September 19, 2014, 10:20:13 PM

Author Topic: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!  (Read 12944 times)

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Re: Need help on neck/Shoulder Strap for camera body...!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
I never use the factory ones either. If brand name is not the most important on your list look at these. As inexpensive they are the first 2 are my fav. I used them on 5D2s, 7D, 60D. They all have quick release.

The targus is very strong, an the neck part is really comfortable. Adjustable length easily can make it a shoulder or neck strap. Has a little extra pocket for an SD card but fit a CF too.. The vivitar has a stretchy neoprene material, which acts as a shock absorber. Great for my neck and it's very easy to remove or adjust. 
The LP worth a look too.

http://www.shopping.com/targus-targus-digital-tg-dwss-wide-shoulder/info

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=740460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1AR0E68309

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
See link below It is not neck strap but definitely will decrease the load from your neck. I'm using it and it is best thing I bought for carrying Pro body with heavy lens. It is expensive but worth it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836943-REG/Cotton_Carrier_124_RTL_D_Camera_Vest_for_All.html
They have few other product that you might check on.

Looks mighty efficient, and I bet the girls go crazy for that Robocop look...

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
See link below It is not neck strap but definitely will decrease the load from your neck. I'm using it and it is best thing I bought for carrying Pro body with heavy lens. It is expensive but worth it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836943-REG/Cotton_Carrier_124_RTL_D_Camera_Vest_for_All.html
They have few other product that you might check on.
See that looks safer to me since you don't have to worry about it flying out and hitting somebody. A bit out of my price range currently but looks nice.

I have not read the whole thread, but I have myself just ordered two Black Rapid RS 7 with the additional strap to secure it even better and two pockets to extra battery and memory card. Hence I have no real experience with it, but after reading alot about different options, this one looked like the right one for me. It was that or the double Spider holster, but the latter looked too professional to me (given that this is not my main job, and I have maybe ten small jobs during the year). However, the idea with the Spider hoster to get all the weight on your hips rather than on your shoulder was tempting.

Getting my Black Rapids on Monday or Tuesday and looking forward to get rid of my Canon straps, and not having to remove the strap whenever you want to take a picture:)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

dswtan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »
The popularity of BR is undeniable in this thread and similar others and best wishes to all, but I want to add another shout-out for the less common Op/Tech. They work well for my needs (serious amateur, not pro), are very flexible (reconfigurable/modular), and have proven to be secure in my experience (2yrs owning).

I see some people worry about plastic clips, but I think I see similar clips are also used on the modular BR RS-7 -- and on military equipment such as helmets. I have also dealt with a fair amount of metal fatigue in my time, so metal clips can fail too.

The main thing that drew me to Op/Tech was the flexibility for rapid use on a tripod -- I want to minimize any excuses I might have to use a tripod as often as posisble (I'm mostly landscape/nature), and I couldn't find any good quick solutions for BR or others with Arca plates.

Op/Tech allows me to have a permanent L-plate, handstrap (3rd party), and completely configurable sling and neck strap -- and it's low cost too (though this was not the main driver, personally). 

I have no affiliation with Op/Tech -- just a happy customer!
http://500px.com/dswtan  |  5D3, 7D, IR 5D2, IR M, G15

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

agree on RS-7....I don't even know where my Canon neck strap now a day. ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
The popularity of BR is undeniable in this thread and similar others and best wishes to all, but I want to add another shout-out for the less common Op/Tech. They work well for my needs (serious amateur, not pro), are very flexible (reconfigurable/modular), and have proven to be secure in my experience (2yrs owning).

I see some people worry about plastic clips, but I think I see similar clips are also used on the modular BR RS-7 -- and on military equipment such as helmets. I have also dealt with a fair amount of metal fatigue in my time, so metal clips can fail too.

The main thing that drew me to Op/Tech was the flexibility for rapid use on a tripod -- I want to minimize any excuses I might have to use a tripod as often as posisble (I'm mostly landscape/nature), and I couldn't find any good quick solutions for BR or others with Arca plates.

Op/Tech allows me to have a permanent L-plate, handstrap (3rd party), and completely configurable sling and neck strap -- and it's low cost too (though this was not the main driver, personally). 

I have no affiliation with Op/Tech -- just a happy customer!
Thanks for that suggestion. I might try them out. BR is too expensive to just try out but these are cheap enough to see if I even like it. The reviews on Amazon all seem pretty good too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Thanks All for all your feed back thus far.  There seems to be a few very good products.  I do have a question for anyone who has ever used the Carry Speed sling strap.  They seem to be a newer company.  Has anyone ever used either the FS-SLIM Camera Sling Strap with F-1 Foldable Mounting Plate or the FS-PRO camera sling strap with F-1 foldable mounting plate version?  If so, please identify which one you've used and on what camera body and what's your opinion of it?  Thanks alot!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »
Another vote for Black Rapid.  RS-7 is what I use.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
Only because I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet:

I had the Domke 1.5" strap with swivel carabiners first. It's ok but not great, especially since the wide version is not available without the swivel thingies.

I then found the Crumpler strap without clips. It's nice, wide and comfortable - and unsuspicious looking. Only negative is that it gets tangled more easily when stored. Not a big deal though.

I personally decided against anything that is attached to the tripod socket of the battery grip only.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
We use "The Cinch" by Luma Labs.  The length is easily adjustable so that the camera can be held securely close to your body when your not using it.  My girl friend and I have them on several cameras.

+1,000!
I use the Cinch Strap by Luma Labs too, and it is a fantastic shoulder sling.  Diifferent from all the others, in a way I really appreciate.  http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

1.)  It is more secure because it mounts on TWO points instead of just one.  It cannot "twirl" as easily if it is attached at 2 points instead of just dangling by one point, if you picture that.
2.)  The titular "CINCH-ing" action is brilliant.  Slack it out for room to shoot with.  Snug it up tight for secure walking around.
3.)  They now have a "membrane connector"  so you can leave any tripod plate mounted at all times while also having the strap connected.  Even if your tripod plate is just a solid piece with no strap slot.  http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:49:43 PM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

OliverO

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
I like the Camdapter system: a tripod mounting plate, hand strap, and shoulder strap that work together. One end of the shoulder strap attaches to the camera's normal strap lug and the other to the tripod mounting plate.
I like handstraps because I have small hands, and the strap feels like it gives me a more secure grip on the camera. And the shoulder strap lets the camera hang comfortably at hip level (or wherever you adjust it to), with the lens pointing down. The tripod mounting plate is available in versions compatible with Arca Swiss, Manfrotto, and maybe another brand or two. The handstrap and the padded part of the shoulder strap are leather, and are available in black, several shades of brown, and even some more interesting designs with rhinestones or snakeskin. I find it comfortable enough to carry a 5D3 with a 70-300 lens attached.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:38:52 PM by OliverO »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
The Camdapter looks great - if my bodies didn't already have two lugs (7D is gripped), and I didn't already have a pair of E1 Handstraps, I'd use that system.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
I wrote a nice reply with lots of good info and other ideas not already stated here but no matter what I do, I can't post it.  All I get is "Access Denied - Security Block" or a 403 Error.  If I preview it, all I see is "Fetching Preview..."
I've tried logging in and out, different browsers, whatever.  Just this message took hours to post.  I give up.  Bummer.  What a waste of time.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »
OK, Wow.  Tried to post again this morning... with success!  Finally!

Lots of good info people have shared here.  I've used many straps over the last 3 years.  Lots of Black Rapids which are great.  Carry  Speed.  Cotton.  Lately, I've been using the BosStrap.  It is a lot simpler, softer and lighter than the others.  It is less distracting too.

http://www.bosstrap.com/

As I read through this post, I would also like to make sure everyone is aware of the M-Plate Pro which I haven't used but looks very high quality and well thought out.

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro

The Cinch Strap has my attention.  I may have to try one sometime.  At $70 it's not cheap but since all my photography is on the go, a quality strap system is very important to me.

Finally, I have a Nikon AH-4 wrist strap on all my SLRs.  It has a slot on the mount plate that I put a small steel key ring through which is what I attach all my different strap connectors to.  The key ring is large enough to allow a large Black Diamond Climbing Carabiner to go through.  I put the carabiner over my leather belt and it provides a good locking "hook" that I can hang the camera off of.  It is low profile so people don't see a big strap, just a camera on my hip.  I carry the camera in my hand half the time anyway and the Nikon AH-4 allows my hand to rest.  I use the carabiner to free up my hand when eating or whatever.  I never lay my camera down anywhere.  The carabiner is great when at my son's school stuff or a wife's work party and I don't want to look like I have a lot of camera gear on.  (The SLR is geeky enough already.)

Keep all the good suggestions rolling everyone!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:14:53 AM by RustyTheGeek »
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
Thanks All for all your inputs and ideas.  It was tough deciding on which to get.  I finally came down to two choices, Luma Labs Cinch & Carry Speeds FS Pro.  At first I leaned towards CS FS, but at the end, pulled the trigger on LLC (put in the order today).  The determining factor for me was how LLC strap is connected to two points on the camera and not just one.  But aside, I liked everything else on CS FS system.  The two points connection is important to me as I would feel it's 'more secure'.  Thanks again All!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »