November 20, 2014, 09:48:27 PM

Author Topic: 24-70 vs 24-70 II Outdoors Test! WHOOAAA!!!b  (Read 11276 times)

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
24-70 vs 24-70 II Outdoors Test! WHOOAAA!!!b
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
Since people asked... Here are some outdoors comparisons...
First thing I must say is the new lens is exactly 10% brighter. For this comparison, I adjusted ONLY the brightness and made them both as close as I could.
At first glance, they look almost the same. There are 3 crops. Center, Left and Right.
Not only the old lens gets blurry on the edges, but also the horizon line drops significantly! I drew a red horizon line on all crops to illustrate the effect... The new lens has an almost perfect horizon line all the way thru... Amazing!
Sharpness is just awesome. The buildings on the center are probably 3 miles away and the 2 towers on the right hand side are over 6 miles away... Still there is enough detail in them and this is just a 70mm lens.
Check out the Subway billboard on the right... Unbelievable!
I am not a landscape photographer but I used the lens for the first time to shoot a model. In another forum topic I complained about how many out of focus or soft images I was getting out of my 1D X. I was disappointed and frustrated. I must say that I didn't miss any today. ALL images are super sharp and the focus is spot on! I am happy again! The old 24-70 will be on ebay tomorrow!  :P

Here are the links to the comparisons... Just rollover the image to switch and prepare to be amazed!
If you are an outdoors photographer, the perfect horizon line and the sharp edges should be a life changing experience  ;)

One more Thing. Since the lens is brighter, it seems more light goes into th sensor, it is even better for low
Light situations. I would guess it's
Like 2 stops brighter. At the studio,  When i used to need ISO 640, today I used ISO 400! Same
Lighting setup! Awesome!

Hope u enjoy!

Cheers

Patrick

http://clicstudio.com/2470test.html

http://clicstudio.com/2470test2.html

http://clicstudio.com/2470test3.html

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:19:51 AM by clicstudio »
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

24-70 vs 24-70 II Outdoors Test! WHOOAAA!!!b
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
Re: 24-70 vs 24-70 II Outdoors Test! WHOOAAA!!!b
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »
Wow, that lens seems a lot sharper. Very very nice.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
Patrick, FYI, the second and third links are the same...
However I put in http://clicstudio.com/2470test3.html and it worked.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
Patrick, FYI, the second and third links are the same...
However I put in http://clicstudio.com/2470test3.html and it worked.
Thanx. I Just fixed it.  :o
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
Great demo, it's crystal clear. Thanks for posting. As far as the horizon goes, I am right to observe that the bottom of the 24-70 I pic is sightly tilting to the right. Could this explain ?

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »
Great demo, it's crystal clear. Thanks for posting. As far as the horizon goes, I am right to observe that the bottom of the 24-70 I pic is sightly tilting to the right. Could this explain ?
I shot these hand held so I straightened both photos slightly. The red horizon line went from left to right almost perfectly on the new lens and dropped at the edges on the old one. The flat line falls only at the edges. Is not an angle issue. I just couldn't believe how bad the old lens is... I thought I had the best lens for the last 6 years.
Canon waited too long but the wait is over and now, a perfect match for the 1D X...
My new "perfect" setup: 1D X, 24-70 II, SpeedLite 600 EX, Lexar
Pro 1000x 16GB Compact Flash. Just doesn't get any better than this.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:49:19 AM »
Landscapes are one thing, but how is the af for fast close up stuff? I actually find the old 24-70 to have very good af. Is the new one like the 70-200 that doesn't rotate but jumps to focus?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:49:19 AM »

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 03:08:20 AM »
Landscapes are one thing, but how is the af for fast close up stuff? I actually find the old 24-70 to have very good af. Is the new one like the 70-200 that doesn't rotate but jumps to focus?
As I said, I am not a landscape photographer. I just did this comparison because people asked for it.
I used it for the first time in the studio today. It was perfect. Didn't miss one photo. Great and fast.
I was having a lot of out of focus pictures with my new 1D X and the old lens. Problems I never had with the 1D Mark IV. I thought I had a defective camera or that it wasn't good enough. Turns out it was the Old lens that couldn't keep up with the speed of the new AF system...
I will be selling the old baby right away. If anybody is interested, let me know before I throw it on eBay.  ;)

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:26:08 AM »
As I said, I am not a landscape photographer. I just did this comparison because people asked for it.
I used it for the first time in the studio today. It was perfect. Didn't miss one photo. Great and fast.
I was having a lot of out of focus pictures with my new 1D X and the old lens. Problems I never had with the 1D Mark IV. I thought I had a defective camera or that it wasn't good enough. Turns out it was the Old lens that couldn't keep up with the speed of the new AF system...
I will be selling the old baby right away. If anybody is interested, let me know before I throw it on eBay.  ;)

Thanks, but in studio is hardly fast action now is it?

I find it very strange your old 24-70 was worse on the 1d X than on the 1d4 though af-wise. I have had all sorts of lenses and with better bodies they have always been better, at least with AF. The worst AF-lens of all (at least speed) the 85 L II is twice as fast on the 1d X than it was on the 5d3 for example, I can use it for moving subjects now.

And when you said in studio, where you still in One Shot mode?

BTW, checked your website, and you have some seriously good skills, cudos! Oh, and pretty models as well ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:31:13 AM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »

Thanks, but in studio is hardly fast action now is it?

I find it very strange your old 24-70 was worse on the 1d X than on the 1d4 though af-wise. I have had all sorts of lenses and with better bodies they have always been better, at least with AF. The worst AF-lens of all (at least speed) the 85 L II is twice as fast on the 1d X than it was on the 5d3 for example, I can use it for moving subjects now.

And when you said in studio, where you still in One Shot mode?

BTW, checked your website, and you have some seriously good skills, cudos! Oh, and pretty models as well ::)
I don't do fast action. Just girls. I move around a lot. I zoom in and out all the time and wait to hear the AF beep and visually see the red point Light up to shoot in One Shot.  I usually focus on the face but since the focusing points are
Too close to the center, if I'm shooting full body, I have to pick a part of the body  that Is contrasty.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »
I can't fault your work, it's very nice. But, i don't know about your numbers. 10% brighter does not = 2 stops. 10% brighter is nothing. and iso 640to iso 400 is not 2 stops either. these numbers just don't make any sense but again, your photos are very good, so who cares about math anyway?

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »
I can't fault your work, it's very nice. But, i don't know about your numbers. 10% brighter does not = 2 stops. 10% brighter is nothing. and iso 640to iso 400 is not 2 stops either. these numbers just don't make any sense but again, your photos are very good, so who cares about math anyway?
The 10% is a sure thing. I tested it out in photoshop.
I am just guessing the stops. It really feels like an F2.0 lens.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »
A difference in lenses both rated f2.8 is absolutely possible regarding how much light actually ends up on the sensor. It happened before and will likely happen again. It is a good thing indeed that you can shoot at slightly lower ISOs with the newer zoom, especially combined with the 1D-X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
Amazing!
Sharpness is just awesome. The buildings on the center are probably 3 miles away and the 2 towers on the right hand side are over 6 miles away... Still there is enough detail in them and this is just a 70mm lens.
Check out the Subway billboard on the right... Unbelievable!I am not a landscape photographer but I used the lens for the first time to shoot a model. In another forum topic I complained about how many out of focus or soft images I was getting out of my 1D X. I was disappointed and frustrated. I must say that I didn't miss any today. ALL images are super sharp and the focus is spot on! I am happy again! The old 24-70 will be on ebay tomorrow!  :P

Here are the links to the comparisons... Just rollover the image to switch and prepare to be amazed!
If you are an outdoors photographer, the perfect horizon line and the sharp edges should be a life changing experience  ;)

One more Thing. Since the lens is brighter, it seems more light goes into th sensor, it is even better for low
Light situations. I would guess it's
Like 2 stops brighter. At the studio,  When i used to need ISO 640, today I used ISO 400! Same
Lighting setup! Awesome!

Hope u enjoy!

Cheers

Patrick

http://clicstudio.com/2470test.html

http://clicstudio.com/2470test2.html

http://clicstudio.com/2470test3.html

Holy crap!  A footlong for just $4.50!
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
First off, thanks for putting up some actual pictures using both the old vs new 24-70 lenses.

I looked at all 3 test crops and there is visible handshake in all 3 tests in the 2nd photo in each series. On one example you cannot read the SubWay sign plus there looks like a circular smudge in the trees just an inch or two below that green billboard. If you had used a tripod and shutter release, it would have been a lot better.

However, my main interest is colour. I use the 24-70 mark 1 and I've always noticed that it requires minimal to no colour correction in Photoshop CS6. I took both of your original images the JPeG ones into PS because there is a huge colour difference between them - just look at the grey tarmac road surface on the bottom left of the image (including the car parking spaces); on the mark 1 it appears grey, but on the new lens it appears reddish (plus the trees in the forest have more of a brownish hue).

The RGB histogram in PS shows that there is much more colour saturation using the older lens - clearly by a big margin.

Secondly, I performed a simple test and used the Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color in PS and re-saved the jpegs (see below). Don't know if PS screwed these up or not, but all I know is that a lot of people use the Auto features to save time.

The new lens may be sharper, but I still prefer the colour from the original.
Perhaps, but you can fix the color balance in 2 seconds in Photoshop but you can't fix the lack of sharpness or the edge distortion.  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »