April 23, 2014, 03:45:11 AM

Author Topic: Adorama is selling 5d3 for $2745 on eBay now  (Read 31585 times)

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
Re: Adorama is selling 5d3 for $2745 on eBay now
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
Looks like the price just jumped back up! Congrats to those who nabbed the deal while it lasted!

Thanks! Got mine ordered. Anyone wanna pay $3,250 for it? I won't take it out of the box! ;)
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Annoying, been waiting all summer to go back to full frame and hopefully do so staying with Canon.  Finally get the money Friday but won't be in bank till Tuesday and just having to sit here and watch stuff like this lol.  "Cool 5D III price that makes more sense."  "S___, there it goes again."  It's most annoying that in reality it's hard to imagine that kind of price drop sticking in one go like this.  Soooo it would have been nice to hop on this.  Guess come Tuesday I just keep refreshing Adorama ebay lol. 

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
I probably shouldn't, but I can't resist commenting.

With a single retailer offer like this, don't presume it indicates anything about Canon, the 5DIII or the pace of sales. It might, but there are just too many variables to know.

Canon enforces a "lowest advertised price" restriction that dealers must adhere to. There are ways around that. eBay may be one of those ways. Another is to offer special deals though internet sites like this. I was able to get the 70-300 L in the spring at a deep discount from Adorama through a one-day link that this website had posted.

Adorama seems to be trying more of these promotions. If you go to Canon Price Watch you'll see that they are offering occasional deals through that site. I don't know what their strategy is, but whatever it is, I like it. We as consumers benefit.

I do have a hard time believing Adorama would be selling anything at a loss. Someone mentioned Canon's fiscal year. If it had anything to do with Canon, we would see other major retailers offering the same pricing. It may have more to do with Adorama's fiscal year or inventory practices. It could be possible that Adorama calculated their costs and figured that earning $50 or so profit on the units, along with some tax savings by reducing inventory, made it worthwhile. I don't know.

Or, maybe their inventory computers just decided they were getting too much stock and it wasn't moving fast enough so they decided to opt for a smaller profit and clear room for the 6D before Christmas.

This sale occurred just before Rosh Hashanah. I don't know if there is any connection there either.  Adorama is closed from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday morning. Don't know if their fiscal year coincides with the religious calendar.

My takeaway:
  • It is crazy to presume that a single sale by a single retailer is a clear indicator of anything at all about the 5DIII.
  • Presuming that Adorama still made a small profit on these units, it seem like Canon is offering a pretty generous margin for its retailers
  • Everyone talks about Canon being greedy but if they are really giving retailers a nearly $800 margin on the 5DIII, it's not greed, but something else. They may be trying to protect and preserve their worldwide dealer network during tough economic times. It certainly could be a smart business move as well: give retailers a bigger profit margin than the competitors and they have a bigger incentive to promote your product.

I don't know the answers, but one thing is sure: it's great for consumers.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
I was one of the lucky few who got the $2800 5D3 deal from Beach Camera...  but in a mere couple weeks I went from thinking I got the best deal ever to thinking I got ripped off by $50.   :o  Can't say I'm upset though - at the time the $2800 deal was the best one yet.  Hopefully a similar significant price drop happens with the 24-70 II in a few months!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:36:23 PM by jabbott »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
USD 2745 is about the correct price for a 5D III. About equal to or slightly less than what a Nikon D800 costs.
It will soon be the general price level, once all those orders by people who are willing to pay any price are filled.

With the Nikon D600 out Canon is going to suffer big time if they do not cut prices very rapidly ... and if the 6D will really be as crappy as the leaked specs indicate. I just love it. Got a 7D ... and do not mind waiting a little longer for my 5D for USD 2500.

JasonATL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
Doh! After waiting to talk to my wife about it and her definitely approving of it, I went to order it... and it is now sold out!  :'(

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Doh! After waiting to talk to my wife about it and her definitely approving of it, I went to order it... and it is now sold out!  :'(
Deals like this are typically one day or less.  Someone will be doing it again, so be ready.
As long as the global downturn in the economy continues, there will be bargains.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

matt2491

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I paid $3499 in full for my 5D3 a couple months ago. I don't feel sour towards these new lower prices at all.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
i'm so tempted to pull the trigger. Whats even better, its from a store i purchase stuff from without problems. Now, i just have to sneak it by the wife.  :-\
I see you have the same problem as me.  :-\

whats sad/funny for me, i tell her about how much i save, she just gives me that look. damn, i can't win. :'(

I see you both have the same problem I have =)  and no... the " but babe, I'm saving X amount of $" argument doesn't work with her either!
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »

I just hope there'll be similar offers around Christmas.  :-\
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

PabloHoneySF

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »

As soon as I saw the post and checked it out, I had to sit patiently and wait for my husband to return from an errand.  I pretty much jumped on him like an overeager labrador as soon as he walked through the door to see if I could go ahead with it and he had the nerve to say that he had to "think about it"... thus walking to his "office" aka, the bathroom.

After standing outside outside the door tapping my foot, I just decided to make an executive decision and go for it.

After he came out, 20 minutes later- I might add-, he said "Sweetie, I know you've been wanting this for a few years now, why don't you go ahead?"

I just smiled and said "Thank you"  ;)

Sorry you missed out this time around JasonATL, at least you know you have permission for the next time :)

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
Reselling mine on eBay as of Wednesday, taking offers at 3200 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 overnight.

Honestly this has more to do with the Jewish holiday. Adorama probably doesn't sell much between now and Tuesday night anyways they boost sales with this deal and don't offend canon because it's sold through their eBay store.

TriGGy

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
I paid $3499 in full for my 5D3 a couple months ago. I don't feel sour towards these new lower prices at all.

+1... me about a month ago. I love this camera! The purchase is worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
Hey, any of you used their Bill Me Later payment method? I could be wrong but it says in the payment section that even through Bill Me Later, you have to pay in full (the full amount of $2700+) at the time of purchase. Or am I reading it wrong? :/

Sigh, it seems that offer is over now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:25:52 PM by killswitch »

Kliphten

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
Hey, any of you used their Bill Me Later payment method? I could be wrong but it says in the payment section that even through Bill Me Later, you have to pay in full (the full amount of $2700+) at the time of purchase. Or am I reading it wrong? :/

Sigh, it seems that offer is over now.

For future reference, you do not have to pay the full amount at time of purchase when checking out with Bill Me Later.  The purpose of Bill Me Later is to let you pay later.  Sounds like you didn't put an order because you didn't know for sure which is a total bummer.  Hopefully another deal comes along and you can pick yourself up one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »