July 23, 2014, 08:43:50 AM

Author Topic: Need advice on buying equipment  (Read 1592 times)

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Need advice on buying equipment
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
i couldnt find this anywhere on the forum so i figured i would use this as my first post.
I currently have a 50mm 1.8, 24-105 f4, 70-200mm 2.8, 5d mark ii, 60d, 580ex ii, h4n
i have money i have to spend at Best buy and i can not decide what to get. I have thought about a studio flash or new lens.
the flash i am looking at is http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elinchrom+-+Style+500/500BXRi+Studio+Strobe+Light+Kit/2663916.p?id=1218343206104&skuId=2663916&st=elinchrom&cp=1&lp=8
I dont exactly have a lens picked out but here is what i shoot.
I shoot equal amounts of video and pictures, I only make money off of pictures currently, for pictures i mostly do weddings, senior pic and family pics.
For video i do a wide range of things from short documentaries for my church to promo video for groups in my town.
i am open to recommendations other then just strobes or lens but those seem to be where i end up. I do want something  that can still help me make money or improve my video skill where i can start getting paid more for those things. I do believe in buying good quality equipment that will last. I will eventually buy the 70-200mm 2.8 is ii in trade for the non-is i have now. any wisdom from people smarter than me would be amazingly helpful. Love this forum and read through most post about everyday! thanks for you help!

canon rumors FORUM

Need advice on buying equipment
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: Need advice on buying equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
If you were talking about lenses I would sell you non is 70-200 and get the is ii version especially for weddings and portraits.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
Lightroom 4 if you don't have it already?  It can be made to do good things for stills.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Plato the Wise

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:52:18 AM »
If you don't know what you want, then your probably not ready to buy anything.

Have you worked with lighting? Do you have a flash meter? If the answer is no  -  I would find someone knowledgable who has strobes and a light meter to show you the ropes before jumping in.

Purchasing a new lense is never a bad idea -  but if I had 70-200 already, I wouldn't upgrade right away unless it was my go to lens. I might invest in a fast prime - especially for weddings where lighting is dim. You can rent to test these or find a friend who will let you try theirs.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
I think you'd find the IS very handy on the 70-200, I've got the IS II and their reputation is well deserved. I don't know much about studio lighing but looking at that kit I guess one thing to consider is whether you'll always have easy access to mains power at events or maybe you want to look at something that can run off batteries?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
i couldnt find this anywhere on the forum so i figured i would use this as my first post.
I currently have a 50mm 1.8, 24-105 f4, 70-200mm 2.8, 5d mark ii, 60d, 580ex ii, h4n
i have money i have to spend at Best buy and i can not decide what to get. I have thought about a studio flash or new lens.
the flash i am looking at is http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elinchrom+-+Style+500/500BXRi+Studio+Strobe+Light+Kit/2663916.p?id=1218343206104&skuId=2663916&st=elinchrom&cp=1&lp=8
I dont exactly have a lens picked out but here is what i shoot.
I shoot equal amounts of video and pictures, I only make money off of pictures currently, for pictures i mostly do weddings, senior pic and family pics.
For video i do a wide range of things from short documentaries for my church to promo video for groups in my town.
i am open to recommendations other then just strobes or lens but those seem to be where i end up. I do want something  that can still help me make money or improve my video skill where i can start getting paid more for those things. I do believe in buying good quality equipment that will last. I will eventually buy the 70-200mm 2.8 is ii in trade for the non-is i have now. any wisdom from people smarter than me would be amazingly helpful. Love this forum and read through most post about everyday! thanks for you help!

I'd get PCB Eisenstein's over these elinhromes anyday. They're a more versatile mono-light.

Who use's a light meter anymore? I certainly don't and most pro I know don't either. I could see it if you are shooting MF film or Large Format Film for landscapes but 35MM for portraits? Nah, learn the RGB histogram and be freed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:07:35 PM by RLPhoto »

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
Ok cool i looked into the Paul C Buff and they are pretty awesome and i am kinda sold on switching to them. I am still stuck with getting a lens or an accessory that i have to purchase from bestbuy. I have money and gift cards that can only be spent there. They total to about $1000. Any recommendations on lens? I will switch up to the 70-200mm is ii but i am going to wait for right now because i would have to sell mine and hopefully not lose to much on it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
Who use's a light meter anymore? I certainly don't and most pro I know don't either. I could see it if you are shooting MF film or Large Format Film for landscapes but 35MM for portraits? Nah, learn the RGB histogram and be freed.
I bought my first light meter a couple of weeks ago, and I love it.  But I do still shoot film fairly regularly... Besides that, I like being able to get accurate exposures off-the-bat, rather than having to use trial and error.  YMMV.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »