Sigma 50 1.4A (Waiting)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
The Kirk clamp works great.

I've got a gripped 5DIII and I keep the RSS L-bracket permanently attached. The Kirk clamp, when I'm using the BR strap, goes on the side of the bracket, right above the ports.

The grip actually feels better with the RSS L-bracket than without; it better fits my hand. And I've even got smallish hands.

Cheers,

b&

brianleighty

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
Black Rapid RS-7

The only downside of the RS series of straps is that you generally need to keep a hand on your camera so that it doesn't swing around while you're walking. The RS straps work great while you're shooting, but not so great for long walks. I tend to put my camera in a Lowe Pro while I'm walking. But while shooting, the RS straps do a great job of keeping the strap out of the way.
See that's what scares me. I can see if you're in one spot but you're wanting to take shots with two cameras then it's great to be able to switch back and forth quickly. But for me, I'd mostly be using it in weddings where I'm running around like crazy and don't want to have to always be holding the camera with my hand. If it's adjustable to chest level though then I would think that would give less room for it swing though and there's likely to be less items at that height that you could run into as well.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

DARSON

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
See link below It is not neck strap but definitely will decrease the load from your neck. I'm using it and it is best thing I bought for carrying Pro body with heavy lens. It is expensive but worth it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836943-REG/Cotton_Carrier_124_RTL_D_Camera_Vest_for_All.html
They have few other product that you might check on.
5D Mark III, 5D mark II, 30D
17-40L, 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS IS II L, 70-200mm f4 L, 100L, Tele 1.4III

brianleighty

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
See link below It is not neck strap but definitely will decrease the load from your neck. I'm using it and it is best thing I bought for carrying Pro body with heavy lens. It is expensive but worth it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836943-REG/Cotton_Carrier_124_RTL_D_Camera_Vest_for_All.html
They have few other product that you might check on.

See that looks safer to me since you don't have to worry about it flying out and hitting somebody. A bit out of my price range currently but looks nice.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
Black Rapid deservedly has a lot of very happy users, and for good reason, it's an evolved design and they just work. I also use the quite amazing Spider Pro System http://www.spiderholster.com/ This gets the bodies off the neck & shoulder, and puts the weight on the hips. It's a great setup for events shooting and sports like track & field where I routinely shoot with 3 bodies, two of which travel on the Spider Pro belt. They are 1-Series bodies with 24-70 and another with 70-200. A 300 f/2.8 is on a third body on a monopod. I can RUN with this setup.

-PW

I have BR and Spider setups and am moving forward with the Spider's only.  Most straps don't allow for things like bending over, while the Spider doesn't give them the space beyond pivoting in place.  My only dislike was the plate that Spider uses - it put's a 'C' that two fingers have to fit through if you use your camera vertically.  So I actually ordered the F1 plate from CarrySpeed, the one that has the pin on a pivot - and it works great with the Spider holster.  I'm actually using mine with a Think Tank belt, so I can add a lens carrier and other accessories without having a backpack on.

Here's a list of vendors I pulled from other posts on the boards here:

http://www.carryspeed.com
http://spiderholster.com
http://www.customslr.com
http://www.upstrap-pro.com
http://www.holdfastgear.com
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

ThinkTank, Lowepro, BlackRapid, Op/Tech, Crumpler
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
Do anyone uses a neck/shoulder strap other than the one that comes w/the ESO bodies?  I'm looking for a more comfortable one and would like to know for those of you that uses one other than the one provided by Canon upon purchase of a camera body.  I also have a slight concern on the safety/strenght of some that have easy release clips/buckles.  Are they secure?  I'm shooting w/a 5D M2 and main usage is for walking around the city and vacation and I could use one that's more comforting to the neck.  Thanks for your input!

Black Rapid Straps. Done.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »